• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opus Editing - A Guide. (1 Viewer)

I know that when writing a scientific name with both genus and species names, it should be in italics. Should italics also be used when referring to the genus only?

As in: "Most of the Sunbirds (including this one) of the genus Nectarinia have recently been moved into the genus Cinnyris."

That is what I have been doing, and to the best of my knowledge that is in agreement with for example how things are done in the printed Clements (I am at work at the moment and my printed version is at home ...)

Niels

Yes, genus and specific name should always be written italics, e.g. the scientific name of the Painted Parakeet is Pyrrhura picta, meaning that it is a member of the genus Pyrrhura with the specific name picta. At higher levels (e.g. family), however, there are some variations in how people prefer it written, though I certainly prefer italics in those cases, too.

Gah. I uploaded a photo of a Noisy Miner in an interesting pose, but got a bit confused with the file name for inserting it into a page. The actual names had underscores, but the name on the top of the file page hasn't. Not wishing to gimp a page up, I thought I'd ask for help here...
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Image:Noisy_miner_dust_bath.jpg
Cheers,

Tony

Hi Toni,

The Opus does this sometimes. Just copy the file name from the Image page (without underlines) and it should work fine (it actually does, I tried...)

Greetings from good old Switzerland to Down under
André

Hi Toni,

The Opus does this sometimes. Just copy the file name from the Image page (without underlines) and it should work fine (it actually does, I tried...)

Greetings from good old Switzerland to Down under
André

Thanks, André! I'll give it a try. Might be worth looking in in a bit to see how bad the damage is...
There's some lovely tame birds here.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back