• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (5 Viewers)

West African Crested Tern, another armchair tick with the split of Royal Tern by the IOC. I just hope they can come up with something shorter for the English name.

Dave

Haven't checked all the new IOC splits yet, but at least 3 world armchair ticks (Hudsonian Whimbrel in California, Maghreb Owl in Morocco, Eastern Black-eared Wheatear in Bulgaria & Turkey).

The Little Whimbrel in the Netherlands that kept me on edge during a three-week trip to Myanmar and Thailand (personal highlights: Myanmar: Hooded Treepie, Yellow-breasted Bunting, White-browed Nuthatch, Brown-capped Laughingthrush, Jerdon's Bushchat, Chinese Grass Babbler / Thailand: Giant Nuthatch, Hume's Pheasant, Spot-winged Starling, White-necked Laughingthrush, Black-headed Woodpecker, Dark-sided Thrush).

It's hard to get lifers in the ABA area currently without a special trip, but I did get a new reptile, Texas Cooter, at a conference in Austin...

Keeping fingers crossed that I can pick up a few new birds during spring migration.

Picked up one more new world bird in Arizona, Sagebrush Sparrow, and three new ABA lifers: Rose-throated Becard, Rufous-backed Robin, and Rufous-capped Warbler.

West African Crested Tern by text just after a hairy landing at Gatwick last night! There were quite a lot over the last week but more of that later when I've made a start on the pictures....

John

I believe I had 169 lifers on my trip to Costa Rica, the last of which was a Yellow-headed Caracara that flew over in the busy capital of San Jose.

Gary, I realy want Virginia Rail.
Mine is Merlin from yesterday. I also saw another lifer- Hooded Merganzer. There were three. Two males and a female. So beautuful!

89 in Gambia brought up my 1500 in the world. I couldn't tell you what was number 1500 exactly because of recent armchairs and for that matter a modicum of confusion during the holiday itself about what I needed or didn't (e.g. I thought Pygmy Sunbird was a tick but it turned out I saw it in Kenya years ago). 8-P

And I'm not even going to say the highlights because there will be a report when I've got a grip on the photos (shot nearly 9000, back of camera cull left 3,500, working on about 500). :eek!:

John

... when I've got a grip on the photos (shot nearly 9000, back of camera cull left 3,500, working on about 500). :eek!:

John
NEVER do that, particularly not while still out taking photos! The camera will slot new photos into the empty gaps left by the deletions, leaving all your photos mixed up and out of timed order. A fatal error I discovered a while back! Only delete junk pics after download.

NEVER do that, particularly not while still out taking photos! The camera will slot new photos into the empty gaps left by the deletions, leaving all your photos mixed up and out of timed order. A fatal error I discovered a while back! Only delete junk pics after download.

Mine's never done that and indeed hasn't on this occasion. Are you a Canon user? If not, perhaps you should be..... :t:

John

Never seen this either, as a Canon user. Every shot is given a unique incremental numerical file name, and your next shot is always in sequence regardless of any deleting.

My old fuji finepix did it, and pretty sure my current canon does too, though (since discovering the problem with the fuji) I've been very careful to avoid the risk. I'll have to try a test to see if it does or not. I discovered it on return from a Morocco trip; while out there I'd run out of card space and deleted the useless pics, and then all the new pics from the end of the trip were slotted into the numbering sequence where the deleted pics had been. It is still possible to sort them by the exif time stamps, but very tedious.

Eastern Yellow Wagtail showing at point blank range on dung heap at Sedgeford this morning. Quite a corker in the company of a pair of Pied Wagtails.

Black-throated blue warbler that had been frequenting the suet feeders of a nice Dallas homeowner's side yard for the past 3 weeks. #385, all ABA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back