• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Sorry for jumping in, but I am a young birder:

Residence: Long Island, NY
Life list: 266
Rare/interesting birds I've seen: Snowy owl, California condor, Trumpeter swans, Sandhill cranes, Painted bunting, Arctic tern, Fulvous whistling-duck (On Long Island, very rare)
Favorite birds I've seen: Snowy owl, Condor, Bald eagle, Red-tailed hawk
Favorite birdwatching spots: Lake George NY, Jones Beach NY, Jamaica Bay NY, Montauk NY, Yellowstone WY, Grand Canyon AZ
Biggest mistakes: Initially mistaking a Condor for a Turkey Vulture (almost causing me to miss it), Reporting a "Bridled tern" at Montauk (A Black tern, lovely, but not as rare), mistaking an RC airplace for a peregrine diving
Birds I most want to see: Aplomado falcon, Whooping crane, Northern goshawk, Northern hawk-owl, Gyrfalcon
Bird that has eluded me longest: Eastern screech-owl; heard multiple times, but I just can't find one
Place I want to go birding most: New Zealand

That's basically it. I'm very glad I'm not the only teenage birder on the planet! 3:)

Last edited:
I am still young also:p I have been birding since 2002(I have started in 2001 actually but my regular records started on February 2002) I'm now 20..

My Turkish checklist is 365, and life list is 370.(just a visit to Germany)

300. species in Turkey was Green Warbler(Phylloscopus nitidus)
350. species was White-tailed Plover(Chettusia leucura)
365. was Terek Sandpiper(Xenus cinereus)

I did 483 observations in this four years in Turkey . 483 days in the field..There's only 23 regular species remained which I can see in Turkey.. The others are vagrant.

I Was surprised, even out west, there are people who would love to visit where I live. As I get excited about Steller's jays, Clark's nutcrackers, Mountain chickadees, Swainson's hawks, and Heerman's gulls, people west of the Rockies are begging me to describe to them Blue jays, Northern cardinals, Tufted titmice, Red-shouldered hawks, and Roseate terns. Yeah, you probably could get about 100 in 2 days. From what I seen on some of these threads, people on the other sid of the pond flip out over our American robin! Then again, a Eurasian robin in my yard......

Is Eurasian Robin rare over your way? 3rd most abundant bird in Britain, downright everywhere, and can be very tame too. American Robin has a habit of wintering here only to be reported by non birders after it has left, often been visiting their gardens for months beforehand. Very frustrating. Usually turns up in London, can't think why.

Never heard of Eurasian Robin here, but I'm sure they are very, VERY rare. Had a Eurasian wigeon here once. My dad, brother and I (dad in to birds, not as much as me, brother just along for the ride) saw it on a birdwalk, but by the time the group stopped watching a song sparrow, it had swum around the bend out of sight (if you've watched ducks swim, you know how long they must have been). What would be great is if we got a secretary bird or a griffon vulture over here! (of course, t'would only be fair if you got a bald eagle and a California condor, and I'm sure you're just as likely to get those as we are to get the other two!)

Hey the youth of the Young Birders Thread.
I'm hardly young compared to some of u, but compared to most of the old farts on this forum, I think I can get away with posting on here and introducing myself to the other youth....

I'm Will, I'm 19 and live in four fingured fenland Lincolnshire. Dunno what my life list is, but wrexile1 and kite and others probably do (they seem to have worked it out for me- I'm not that lazy, honest). Dunno what my year list is on either. Last decent birds I saw were Wryneck, Red-breasted Fly (self found), RBShrike and GGShrike- all last weekend.

Oh wait... I can hijack this thread to plug my website http://willsadlib.blogspot.com/

Check your young, you truanting, or excluded for drinking behind the bike-sheds youth like selves.

Will
http://willsadlib.blogspot.com/ (visit it)

I saw only 92 sorts in Poland. It not enough :( In Croatia saw else 6 sorts - case 98 sorts. But I'm obserwing birds only April this year.

The Firecrest said:
Excellent blog Will. AMAZINGLY close pic of a Wryneck, how did you do it?!

It walked up to us. Loads of people got the shots.

Had Pallid Harrier (lifer) and my 5th Rosy Starling in Britain today.

cheers
Will

I reiterate, I am very glad I am not alone in the world! Its great to be able to swap stories with you guys, especially since you are so close to my age, unlike most people on this forum. OK, question I'm throwing out there, what started you guys on birds? Can't say for me, I have always loved them (as a baby i slept with a stuffed snowy owl, which was favored over the teddy bear), but I'd like to hear stories if you guys have them.

TCondorOwl92 said:
I reiterate, I am very glad I am not alone in the world! Its great to be able to swap stories with you guys, especially since you are so close to my age, unlike most people on this forum. OK, question I'm throwing out there, what started you guys on birds? Can't say for me, I have always loved them (as a baby i slept with a stuffed snowy owl, which was favored over the teddy bear), but I'd like to hear stories if you guys have them.

I've enjoyed watching birds, and all wildlife for most of my life. but during this time, I never bothered learning what they where. Then, 2 years ago I began learning the ID's of verious birds, then, a year and a half ago, I got fully hooked when I saw the first ospreys to breed in my country for the first time since they where wiped out in the uk.

TCondorOwl92 said:
what started you guys on birds? Can't say for me, I have always loved them (as a baby i slept with a stuffed snowy owl, which was favored over the teddy bear), but I'd like to hear stories if you guys have them.

Well, for me it all started off when my mother took me on a guided walk where we were looking specifically at insects. I got fascinated in them first, and then I naturally got onto birds a few years ago. And (rather more perversely than Anthony's Ospreys) it was finding my first Redwing near my school that got me really hooked, and finding Waxwings near my house in the winter of 04/05 (before I found out that they were everywhere in that winter!) increased that interest.

P.S. My 300th post!

The Firecrest said:
Is Eurasian Robin rare over your way? 3rd most abundant bird in Britain, downright everywhere, and can be very tame too. American Robin has a habit of wintering here only to be reported by non birders after it has left, often been visiting their gardens for months beforehand. Very frustrating. Usually turns up in London, can't think why.

If you were old enough as us veterans of 16+ years old, you'd remember the two from the 2003/04 winter. ;)

Personally I thought the Grimsby bird was poor, much preferred the Baltimore Oriole in Headington, Oxon.

Howdy folks,

I too am a young birder. 17, from Southampton, Hampshire.

Been birding since I can remember, and twitching the same amount of time.

Wrexile, can't say the Oriole was too bad ;) Scored the Cornwall Robin and Oriole in the same day. Not a bad day! Honestly thought the wall of the house opposite was gunna collapse with ladders and people pushed against and on it.
Sign of a real rarity though: Up-turned and decimated artificial flower beds, scavenged to gain that extra six inches of height, scattered along gardens. ;)

As for starting birding, like I said, been birding and twitching since I can remember. One of my first memories though, is the perfect plumaged adult male Citrine Wag at Fleet Pond, Hants whenever that was! Stunning bird. :eek!:

Sure my email address is on my profile somewhere if anyone wants my msn address or anything.

Lisle x :hippy:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back