• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best side by side illustrations of Caspian, YLG, Herring etc? (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Hi all,
Which publication in your opinion has the best lineup illustrations of the large white headed gulls in their different age groups so I can get to grips with tertials, coverts, primary patterns etc? I'd rather illustrations than photos ideally.
Thanks
Sean

Well that's the advantage of a paper book, you can look at several pages at once - we had lately a thread where some people considered non-electronic material obsolete, this is exactly the kind of use case. I am afraid that while other books may provide the drawings more conveniently the exhaustivness of the gull bible in terms of plumages and stages is hard to equal.

Herring vs. Caspian gull side by side. Okay, it only works this well for half of the page, comparing the other sides needs some head movement. Still, the level of clarity in both drawings and text is unparalleled and I personally find the addition of photos very helpful.

Not that I can actually ID any large gulls ...

Attachments

• 82294988_163284394934005_6575816894085857280_n.jpg
    82294988_163284394934005_6575816894085857280_n.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 75
Well that's the advantage of a paper book, you can look at several pages at once - we had lately a thread where some people considered non-electronic material obsolete

Open the Collins 'Bird guide' app and click compare... :king:

But agreed, Olsen & Larsson book is the most detailed guide to identify large gulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back