• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (3 Viewers)

I know! Most unusual! I've had Swallow a couple of times just up the river over the past few days, but none yet from home. Won't be long I'm sure. Sand Martin is the scarce one, but should fall at some point.

In 30 years of record keeping I've never had HM before Swallow. 4 years, inc this year, on the same day.

In 30 years of record keeping I've never had HM before Swallow. 4 years, inc this year, on the same day.

Down in Cornwall and had my first garden Swallow yesterday.

Back when I lived in Somerset as a teenager (all those years ago ... ) I recorded Swallow flying north over our house on 1st April 3 years in a row!

I've found Sand Martin an incredibly hard one to add to random house lists (only achieved it in France).

It’s been a very strange year for me so far H!...with regulars AWOL and newbies very much to the fore.
Last year I was at 61 on April 19th, am currently on 67 on the 7th!...very unusual indeed, don’t know if you, or anyone else is ahead of their stats this year compared to previous?

Cheers :t:

58) Swallow, one just over.

I've managed Sand Martin most years here, and certainly every year that I've put effort into a garden yearlist.

It’s been a very strange year for me so far H!...with regulars AWOL and newbies very much to the fore.
Last year I was at 61 on April 19th, am currently on 67 on the 7th!...very unusual indeed, don’t know if you, or anyone else is ahead of their stats this year compared to previous?

I’m four up on the same date last year Ken, despite not seeing any of all these migrating Ospreys, Lesser Spotted Eagles and Marsh Harriers that certain are seeing ( I’m really happy for you all :C).

I’m four up on the same date last year Ken, despite not seeing any of all these migrating Ospreys, Lesser Spotted Eagles and Marsh Harriers that certain are seeing ( I’m really happy for you all :C).

Swings and roundabouts Richard....envy your Serin, Pine Bunting, Rock Bunting, Siskin, Brambling and Hawfinch at the feeders and that’s with your head in the clouds. ;) :t:

April 7th.

At last - a nocturnal migration tick, but not the hoped-for Common Scoter

61. Moorhen - one heard overhead at 22.05 whilst checking the moth trap

#95 for my all-time garden life-list and #50 for lockdown, followed by #51 Mistle Thrush and #52 Greylag Goose this morning.

Steve

The fine spring weather has seen the arrival of many common migrants over the past few days, a very pleasant time to be out. Unfortunately the nearby Redstart and Ring Ouzels don't want to come within view of the house yet...

112 Western Yellow Wagtail
113 Sand Martin
114 Whimbrel
115 Sandwich Tern
116 House Martin
117 Little Ringed Plover

Last year on April 8th I was at 32, so now I'm 17 ahead! :eek!: Very strange year for sure...

#48. Kestrel - I don't even remember which year I saw this last time.
#49. Barnacle Goose - 33 flyover

I'm up 4 or 5 on last year so far.
But I can't see myself beating last year when I think of possibles remaining

If I can emulate last years Aug/Sep/Oct haul (somehow can’t see it) I’d probably be on a record year.
That said...no two years are the same so no bets from me, however enforced quarantine could produce some interesting birds for all participants.

We can dream of out of area migrants, of which there are a whole range of species and with sky watching becoming an important “stage” at this period, I’ve begun to look at overshooting occurrences over the last few years into the Low Countries...with some sobering possibilities not too far away, fingers x’d for all yard/garden listers. :t:

The fine spring weather has seen the arrival of many common migrants over the past few days, a very pleasant time to be out. Unfortunately the nearby Redstart and Ring Ouzels don't want to come within view of the house yet...

112 Western Yellow Wagtail
113 Sand Martin
114 Whimbrel
115 Sandwich Tern
116 House Martin
117 Little Ringed Plover

117 is amazing Ryan - envious as always.

Everyone on here seems to understand what garden listing is about - pity the same can't be said for the eBird garden listers as six of the current 'leaders' are clearly including walks. I put one person right and he has moved to the Patch lists but can't contact any of the others.

Congratulations on your 95th Steve, here I’m down to my last Brambling today, always moving to think of the journey they’re doing.

Thanks Richard - I have renewed hopes of getting to 100 with now doing so much garden birding- 38 hours so far this month.

Interesting that your Bramblings are leaving. I have not had a garden one this year but Chaffinches have been dwindling and today was the first time I have not seen one at all.

Steve

Monday 6th

A frenetic and fruitful 52 minute garden / skywatch produced Sparrows and Starlings gathering nesting material; a pair of Greenfinches with the male in display flight; displaying Starlings; mating Woodpigeons; a female Sparrowhawk :

28) Female Peregrine
29) Grey Heron heard
30) Willow Warbler in the garden
31) Chiffchaff in the garden

So I need to revise my target again -and will try up to 35

2 more additions, today :
32) Drake Mallard flew over the garden
33) Linnet in flight

A long thirteen hour day at work today in front of the computer but as that computer was in the garden:-

53 Mute Swan - two heading low over the garden around noon thankfully were low enough & noisy enough to get me to look up but over the roof & out of sight before the camera was deployed - 08 Apr 2020
54 House Martin - three heading north were the first of the year - 08 Apr 2020

Lockdown garden list 51 with 33 photographed & two heard only. A few of today's pics.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Peregrine 006 - Copy.JPG
    Peregrine 006 - Copy.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Sparrowhawk 001 - Copy.JPG
    Sparrowhawk 001 - Copy.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Blackbird 001 - Copy.JPG
    Blackbird 001 - Copy.JPG
    598.7 KB · Views: 33
  • House Sparrow 001 - Copy.JPG
    House Sparrow 001 - Copy.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 31
  • Carrion Crow 003 - Copy.JPG
    Carrion Crow 003 - Copy.JPG
    608.1 KB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back