View Single Post
Old Friday 6th February 2015, 18:05   #17
opticoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidge View Post
Last year I bought the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 vrii but in the end they were far too heavy and cumbersome to be lugging around. I sold them,so if I were to switch systems it would be have to have lenses of the same quality.
Although with the release of the new 300 are Nikon going to overhall their heavier lenses into a lighter format? Maybe a roadmap for their future productions would be useful in helping me decide whether to stick or not.

Regards Gerard.
Gerard,
Wow. You bought both the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 vrii lenses and then sold them both! I have to agree with Niels: If you are truly interested in these high quality lenses but you want smaller and lighter, then the micro-4/3 equivalents *would* get you the same level of quality with less weight. I have the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 and it is excellent. I don't have the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 but I do have the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 and it too is VERY nice. Both of these are significantly smaller and lighter than the equivalent Nikon alternatives.

If you read my other posts you know that like you, I have the D7100 and I use it with 300mm f/4D with 1.4X teleconverter, and like you I'm very interested in both the new compact Nikon 300mm f/4 VR and the yet-to-be released Olympus 300mm f/4. As more reports and tests come in for the new Nikon 300mm, I may not be able to resist it. I'm sure the image quality of the Olympus 300mm will be great, and I'm guessing I would also prefer the build quality of the Olympus. In terms of size and weight, we don't know yet but the Nikon is SO compact and light that the Olympus might actually end up being heavier. With the Olympus still not available and the Nikon reports just now starting to appear, it is hard to say but I think I will prefer the new Nikon, especially for it's continuous autofocus and birds in flight... The consensus right now is that any mirrorless system still cannot match traditional Canon/Nikon DSLR's for continuous autofocus & tracking ability (the Nikon 1 system comes close, but I just don't like that "consumer-styled" system with it's tiny sensor). I hope Olympus can improve the continuous autofocus to the point where I will prefer their lens. In fact I wonder if that may be why we have been waiting SO LONG for the new Olympus 300mm. They might finally release it with a new body that improves continuous autofocus a bit more.

So I'm not switching systems... For me the solution was to use both Nikon DX and Olympus mu-4/3 systems! I just couldn't resist the Olympus system. It's really beautifully designed, well built, very customizable, with great lenses, more "cutting edge" and fun than Nikon in many ways. Olympus also actually does meaningful updates to the firmware, whereas Nikon never does anything except maybe fix a bug or add support for a new lens. The Olympus menus and controls do take some time to learn. For some people they might go too far in giving you buttons that can be customized (especially on the latest EM-5II).

Dave

Last edited by opticoholic : Friday 6th February 2015 at 18:49.

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation