• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Partridge from Portugal (Museum specimen) (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hi all,

While studying birds of Portugal at the Natural History Museum of the University of Coimbra, I found this very strange partridge (pic below).

According to the label, the bird was collected in the Coimbra area on Dec 23rd, 1946.

Please note that another odd individual is visible in the background.

Could these birds be hybrids? Some sort of mutation? Any thoughts shall be welcome.

Thanks,
Gonçalo

Attachments

• 2218a-10.jpg
    2218a-10.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 267
http://boc-online.org/bulletins/downloads/boc1371-vanGrouw.pdf

In that Article by Hein van Grouw dealing with melanism and relatedt mutations there is a similar aberrant redlegged partridge ,
which he describes as a form of melanism:

Page 31, "Figure 16. Specimen of Red-legged Partridge Alectoris rufa with a form of melanism that has changed the usual pattern and markings (left, NHMUK 1923.1.29.1) and a normal-coloured individual (right, NHMUK 1907.12.20.7); due to a mutation, the black head and throat markings are altered and the solid-coloured back, shoulders and wing feathers (based mainly on eumelanin) now exhibit distinctive patterns based on both
melanin types, and some parts resemble the flanks plumage (Harry Taylor, © Natural History Museum,
London) "

So I think you have a very aberrant redlegged partridge

It looks like parts of two different skins stuck together.

I seem to recall some kinds of fraud in the past (probaby earlier than 1946 though) of taxidermists sticking bits of various animals together to make a seemingly rare and unique creature to sell for greater profit?

Now looked at that PDF and agreed that it looks like the same colour mutation. Very interesting - I had no idea that a mutation could change "plain" into "patterned" feathers like that!

Some kind of hidden gene being expressed (eg present in the whole family from an earlier patterned ancestor species)??

Or something like that perhaps ...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back