• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX/iPhone 5 DIY kit anyone? (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
Seen a few pics of folk using them on blogs but want to know what you guys are using....ie what homemade materials.

Skinted myself buying the atx so fancy trying DIY method first before saving up again for a dedicated phone scope thingy :t:

Seen a few pics of folk using them on blogs but want to know what you guys are using....ie what homemade materials.

Skinted myself buying the atx so fancy trying DIY method first before saving up again for a dedicated phone scope thingy :t:

My son built this.
Two pieces of 1/16 plywood about 4 x4 inches.
PVC pipe sized to fit his scope eyepiece
Cheap protector case for Iphone 5
Glue one piece of ply to cheap case
Cut hole for lense in ply
Glue PVC to other piece of ply
Hold pieces of ply together , align for centered image and drill three holes at corners.
Leave some slop in holes for alignment
Bolt together.
Attached are some pictures of device. It seems to work.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 90
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 84
I'm gonna buy a couple of cheap basic plastic cases and route about for some tube of some type to fit.

I made a very basic one for my binoculars by using a lens cap, hole in middle and sticking that to a plastic case, works ok but fancy something sturdy like yours for the scope.

I made a fast and easy one with an old case, and half an aerosol lid cut in half.....the lid was the cosset I had to 59mm diameter......soon as I can work out how to upload pics I'll stick some up.

Once my new 99p case arrives ill glue the cap on and add some thin padding to protect the scope

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 89
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back