• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatchers - Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
Early April this year, on the western edge of Corcovado National Park.

I think the first one is Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, but the second one has no wing bars and a different shaped bill. The photos were taken within a few seconds of each other, but they are obviously not the same species.

TIA

HelenB

Attachments

• YBFL-2221.JPG
    YBFL-2221.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 43
  • flycatcher-2223.JPG
    flycatcher-2223.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 39
Thanks, Andy. I had not thought of Yellowish, but now I’ve checked the field guide, that is definitely a possibility!

Yellowish is a highland species and does not occur in the Osa Peninsula. The bill looks like a Tolmomyias to me.

I've seen Yellow-bellieds in Costa Rica in many lowland areas such as Carara, La Selva, Osa, Cahuita...
Looks a good candidate to my eyes

Bill shape/colour looks fine too

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-19 Kaufman Field Guide to Advanced Birding.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-09-19 Kaufman Field Guide to Advanced Birding.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 10
I've just realised that my last post might be taken the wrong way! I meant that I still think that Yellow-bellied is the likely option, therefore I'd need an explanation as to why it isn't one, before looking elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back