• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

Moulting male Ruff dropped into the Flashes as per Andy A. Also now 10 Little Ringed Plover (including 4 juveniles) and a further increase in Avocet numbers to 50 (getting close to the reserve record).

From the Moors Pool Andy P reports a Red Kite north over the North Moors plantation plus the male Wigeon still, 2 Teal, 2 Oystercatcher and a sitting Common Tern.

Last edited:
At the Moors a fox has gained access to the Broadmeadow section of Amy's marsh. It is wading acrosd to the Pool island and then staching BHG chicks. This is unfortunate but highlights how foxes can devastate water birds . There is an anti predator fence in this area but the low water levels have rendered some sections obsolete . More work for the autumn.:t:
Thanks to Alan Giles for info

Andy P further reports from the reserve:

Moors Pool - Coal Tit by feeders at North Moors

Flashes - now 4 Green Sandpiper and 15 Curlew

From the Flashes early morning Andy A reports:

Ruff still, 42 Avocet, 1 Green Sandpiper, 7 Little Ringed Plover

Andy A updates from the Flashes as follows:

51 Avocet, 11 Little Ringed Plover, 4 Green Sandpiper, Pheasant

Male Wigeon still at the Moors Pool as per Andy P

Last edited:
A reserve record of 55 Avocet at the Flashes this morning as per Des; also 2 Green Sandpiper.

12 Little Ringed Plover at the Flashes early morning as per Andy P.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet (56)----------------Green Sand (3)
LRP (12)---------------------Redshank (reported mid afternoon, but not present this evening).
Curlew (15)------------------Lapwing (15)
Teal (6)-----------------------Pheasant

MOORS:
Wigeon(m)-------------Osprey (P & M Lewis). Seen to fly over the east hide and away in a S E direction.
Shoveler (2)-----------Common Tern (2) Still sitting.
Gadwall (1)------------Teal(2)
Cormorant (2)---------Oystercatcher (1)
Herring Gull (2)--------G C Grebe (1)
Starling (c 70)---------Little Grebe (4) +1:1 young

Des.

Last edited:
Purple Hairstreak at Upton Warren

I photographed this butterfly on Monday along the Salwarpe, thinking it was a White-letter Hairstreak. It was flitting around the bushes where this species is usually to be found at UW. I was in the company of Roger (Regor) at the time, who suggested that it might be a Purple Hairstreak. On closer examination his suspicion was proved to be right. I know Purple Hairstreak have been seen at UW before, but this was a first for me. I do believe this species is having a good year, as there are literally hundreds to be seen at Trench Wood at the moment. I'm sure there are more to be seen at Upton Warren. :t:

Attachments

• PHS5.jpg
    PHS5.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 110
I photographed this butterfly on Monday along the Salwarpe, thinking it was a White-letter Hairstreak. It was flitting around the bushes where this species is usually to be found at UW. I was in the company of Roger (Regor) at the time, who suggested that it might be a Purple Hairstreak. On closer examination his suspicion was proved to be right. I know Purple Hairstreak have been seen at UW before, but this was a first for me. I do believe this species is having a good year, as there are literally hundreds to be seen at Trench Wood at the moment. I'm sure there are more to be seen at Upton Warren. :t:

Is that the W L Hairstreak that was reported for Monday or was there a separate sighting? JHWR and myself looked yesterday for the W L Hairstreak in the usual place along the river with no luck. So there has possibly been only one sighting this year and most of the Wych Elms are dead. Lets hope the trees re-grow like they have done in the past.

Des.

Is that the W L Hairstreak that was reported for Monday or was there a separate sighting? JHWR and myself looked yesterday for the W L Hairstreak in the usual place along the river with no luck. So there has possibly been only one sighting this year and most of the Wych Elms are dead. Lets hope the trees re-grow like they have done in the past.

Des.

I believe so Des. I bumped into the chap who had photographed the butterfly at the Moors and, having looked at his photos briefly, wrongly identified it as a White-letter Hairstreak. It was only after observing and photographing the butterfly myself that, in conjunction with Regor, the true identity of the species became clear.

At the flashes this morning were 1 Oystercatcher, 41 Avocet, 4 LRP, 16 Curlew and 4 Green Sandpiper. Water levels are looking good at the moment for wader passage.
It was good to see some Marbled Whites around the Aztec buildings and also at the Moors near the Farm buildings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back