• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm x100s (1 Viewer)

Graham Osborne

Perhaps not surprisingly, nobody seems to have yet posted about this brilliant little camera. Highly regarded though it is for street photography in particular, its 23mm fixed lens (35mm full frame equivalent) is clearly not perfectly suited to bird photography. Nevertheless, if the birds get close enough.........

117d.jpg

Great for environmental and habitat shots though. Been running an X100 from when they first became available. Silent mode means just that.

The threaded release should take a 20 foot pneumatic release too, just not got round to it, though I have got a Manfrotto Super clamp left over from an earlier project for when I do.

Great for environmental and habitat shots though. Been running an X100 from when they first became available. Silent mode means just that.

The threaded release should take a 20 foot pneumatic release too, just not got round to it, though I have got a Manfrotto Super clamp left over from an earlier project for when I do.

Very true, and the remote release sounds a great idea.

I am looking forward to using mine for landscape shots but I have a mobility problem at present. I am awaiting an MRI scan on my foot and possible corrective surgery, but I am confined largely to my garden for the time being, doing mostly macro and views, although I did get this shot yesterday.....

003a.jpg

Sorry to hear about your foot, hopefully it will be sorted soon, I had a few months out with a damaged ankle and I know the frustration.

I walked my X100 round Slimbridge yesterday, great practice, at least 75% of photos had a bird visible, the rest were of some of the great landscaping (deliberately).

I was amazed at the number of young families there in the afternoon, not serious birding families but just enjoying being with 'wild' birds. The changes they have done may not please everyone but if it is getting the general public interested and involved it can only be good for the future.

By the way, great picture, I regularly see far worse taken by people with slrs, usually me!

Graham,
I have the X100 and was impressed with it and even used it for digiscoping. I'm sure the improvements in the X100s have made it even better.
Sorry your having foot trouble. I had some about two years ago and all the limping around caused some miniscus trouble in my knee. Went on crutches for a month ( my foot didn't touch the ground) and everything fixed itself. The body is great at healing if given a chance.
Good luck with your problem.
Neil.

Iveljay & Neil

Thanks to you both for you comments & kind thoughts.

Iveljay: Yes, loads of things for young families at Slimbridge. I dropped in there a couple of years ago when I was doing a cycle tour. It was early May and it rained every day except one! I was aiming to do a fair bit of birding but most days were a washout (though I did manage Goshawk at New Fancy Viewpoint whilst I was staying with my brother near Ross-on-Wye). After a hailstorm in the Cotswolds on the way back I gave up on camping. It was too cold!

Neil: I think Fuji listened to all the feedback that they got from x100 owners when they designed the x100s. They are both brilliant cameras. I had a quick look at your gallery. Some great shots there. Are there any you can point me to that you took using your x100?

Neil

Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed all of your photos & videos. I will certainly try the x100s for digiscoping and, after seeing your brilliant panoramas, I am really looking forward to using that function also.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back