• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (1 Viewer)

March 21, 2017

A trip to Gedalou Reservoir was not as productive as last week, but still a nice outing. I was fighting a general haze, which made the camera struggle with focus at times and even when it did well the birds were often so distant that I was forced to enlarge the shot to where I started losing resolution. Whereas last time ducks were the stars, this time it was mostly gulls. A few outstanding points though. Sometimes it is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

While trying to get a usable id shot of the Swan Goose far out in the middle of the lake, I just happened to be right where three White Wagtail 'Amur' (leucopsis) coming up from the south swooped down for a brief rest and a drink. Within less than 10 minutes they were once again headed north.

The Great Crested Grebe were claiming territories along the shoreline. One fellow came up from a dive with a fish almost too large to swallow! I got a nice sequence out of his performance.

Unfortunately, I also found a GC Grebe that had what I am sure will prove to be a fatal injury. He was still defending a breeding territory, so the injury must be quite recent, but he has a broken upper bill, which will make it almost impossible to eat. I've used up my allotment for this post, so I will make another posting with those shots.

Black-headed Gull were in abundance out in the middle of the lake with a few Swan Goose and I heard a Hoopoe calling. That was nice to hear as, unlike past winters, it was cold enough that all the Hoopoe abandoned us for the winter.

Gedalou Reservoir, Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Mar 21, 2017 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 kilometer(s)
7 species

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 17
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 340
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 22
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 1
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 7
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) 3
Little Bunting (Emberiza pusilla) 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35344947

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

Attachments

• White Wagtail 'Amur' (leucopsis).jpg
    White Wagtail 'Amur' (leucopsis).jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 77
  • NT4A9826.jpg
    NT4A9826.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 80
  • NT4A9832.jpg
    NT4A9832.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 76
  • NT4A9833.jpg
    NT4A9833.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 69
  • Swan Goose (1).jpg
    Swan Goose (1).jpg
    544 KB · Views: 79
Injured Great Crested Grebe

Injured Great Crested Grebe; more shots

Attachments

• Injured Grebe.jpg
    Injured Grebe.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Injured Grebe (1).jpg
    Injured Grebe (1).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Injured Grebe (2).jpg
    Injured Grebe (2).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Injured Grebe (3).jpg
    Injured Grebe (3).jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 78
March 24, 2017

My birding started early today after being awakened by a loud owl call. This is the second time I have heard this call with the other time being early evening at approximately at 19:30 three days ago. This time it was quiet enough to record without all the background noise. I was unable to figure it out, so I submitted it to the ID forum. I am continued to be impressed with the ID forum as Mark Andrews came up with Little Owl - Athene noctuna. I had not considered that as Brazil's showed it as out of range here, but since Mark's ID I was able to match the call through the IBC sight.

My lack of experience in converting movie files to audio leaves me with a WAV file that the forum says is too large so you can listen to through my eBird report at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35383490

March 25, 2017

A walk around some of the more rural local area turned up a surprise. While scouting around a rural village I came across some caged birds that had either escaped or been released. My attention was captured by the sight of a pair of very long tailed and blocky headed birds flying at the edge of the village and near some mixed timber by some small ponds. I was able to get a quick look with the binoculars but the camera refused to focus in time to get a photo if a pair of Amur Paradise-Flycatcher rufous morph. Both males by the long tails. While trying to get another look at them I spotted another pair of Crested Myna. I did manage one usable confirmation photo of them that I ran past the ID forum for a second opinion. I figure a good chance that in both cases there was a good chance that either someone released their collection or that they were escapees. The Asian Paradise-Flycatchers are possible natives though.

Hoopoe have definitively returned as I spotted four individuals. And a pair of Eurasian Kestrel were hunting over some open fields.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Mar 25, 2017 1:00 PM - 3:45 PM
6.0 kilometer(s)
6 species

Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 4
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 2
Amur Paradise-Flycatcher (Terpsiphone incei) 2 Probable released cage birds. Pair seen together. Observed very long tails, with blocky looking heads and seemingly awkward, head up tail lower flight. Rufous morph. Observed very near a pair of Crested Myna that were also likely released caged birds.
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 4
Crested Myna (Acridotheres cristatellus) 2 Probable released cage birds. Seen in close proximity to pair of Amur Paradise-Flycatcher.
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 30

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35434030

Attachments

• NT4A0054.jpg
    NT4A0054.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Hey Dev,

We were discussing some of the details yesterday. One of the bigger issues is my age, but the local government says that since they want me they can get permission.

One thing they mentioned yesterday was wanting my advice on attracting foreign tourists and in particular those interested in birding. I was thinking this morning about coming up with package deals where lodging and meals and transportation of a quality level acceptable to Westerners along with one admission fee that would cover any of the 'environmental tourism' or 'conservation' areas within Panjin's governmental area that would be lower cost than each separately.

I especially would like to have any comments, ideas, suggestions or questions from the BirdForum community. What would make it more attractive to you? What could be done better than what you have experienced elsewhere in China? What have you seen done especially well elsewhere?

A trip to Huludao has been suggested to see what they are doing there, so if anyone has birded there it would help to get your impressions and suggestions on what to do better.

Hi Owen,

Apologies for the late reply. Haven't been to the section lately. Your idea of one whole package is certainly a very good one but first of all you may want to put Panjin in the birding circuit.
For a halfpat like me, i mostly stick to my local patch due to a desk job. Even, if its further afield i won't go further than 400km for a weekend birding.
For visiting birders n tour groups, they mainly stick to the well-known circuit. If it's not for Tom Beeke, Dalian was never in my radar.

A bird race or bird festival would certainly put Panjin under spotlight. A Bird race would certainly reveal more avifauna in the area.

HiDev,

Most of us have real jobs to attend command our time. I have been really enjoying retirement and choosing what to spend my time on rather than it dictated to me by my job. At least you have a really nice web page. Something that I suppose I will need to be doing soon. Not something I look forward to as I have managed to avoid social media except for BirdForum. I understand sticking to your own patch as I rarely make it more than 20 km from home. The family here considers the 50 km to Yingkou to be a really long trip.

Very good comments. Getting a spotlight on Panjin on the birding circuit is exactly the kind of thing that the government wonks are expressing interest in accomplishing here. I've never even been a member of a birding club being inclined to prefer being on my own, so I am currently not even sure what that involves. I have contacted Cornell University to let them know about the local interest in environmental protection and birding in particular. No reply back yet, but at least a starting place. I think a bird race and/or bird festival is the kind of thing that the government would willingly get behind.

I've never even taken part in either, so any suggestions from anybody on what would be good are always welcome. My role here is going to be as a brand representative and consultant on this end and facilitator for those interested in environment and/or birding here. They have spoken of expanding efforts out past just Panjin into Liaoning in the future.

All that, of course, dependent upon the whole thing actually happening. Things in China tend to progress at a glacial pace then suddenly an immense rush to do it now. The vice-mayors office still says they are working on the official paperwork. The way things work here I'll probably get a phone call out of the blue saying the driver will be there to pick me up in 20 minutes then a day of chaotic activity getting started.

March 28, 2017

Another trip out to Gedalou Reservoir for a pleasant day birding. My wife went along for the exercise and we covered about 6 km on foot before our pre-arraigned ride picked us up. March is the month where the reservoir goes from totally ice covered to the present ice free and as a result there is a constantly changing parade of bird life arriving.

First of all some of the incidental things during the walk. About two hours in, having walked on ahead while I was trying to get a better picture of some gulls, my wife started yelling for me, panicked enough to forget any English. Literal translation: “Come, come, come quickly! Person die! I’m afraid!” For a moment she had me going too. Somebody had lost a rubber glove in the lake. Took quite a while to convince her. Also, this doesn’t look like a job I would care to have. And I used to complain about having to feed and water the hogs when doing farm work.

Back to the birding. The lack was very productive and I managed to pick-up three new tics on my list. The Garganey made for a really nice pic. The Tufted Duck was a bit of a puzzle at first as there was no tuft evident. Shortly I caught one with the tuft showing. Gadwall were the third new tic having been sighted before but only at a distance and not well enough to be certain.

Great Crested Grebe were questioned by eBird as being too early and too high a number, but pairs were distributed regularly in territories around the shoreline & small groups further out. If anything I probably had an under-count as they were so common that one started to only notice them in passing. I had to work a little to find a good photo for them as they were common enough that I didn't put any effort into obtaining one. The Gray Heron impressed me more as being early for here.

Given the disagreements in classification, i.e. Brazil’s Field Guide says, Mongolian Gull - Larus mongolicus but MacKinnon & Phillipps has Yellow-legged Gull - Larus cachinnans mongolicus. The Helm Identification Guide Gulls has it as a subspecies under Caspian Gull - Larus cachinnans mongolicus, I took the opportunity to question how they actually want the Mongolian Gull counted and the reply is "In the eBird taxonomy, that gull is Herring Gull (Mongolian), or Larus argentatus mongolicus."

I was reluctantly forced to leave when our ride showed up just as 150 or so Mallard came back in from the north in V after V to roost for the evening.

Mar 28, 2017 11:45 AM - 3:00 PM
6.0 kilometer(s)
17 species

Taiga Bean-Goose (Anser fabalis) 23
Gadwall (Anas strepera) 12
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 150
Eastern Spot-billed Duck (Anas zonorhyncha) 5
Garganey (Anas querquedula) 2
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina) 8
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) 6
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 33 Pair distributed regularly in territories around the shoreline & small groups further out. Commonly see pairs along the shore through the breeding season at this location.
Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) 8
Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea) 8
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 59
Common Redshank (Tringa totanus) 30
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 150
Herring Gull (Mongolian) (Larus argentatus mongolicus) 68
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 14
Daurian Redstart (Phoenicurus auroreus) 4
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) 8

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35509221

Attachments

• NT4A0634.jpg
    NT4A0634.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 72
  • NT4A0576.jpg
    NT4A0576.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Garganey.jpg
    Garganey.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Tufted Duck.jpg
    Tufted Duck.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Gadwall (1).jpg
    Gadwall (1).jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 77
More pics from 3/28

Some more pics from 3/28

Attachments

• Grey Heron w- Dawa.jpg
    Grey Heron w- Dawa.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Mallard.jpg
    Mallard.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Mongolian Gull.jpg
    Mongolian Gull.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 75
  • White Wagtail.jpg
    White Wagtail.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 67
Great to see spring hotting up, up there !

We get get Yellow-legged/Mongolian/Caspian Gull here in Hong Kong, too. The constant name changes are a challenge.

You should probably contact Terry T in Beijing - he's plugged in to the Chinese scene and you will need that within-country, national support over and above anything Cornell can or would do - they cause enough angst outside "murka" as it is and are only really interested in US and S Am birds in my opinion...

HiDev,

Most of us have real jobs to attend command our time. I have been really enjoying retirement and choosing what to spend my time on rather than it dictated to me by my job. At least you have a really nice web page. Something that I suppose I will need to be doing soon. Not something I look forward to as I have managed to avoid social media except for BirdForum. I understand sticking to your own patch as I rarely make it more than 20 km from home. The family here considers the 50 km to Yingkou to be a really long trip.

Very good comments. Getting a spotlight on Panjin on the birding circuit is exactly the kind of thing that the government wonks are expressing interest in accomplishing here. I've never even been a member of a birding club being inclined to prefer being on my own, so I am currently not even sure what that involves. I have contacted Cornell University to let them know about the local interest in environmental protection and birding in particular. No reply back yet, but at least a starting place. I think a bird race and/or bird festival is the kind of thing that the government would willingly get behind.

I've never even taken part in either, so any suggestions from anybody on what would be good are always welcome. My role here is going to be as a brand representative and consultant on this end and facilitator for those interested in environment and/or birding here. They have spoken of expanding efforts out past just Panjin into Liaoning in the future.

All that, of course, dependent upon the whole thing actually happening. Things in China tend to progress at a glacial pace then suddenly an immense rush to do it now. The vice-mayors office still says they are working on the official paperwork. The way things work here I'll probably get a phone call out of the blue saying the driver will be there to pick me up in 20 minutes then a day of chaotic activity getting started.

You should probably contact Terry T in Beijing - he's plugged in to the Chinese scene and you will need that within-country, national support over and above anything Cornell can or would do - they cause enough angst outside "murka" as it is and are only really interested in US and S Am birds in my opinion...

My exact thoughts. Can't vouch for Cornell but for Terry. Terry has hands on experience working with NGO's, govt organisations and has also recently participated in the Bird Race in Israel.
You should also get in touch with Tom on his thoughts as he has also participated in a Bird festival somewhere up north.
I guess, there is a bird race/festival coming up this October in Laotieshan.

True enough that in the past eBird (Cornell) has only really been for the Americas, but they are wanting to expand their database more worldwide. They have started with Taiwan but I have had contact with them in the past where they expressed real interest in expanding to the Mainland but they are still working on establishing the contacts and cooperation they need. They do have traditional character language available now. http://ebird.org/content/ebird/?lang=zh-hant
http://help.ebird.org/customer/zh_tw/portal/articles?t=

I intend to get in touch with Terry directly soon. I have been waiting a little bit until the paperwork filters through the government but may go ahead and directly contact him today or tomorrow. Tried Tom recently with no reply, but I have had some problems with internet and emails recently, so maybe should try again.

Last edited:
April 1, 2017

Staying close to home yesterday but in a more rural area yielded a nice selection. The Red-Flanked Bluetail were absent last year, but have returned this spring and are exceptionally brightly colored. Elegant Bunting were busy scolding me as well. A flock of Naumann's Thrush led me down a side canal embankment where I have had several especially good sightings before and sure enough, there I found three Dusky Thrush that, unlike the Naumenn's, were completely unconcerned with my presence. A few other regulars rounded out the day.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Apr 1, 2017 11:15 AM - 1:15 PM
5.0 kilometer(s)
11 species (+1 other taxa)

Eurasian Hoopoe (Eurasian) (Upupa epops [epops Group]) 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 2
Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 1
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 7
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 5
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 12
Dusky Thrush (Turdus eunomus) 3
Dusky/Naumann's Thrush (Turdus eunomus/ naumanni) 13
Olive-backed Pipit (Anthus hodgsoni) 6
Little Bunting (Emberiza pusilla) 2
Yellow-throated Bunting (Emberiza elegans) 28
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) 4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35625382

Attachments

• Red-Flanked Bluetail.jpg
    Red-Flanked Bluetail.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Elegant Bunting.jpg
    Elegant Bunting.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Elegant Bunting (1).jpg
    Elegant Bunting (1).jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Dusky Thrush.jpg
    Dusky Thrush.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Dusky Thrush (3).jpg
    Dusky Thrush (3).jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 83
Hi Owen

I would suggest joining a bird race yourself - perhaps the one in Laotieshan? - to get a sense of what's its like.

Fine shot of the Garganey over the water!

Cheers
Mike

April 12, 2017

A rather active day birding starting before sunrise and finishing up with another trip to Gedalou Reservoir.

The Little Owl continues to patrol our neighborhood and can be heard calling most every night. I woke up at about 4:30 AM and step out on the patio and was able to get a quick glance in the first light of the day as it soared over the rooftops maybe 100 meters away.

The pair of White Wagtail that have nested in our community in the past have returned and can often be seen perched on the peak of the building just behind us. The sighting of a single Grey Heron while walking the dog in the morning led to the decision to make another trip to the reservoir.

Things are slowing down there but still some interesting sightings. The earliest sighting for me here of a single Barn Swallow skimming a drink off the reservoir. I didn't manage any good ID photos but got a good visual. Which reminds me that a couple of days before I briefly saw a Bat also skimming a drink from a small fish pond and then heading into the small adjacent village which has several abandoned buildings. I did manage to get a good enough photo to verify that it was indeed a bat. Seems especially early for them as it is still commonly getting down to about freezing at night.

eBird still keeps flagging my Great Crested Grebe at Gedalou as being too early in the season and too high of a count. Not a doubt though. They tend to have defended territories all the way around the lake with others lacking territories seen further out towards the middle. My 35 was an actual count and along less than half the lake.

No other real notables except for the large numbers of Black-headed Gull mostly resting well out from shore.

Apr 12, 2017 11:45 AM - 2:00 PM
5.0 kilometer(s)
9 species

Common Pochard (Aythya ferina) 16
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 10
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 35
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 7
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 370
Herring Gull (Mongolian) (Larus argentatus mongolicus) 16
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 3
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 1 Single individual observed closely while skimming drinks from reservoir presented as juv. Wings did not have the sickle shape of swift and no white or red rump patch
Pallas's Leaf Warbler (Phylloscopus proregulus) 8

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35914513

Attachments

• Great Crested Grebe.jpg
    Great Crested Grebe.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Great Crested Grebe (1).jpg
    Great Crested Grebe (1).jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Great Crested Grebe (2).jpg
    Great Crested Grebe (2).jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Great Crested Grebe (3).jpg
    Great Crested Grebe (3).jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Common Coot.jpg
    Common Coot.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 82
Another nice day for an outing yesterday led to about a 5km hike. Nothing unusual, but (6) Barn Swallow proved they have definitely returned. I did hear a Ring-necked Pheasant calling out of a strip of grass between plowed areas. I've been concerned about that as they lost a lot of habitat in the last two years in the immediate area. Another positive note in that (6) Little Grebe were beginning to congregate. Their numbers were very low last year and they were almost entirely absent from this immediate area. Rounded off with a pair of Red-flanked Bluetail, (2) Grey-headed Woodpecker behaving in a very territorial manner, the usual (20) or so Tree Sparrow and (4) Eurasian Magpie.

Unfortunately, had to end the outing because our little Russian Toy Terrier unexpectedly tried to leap out of my wife's hands and ended up doing a face plant into the pavement. Besides being pretty bruised up and sore, I am pretty sure she sustained a concussion as well. Quite worried until this afternoon as she was not able to walk straight and kept falling down. Managed to keep her in a darkened area and quiet today and she is at least walking much better now.

I have been lax about posting lately, mostly due to nothing special to report. The only new tic was a single Ashy Minivet perched at the top of a Willow tree and me without my camera. I took the tick as I did get a really good look with the bins, but it doesn't count fully to me until I get a good ID photo. Also we are over-run right now with Two-barred Greenish Warbler. Very difficult to ID as they are the definition of what the field guides like to call 'skulking'.

I had expected to have my 'brand representative' position established by now and was expecting my first foreign birder within the month. As it turned out both failed to materialize.

I had expected to be official by now, but we were told this morning that the current delay is because the Vice-Mayor who was sponsoring the idea was just promoted by the Party out of Dawa and the new VM wants to pursue the idea but being new hasn’t had the time to redo the paperwork. Typical China.

My foreign visitor decided that with the NK tensions he wasn't comfortable with visiting Dongbei right now and didn't want to cause me any problems. It wouldn’t cause me any problems that would concern me, but I discussed it with my Chinese wife this morning and she said he was making a smart decision. I noticed this afternoon in Panshan that she was back to telling people who inquired that I am Canadian. Being anywhere near the NK border might be a touchy issue, but personally, I don’t worry about it here locally. That being said, in the past I have had people assume I must be Buddhist due to my tendency to take life as it comes and not worry about things. I even stayed in China during the SARS scare despite the government offering free airfare back home and no early contract termination penalty. All the other foreign teachers took the offer and left. I rode out a few anti-American/Japanese spells in Shenyang by magically becoming Canadian and continuing about my normal routine. Even those who had known for years I was American happily played along with my sudden shift.

This has spurred some thinking about the matter and made me think of proposing to the government that they issue a pass/permit for foreign tourists to be worn like a convention ID card saying the person was an honored foreign guest tourist properly registered with the police and asking anyone to cooperate and help them. The very people who are the “What are you doing here?” type are the same ones who are most impressed with a document with a red seal affixed. Actually despite what one might expect there seems to be less of a problem in Dawa. We lived there on weekends and breaks while I was teaching in Shenyang and I would often hear what literally translates as, “The old fat American has come home!” More smiles and positive attention than I got when I went back to the US!

All that being said it is still hard to say at this point what things will be like in another month. Often in China that is long enough for it to be like nothing every happened, but if “The Little Boy” as locals here contemptuously refer to NK’s leader, could stir up worse trouble also.

No sooner had I digested all of that than one of the leaders from the wife's 'dancing aunties' group called this afternoon to announce that they hadn't known about the Heronry and after seeing some pictures on the wife's iPad, they want to go there with us for a day. So instead of one Brit, I guess I get 25-30 'dancing aunties'.

Looking forward to the pics of that outing!

Cheers
Mike

Outing is coming up, but here is a pic of the group. They are the registered and dues paying participants of my wife's main group. Another 25-50 people show up unofficially according to the weather. My wife actually has two dancing aunties groups and a singing group, with crossover between the groups. In addition she has a select group drawn from those that make up a variety show group that do special shows for businesses, shopping centers, etc. She had a TV variety show back before she retired from teaching at the Chaoyang Cultural Institute. She used to specialize in recruiting and training the people needed for the massive government sponsored extravaganzas with masses of people doing coordinated dance and marching for May Day, National Day celebrations. This is the main reason we are in China. She missed the activity (and being the center of attention ;) )

Attachments

• Dancing Aunties.jpg
    Dancing Aunties.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back