• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh warbler ? Neusiedlersee, Austria (1 Viewer)

kahraba

Quentin
France
Hello,
browsing through old photos I found this one which looks like a good candidate for Acrocephalus palustris to me, although I initially IDed it as reed warbler.
What are your thoughts about it ?

Neusiedlersee, Austria, august 2018.

Attachments

• acrocephalus.jpg
    acrocephalus.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 160
Ditto to Reed Warbler.

Worth noting, Reed Warbler is only occasionally seen out of reeds; Marsh Warbler is only occasionally seen in reeds - so if it is in reeds (as here), the overwhelming probability is that it's a Reed Warbler :t:

Hello,
browsing through old photos I found this one which looks like a good candidate for Acrocephalus palustris to me, although I initially IDed it as reed warbler. What are your thoughts about it ? Neusiedlersee, Austria, august 2018.

Further to Nutcracker's advice, around Neusiedlersee/Fertö, look out at reedbed edges for clumps of bushes or isolated bushes in the reedbeds; for example at Jois-Seewiesen or Sarród. Ditches or canals with occasional bushes and some reeds are often worth checking out. You might even turn up Bluethroat in those habitats, but these have become much scarcer.
MJB

Ditto to Reed Warbler.

Worth noting, Reed Warbler is only occasionally seen out of reeds; Marsh Warbler is only occasionally seen in reeds - so if it is in reeds (as here), the overwhelming probability is that it's a Reed Warbler :t:

Also worth noting Nutty, Reed Warblers on passage Aug-Oct and late April-May I’ve found in small Churchyards, parks and gardens in totally dry habitats! and that’s been within London’s urban core. :eek!:

Marsh Warblers (and Blyth's Reed) visit reedbeds very typically in early autumn when they are fattening for migration - especially aphids there are an important source of energy. I agree that this bird looks like Reed, although young Marsh and Reed can be very difficult to identify - this is an old story, but still true.

Thank you all for your replies. It was indeed in a small ditch with both reed and bushes, hence my post.
Basically, which morphological criteria leads to reed warbler rather than marsh here ? General (back) colour with brownish sides ?

Thank you all for your replies. It was indeed in a small ditch with both reed and bushes, hence my post.
Basically, which morphological criteria leads to reed warbler rather than marsh here ? General (back) colour with brownish sides ?

Perhaps if it had been shot perched in a more mixed Cow Parsley, Sallow drier situation (no visible reeds), then Marsh Warbler may have been mooted? Especially as the bill appears shorter and stouter than one might ordinarily find on Reed Warbler, also the pale creamy legs again, not normally a Reed Warbler attribute. :eek!:

Cheers

Somewhat darkish upperparts and wing feathers, and not much yellow tinge anywhere, and dark claws point to Reed. Leg colour is of not so much use in young birds, but many Marsh have those more yellow. Call would be useful - Marsh has much like Sedge Warbler (or even Lesser Whitethroat), Reed softer and more "complicated". What can be seen of habitat in photos like this is of no use, and during migration you can see Marsh Warblers even in the wettest parts of reedbed, close to open water. They can also breed in reedbed fringes, but need some bushes then.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back