• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

yea greylag has been one of bogey birds since i started birding a bit like the lesser woody but not as rare.......also good point mr sim i will try and go to my secret spot in a few days and try for a LSW again i am bound to get that bugger soon:-O

This weeken should be a good time to get out searching for Lesser Peckers if you can - plenty of sun about so they should be calling...
I had a pair of siskins on our feeders this morning before school. Very nice! First migrants Chiffchaffs should be arriving any day now, theres already a few arriving on the coast.

Hi there i am not a young birder i have been birding over 25yrs been reading the posts on LS Woodpecker i thought i would give some advice on looking for them.When looking for LSW if you hear one calling it is a good idea to scan the upper and outer most branches of the trees they are not often seen close to the trunk.I have found them by doing that a few times.Where i live in the Northeast of England they are a very scarce and i dont see them every year infact the last one i saw was 4 yrs ago. Hope my advice is some help in seeing one.

Last edited:
sorry for the late answer Nick i live in Dorset,Bournemouth and saw the greylags at Ibsley water near blashford lakes(i dont know if blashford is beyond the boundries of dorset)

Female Siskin still on the feeders this morning...will probably go Lesser Pecker hunting again tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on...

I had my first Chiffchaff of the year singing just down the road. Also 2 Goosanders at Denver Sluice. An attempt at finding some Lesser Peckers failed, but I did get 2 Woodcock and 3 Siskin. I'm so glad I've finally got a summer migrant!

After a lot of hard work I was clued up yesterday on a reliable secret site for Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers and went after school today, 25 minutes after arrival I found a male and female; calling, chasing each other, displaying etc- brilliant. Makes a change from wandering around a massive wood for hours without even glimpsing one!

Very well done David - it helps to know people! I hope we (Britain) can map this species better in the future and be motivated to find more birds...or less, as the case may be!

So the Lesser pecker discusion goes on! lol
Forget about them and wait until one jumps onto your face, thats the way to see one!
Had Woodlark last week-end, but birding slowly dying down coz of stupid (but important!) exams.

After a lot of hard work I was clued up yesterday on a reliable secret site for Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers and went after school today, 25 minutes after arrival I found a male and female; calling, chasing each other, displaying etc- brilliant. Makes a change from wandering around a massive wood for hours without even glimpsing one!

great job DB,i am still finding the lesser spotted woody impossible to find:-O
let alone two.......but i will find them!!!
on another note i birded around the purbecks today and added a few early migrants.......the best bird seen was a Wheatear, a lovely male in a remote field giving some good views i also heard a chiffchaff briefly while walking but did not see it and a new bird for the yearlist a singing skylark flew up when (accidentally)flushed from another field.

Last edited:
Hi everyone just booked another holidayo:D in scotland and it is in winnock next to the loch and suposed to be Osprays,peregriens,buzzards, red and black throughted divers and 1-3 golden eagles probably not se them they only visit a couple of times anyway i'll try.:t:

heya

Sorry I havent contributed lately but exam pressure is gettign to me and i have been over revising (if thats possible!). Started recordign bird species for Elsea Woods and Bourne in general and Elsea is a good place to see Lesser spots (although I didnt see any on weds when i was last there). Saw a Mrash tit on the feeders and Green and GS woodpeckers. Bourne spinney (out back of the Elsea estate) seemed to be a good spot even though its a popular hangout. Bullfinch and Corn bunting showing nicely there.

So ill try and be on again soon but revision unfortunatey takes priority.

Daniel

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back