• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Green ghost ( Zeiss SF 8X42 ) (1 Viewer)

Again: the color of the coating has nothing to do with the color looking through the bino.

And again: no greenish tint at any of the binos, I use(d), including Zeiss: SF 8x42, FL 8x32, 20x60S. Including scopes: Kowa 883, Zeiss Harpia 95 DiaScope85 FL, Swarovski 95 ATX,

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 51
I scored 0.
I have a black SF 8x42 with the reddish lens coating. When I first got them I definitely noticed a very slight green/yellow tinge in direct comparison to the HT's. I also noticed this when on an earlier occasion before I'd bought mine I compared another black SF to a noctivid and an EL SV in a shop test.
Despite, or perhaps because of this I love the view through the SF's above anything else I've used. Not sure quite where this leaves me on the spectrum of SF opinions!

I got a zero with my 65 year old eyes on an iPhone. I’ve got a black 8x42 Sf, and have not noticed a green tint.

-Bill

Recently I had the chance to compare a black SF 10x42 with a Leica Noctivid 10x42 and Swarovski EL 10x42 SV. The green tint of the SF struck me immediately and bothered me enough to scratch it from my list. See also https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=386879

I’m looking forward to check the new SF 10x32, but if it shows the same tint my choice will be the Swarovski EL 10x32 SV.

(score 0, 38 years)

It's only in direct AB comparisons that I can sometimes see a green tint, in normal use they look completely neutral when comparing to the naked eye. To be honest I don't trust what my eye/ brain sometimes does when quickly switching view between bins, I've had them play all sorts of tricks on me with brightness, resolution and colour that make no sense later on.

Human eyes can be affected with regard to color vision. I have educated quite a lot of students in the use of microscopy and how to interpret the observed images. Since we had originally only monocular microscopes one eye was exposed for longer periods of time to higher light intensities as the other one. As a result of it in my case one eye got another color repsonse curve as the other one. When using both eyes you do not notice it since our "brain computer" makes both signals into one, but if you try to judge color representation of binoculars by using one eye to look at a white surface and the other one looking at the same surface through the binocular you may make mistakes.
I never saw any green tint in the Zeiss binoculars mentioned whatever eye I used.
Gijs van Ginkel

Many people talk about "absolute color neutrality" something, never existed and cannot exist, because color depends of:

the left and the right eye of the viewer
the lighting (color, spectrum, CRI, brightness, flicker, ... to mention just a few parameters)
is the viewer tired, sober, ...
does he wear glasses? Are these glasses neutral?
what are the features of the object, you look at?

Compared to these, it is pointless to discuss the smallest deviations through good binoculars.

Human eyes can be affected with regard to color vision. I have educated quite a lot of students in the use of microscopy and how to interpret the observed images. Since we had originally only monocular microscopes one eye was exposed for longer periods of time to higher light intensities as the other one. As a result of it in my case one eye got another color repsonse curve as the other one. When using both eyes you do not notice it since our "brain computer" makes both signals into one, but if you try to judge color representation of binoculars by using one eye to look at a white surface and the other one looking at the same surface through the binocular you may make mistakes.
I never saw any green tint in the Zeiss binoculars mentioned whatever eye I used.
Gijs van Ginkel

It is easy to verify oneself that each eye presents color a little differently.
Simply look at a scene with one eye, then with the other. The color difference perceived is quite startling.
I've no idea how the brain reconciles the differences, as it must when photographers do color matching.

Recently I had the chance to compare a black SF 10x42 with a Leica Noctivid 10x42 and Swarovski EL 10x42 SV. The green tint of the SF struck me immediately and bothered me enough to scratch it from my list. See also https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=386879

I’m looking forward to check the new SF 10x32, but if it shows the same tint my choice will be the Swarovski EL 10x32 SV.

(score 0, 38 years)
"My choice will be the Swarovski EL 10x32 SV." I hope you like glare. The 10x32 SV is the worst binocular I have ever used for glare. I would take a little green ham tint any day.;)

"My choice will be the Swarovski EL 10x32 SV." I hope you like glare. The 10x32 SV is the worst binocular I have ever used for glare. I would take a little green ham tint any day.;)

I agree. I bought the 10x32 Swarovision last year and used it two days and returned it. It was the worse glare I have experienced in an alpha Bino. If it wasn’t for the glare I would have loved it.

I had that binocular for almost two years...only a couple of times did I experience glare issues. The VAST majority of times the view was simply excellent.

So anyone willing to create a “glare ghost” topic in the Swarovski section of this forum and discuss it ad nauseam?

So anyone willing to create a “glare ghost” topic in the Swarovski section of this forum and discuss it ad nauseam?

That's already happened in some form or another.

Funny how the 'green' topic keeps coming back. Reminds me of the 'era' of the 'dark' EDG that Tobias Mennie unwittingly kicked off a few years back, which was then mentioned repeatedly by certain individuals. Recently Tobias re-canted his prior observations (or Nikon updated their coatings) or sample variation reared its head, and now the EDG is held in high esteem. (some were fine with it all along).
Tobias also seems to think the SF 'lost' its green cast at some point in production. But apparently others still see it.

I'm glad I don't!

-Bill

Last edited:
I had that binocular for almost two years...only a couple of times did I experience glare issues. The VAST majority of times the view was simply excellent.
Chuck. In Alabama you don't have the sun and glare like we do in Colorado and especially in the Rocky Mountains at over 10,000 feet. It makes a big difference when you are trying to look down in a deep mountain valley or up at rocky cliffs high above you or over a highly reflective lake in a mountain valley. I sold my Swarovski SV 10x32 after the first month and then the guy that bought it almost returned it to me for glare.;)

Last edited:
Chuck. In Alabama you don't have the sun and glare like we do in Colorado and especially in the Rocky Mountains at over 10,000 feet. It makes a big difference.
Is glare only evident in strong sunshine? What about snow, lakes, seascapes and skylines? I've experienced this in many parts of the UK, which has less sun and altitude than the Rockies.
Perhaps altitude sickness resulting in mass hallucinations, who knows.

Last edited:
Is glare only evident in strong sunshine? What about snow, lakes, seascapes and skylines? I've experienced this in many parts of the UK, which has less sun and altitude than the Rockies.
Perhaps altitude sickness resulting in mass hallucinations, who knows.

Pat

Coming as you do from the flatness of Norfolk it probably is due to altitude sickness.;)

Lee
just joking of course.......

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back