• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Went to Perry Barr a few weeks back and whilst driving back home in my friends car I heard what sounded like a Kingfisher, but I dismissed it.

I went to the park there yesterday late afternoon to record an aesthetic video of a friend and whilst walking towards the rear end of the park, we were walking near a river (don't know what river it is as I've never walked around there before). It had a few bends and was flowing the opposite way to the rear and of the park.

I noticed something blue fly past from the corner of my eye and it perched upon a branch ahead of me and my friend and made a noise but only when it landed. I quickly pulled out my camera and zoomed in on it and to my shock not only was it a Kingfisher (male I think) but it was still sitting there as they don't stay in one place for too long I noticed (in Ackers Park).

Anyway, extremely lucky for me it was facing the other way while I was prepping my camera. I don't think it saw us to be fair and I was very lucky to be able to capture this shot. (see link below) I honestly don't think I can ever get a shot like this again!

Sadly I didn't have time to check out the sites yesterday as I was busy with the video shoot, but I do plan to return in the future and see where it hailed from so I can give a more detailed location of its whereabouts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alimakaveliphotography/18420802958

River Rea Heritage Trail 7:00
Pair of kingfisher going up and down the Rea. As per the Cole last week, I got caught between their calls. Great!!

I think I heard the kingfisher on the Rea flying up the river instead of past me. I then saw one on the Bourn a few times, flying up and down!! I reckon it was a juvenile as it did not call and it would quickly fly off or take cover to hide. Nice to see something different!! Also good to see was a family of LTT feeding.

One or two kingfisher on the Rea. Possibly juveniles as they did not call. Saw one fishing, it first went in with a thump, the next time a splash. Heron and grey wagtail couple present.

House martin's, swallows and a heron on the Rea. I then found a quiet/juvenile? Kingfisher on the Rea in a different spot, fishing over slow, deeper water. I could see the fish. Great! Grey wagtail family on the Bourn Brook.

Kf

Not been down the Rea for a fortnight as I was away last weekend. It seems the kingfishers have moved on, I thought they might have been up the river but just as I was leaving I could see one down the river. It flew to a perch in the river. I note on BTO one was seen on Edgbaston Pool, I shall have to take a look. (I read an article on WMBS there used to be 2 pairs back in the 1930s). Courtesy of BTO there are a few kingfisher in Birmingham now. Great!

Attachments

• Brum KF.png
    Brum KF.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 123
River Rea Kingfishers

I found my female kingfisher again today!! Further up the River Rea.
Yesterday I found what I assume is a juvenile kingfisher at the back of Cannon Hill park.
Then we went out for an evening walk and we stuck our heads over a bridge on the Rea, and what I assume is the male kingfisher took off, giving a loud call.
I returned this morning to have a look. I took a look up and down the River and saw the kingfisher flying up and down. I stopped to have a look next to a tree and was very surprised when I heard very loud kingfisher calling. It stopped in the tree right next to me, metres away. Then there was more calling and two were in the tree next to me. Amazing!! The calls were so loud!! Then one stopped on the bank, I just got a photo through the foliage. My female kingfisher from the Bourn, now probably mum for a second time on the Rea!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/19600238206/in/dateposted-public/
Also a couple grey wagtails and a good size shoal of fish in the Rea, a few inches and more long.

River Rea 7.30 - Male and female kingfisher - though they were both spooked/frightened of the hide I was trying out for the first time. I won't be trying that again. A heron was ok with it though. (On a trip to Oxford this afternoon I was lucky enough to see 2 kingfisher flying along the River Thames, over 10 kite which I expected and then 4 buzzards, I had to pinch myself!)

Kingfisher fledglings

River Rea 7.30
I knew it was about time for the latest kingfisher chicks to fledge as it was approximately 2 months since the last ones fledged. They were waiting by the nest this morning when I arrived. An adult flew in and then took off flying down the river and one fledgling flew after it making a tutting call. Then there was more flying up and down and some chasing. I moved up the river to get a better view of the flying along the river. As I waited what I assume was the adult male kingfisher flew past calling loudly. It veered off from following the course of the river to fly up and over some houses at the back of the river, doing a U turn to fly back up the river. I then assume it stopped and tempted the fledglings with a fish as then I was delighted to see it fly past with the fish and two fledglings giving chase. They were all calling as they went past. Great!!

River Rea 7.30
All quiet by the old kingfisher nest. One kingfisher flew past and further up the river. There was the repeated two tone call from the male and female kingfisher. I took a walk up the river and past where they were calling and could see one kingfisher sat on a stone in the river waiting. I got a photo. The waiting kingfisher was joined by another kingfisher which disappeared into the bank. Maybe the new nest hole? Maybe it was the female laying eggs? There was also a grey wagtail feeding on the rocks and a heron. There was another grey wagtail further down the Rea, again on the rocks and I saw another kingfisher, which I think is a juvenile from the first brood. It has a favoured patch on the river, where over the winter a female was present. Grey wagtails also present on Woodbrook and Griffins brook.

River Rea 7.30
All quiet at kingfisher nest 1 and 2 locations. I hung around to see/hear where nest 3 might be located but it was quiet. it was the same after nest 1 was vacated, a quiet spell until I found where they were feeding at nest 2. So I expect quiet again until feeding at nest 3. A lone kingfisher was patrolling the stretch. Also present was a heron and then grey wagtails at 2 locations. Great!! (At my Essex patch I've had a few good evenings over the past few weeks with 2 or 3 kingfisher on the lakes/river and then over the sites as new and old establish/patrol their patch)

Last edited:
River Rea 7.30 - I stood by a tree to watch the kingfisher on the Rea and was pleasantly surprised when after a few minutes it stopped on a branch in the tree, 2 metres away from me and we both looked at each other, before flying off. I then moved up the river and stood on the bank and as the kingfisher flew back along the river it saw me this time and flew off into the trees and bushes to avoid me before rejoining the river, further down. Great!!

Last edited:
River Rea 8.30
Kingfisher was further up the river before flying down and back up again patrolling. Heron fishing and a group of goldfinch bathing and taking a drink. Great!!

River Cole - 8.00
I thought I best take a look at the River Cole and spotted a kingfisher flying up and down. I think it was more used to humans than the Rea kingfisher as it didn't fly off course like the Rea kingfisher does when I stood on the bank. Pretty impressive to see it fly round the bend and angle it's body to take the bend. Local kingfishers reported on BTO at the Rea, City Centre, the Bourn and Olton Res. Also one reported at Bartley Res. Great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back