• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D7200 vs D500 (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
I have the D7200 and am very pleased. Would there be any benefit to changing out for D500? One thing that might make me pass on the D500 is the SD / XQD card mix. There are some deals on the D500 body now which is why I ask.

I've got the D7200 and am very pleased with it too...so I can't answer your question... However, I bought the D7200 this summer just after the D500 had been released, and did read a lot of reviews and think carefully about whether it was worth the extra cash. The consensus seems to be it is better for BIF shots, so if this is important to you it may be worth the extra investment, although I've had some great BIF results with the D7200.
I'm totally with you on the card issue though...I didn't realise how useful two SD cards were before my D7200, and I'd be reluctant to give that up.
It will be interesting to hear from others who have taken the upgrade path and now have a few months of field use to look back on

having had both I preferred the d7200 picture quality. Yes the d500 was faster etc but not enough other better feature for me .

Thanks Les. Got the impression I'd just be changing for the sake of changing. And I'm still learning what can be done with the d7200.

I have a D7100, not D7200.... and acquired the D500 this spring... coupled with the new 300mmPF... it is a stunning performer .... the AF is blazingly fast and accurate...coupled with very rapid frame rate and excellent buffer...it is superb for BIF etc. I also much more prefer the size and feel of the D500.
HTH, YMMV.....;)

I have a D7100, not D7200.... and acquired the D500 this spring... coupled with the new 300mmPF... it is a stunning performer .... the AF is blazingly fast and accurate...coupled with very rapid frame rate and excellent buffer...it is superb for BIF etc. I also much more prefer the size and feel of the D500.
HTH, YMMV.....;)

I did more or less the same, jettisoning my D7100/300mm/TC14EII combo for the D500/300mmPF/TC14EIII, and agree with all your comments. A superb combination, being particularly good with BIFs, as you say.

HTH, YMMV.....;)

Is that a Nikon 300mm prime focus?

Reading this thread with interest - I'm looking for a better bird photography setup than my 4/3 system, without getting too crazy heavy. I usually carry my Camera when walk-around birding, to get shots of opportunity, or to document uncommon birds. Auto-Focus speed and accuracy is the most important aspect for me, as the brief moment I often have for getting a bird shot often results in no pic or an out-of-focus pic with my current gear. Better low-light performance is also a goal.

Since I'm almost always at max zoom (and could use more), the 300 PF f/4 lens coupled with D500 or D7200 are my top contenders at the moment (along with a 1.4x or 1.7x TC when needed). Around 4lbs - twice the weight of my current setup, but still much lighter than the 80-400 or a Canon 7D MII / 100-400 setup.

I wonder how much better the AF is on the D500, specifically for birds, when they're not particularly close?

Reading this thread with interest - I'm looking for a better bird photography setup than my 4/3 system, without getting too crazy heavy. I usually carry my Camera when walk-around birding, to get shots of opportunity, or to document uncommon birds. Auto-Focus speed and accuracy is the most important aspect for me, as the brief moment I often have for getting a bird shot often results in no pic or an out-of-focus pic with my current gear. Better low-light performance is also a goal.

Since I'm almost always at max zoom (and could use more), the 300 PF f/4 lens coupled with D500 or D7200 are my top contenders at the moment (along with a 1.4x or 1.7x TC when needed). Around 4lbs - twice the weight of my current setup, but still much lighter than the 80-400 or a Canon 7D MII / 100-400 setup.

I wonder how much better the AF is on the D500, specifically for birds, when they're not particularly close?

You might want to consider the latest m4/3 offerings as well: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3514921#post3514921

...I wonder how much better the AF is on the D500, specifically for birds, when they're not particularly close?

I can't do a comparison since I've never handled a 4/3 camera, but I can say that the auto-focus is truly excellent on my D500/300mmPF/TC1.4EIII combo. I've been a bird photographer for many years and have never had as high a proportion of keepers as with my new rig. Check my Flickr site for examples, many of which were taken at considerable distances and heavily cropped.

The OMD EM1 Mark II is on my list, but is on backorder everywhere, as is the 300mm f/4 lens. Interestingly, this combo weighs about the same as the D500/300 PF/TC1.4.

FYI: Amazon has 12 of the 300mm f4 available as of this time; I just ordered the OMD EM1.2 Friday from Focus Camera. You can usually find such items in stock somewhere if you search widely. At least that is my experience.

Last edited:
I recently traded in my D5 for the D500 (at B and H) and the RX100M5. I also have the D7200. I never used the D5 at high speed Continuous and it was a bit heavy to carry around the neck all day. The D500 has the same AF system and 9fps is good enough for me.
Over the D7200 -
much better AF system
better low light ( Second Japanese White-eye photo at iso 18,000 - Noiseware)
better balance in the hand with tele lenses
9fps means more " keeper's
4k video means more options e.g. taking stills of video clip.
Here are a few images taken with the 300/4 afs PF lens.
The last photo of the Daurian Redstart is a very tight crop.
Neil
Hongkong,
Feb 2017

Attachments

• purple sandpiper barnegat NJ D500 300PF_DSC0439.jpg
    purple sandpiper barnegat NJ D500 300PF_DSC0439.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 199
  • japanese white-eye pond lamma HK iso 3600 D500 300PF_DSC2541.jpg
    japanese white-eye pond lamma HK iso 3600 D500 300PF_DSC2541.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 241
  • japanese white-eye  pond lamma HK iso 18,000 adj D500_DSC2415.jpg
    japanese white-eye pond lamma HK iso 18,000 adj D500_DSC2415.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 191
  • daurian redstart fem pond lamma HK D500 300PF_DSC3004.jpg
    daurian redstart fem pond lamma HK D500 300PF_DSC3004.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 185
  • daurian redstart fem pond lamma HK crop D500_DSC2492.jpg
    daurian redstart fem pond lamma HK crop D500_DSC2492.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 223
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back