• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular pocket of good quality? (1 Viewer)

I owned a pair of 10x25 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's for quite a while. They have remarkably good optics and play like a much more expensive binocular. Something to consider.

Wachi,

Rule one: try before you buy.
Rule two: best sellers break down more than low sellers, so more negative feedbacks. Law of quantity.
Rule three: smaller means carrying comfort, bigger means viewing comfort.

Merry Christmas.

Jan

Thanks Gunnar and Raven, for mentioning the Kowa 8x22 which I wasn't aware of. I'll definitely look into it. Does it have electrostatic mirrors, or silver?

[Edit] ... The Kowa is busy-ugly, has an awkward recessed focus knob that looks like knurled metal (ugh), costs almost as much, is just as big as and actually weighs more than the Zeiss 8x25, while having smaller objectives. I don't really see the point.

Last edited:
The Minox 8x24 is a good compromise, mid priced between $$$ alphas and the $ Bushnells. Decent eye relief and larger objectives than the 8x20’s.

Smart HD binoculars could be a great choice
The OP was interested in pocket binoculars. You would need a gigantic pocket for these ATN binoculars.

The price is rather affordable for such a flawless quality.

17% of the reviewers on amazon found the ATN binoculars that you suggested to be terrible, see below. I have read the specs and they are contradictory to say the least (such as a FoV that does not change with the magnification etc.).

https://www.amazon.com/ATN-Binocular-Geotagging-Rangefinder-Gyroscope/product-reviews/B00I6PF6ZA/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Note to anyone as confused as I was: the poster has apparently deleted his post (visible on Google cache) about ATN "HD"(!) digital binoculars that you replied to. In fact he's deleted all 4 of his posts. I wonder whether they were all plugging the same product? I wish I found "flawless quality" so affordable myself... :)

Last edited:
Incidentally the Jan/Feb issue of Bird Watcher's Digest compared pocket binoculars. Tops in their high-end category were the Zeiss Victory and Swarovski CL's (tied), mid-priced Zeiss Terra ED Pocket, and low-end Vanguard Orros...

I have the new Swarovski 8x30 CL. It is a little jewel. Swarovski makes pretty good binoculars. Probably overall the best if you want to pay for that last 5% of performance when you consider optics and quality and customer service if they have their focuser issues solved. In every size they have either THE best or close to the best from the 8x25 CL-P, 8x30 CL, 8x32 SV, 8.5x42 SV and the 10x50 SV.

They have pills for this...

I've found BWD and other large site / organization reviews of optics always seem to rank them based on cost - most expensive always best - which isn't really true in the real world, in my experience at least.
Your probably correct. That is an interesting observation. Cost does correlate with performance but there are many binoculars that perform betong their price point. The Nikon 8x30 EII comes to mind.

And a pocket bino no double hinge ; and no alpha ; bit with a good mechanical and optic quality?
A 8x20 or 8x21 model? ..a true pocket bino for all activities..

It is just an observation that I think a lot of members would agree with. Swarovski has a very good binocular in every size range. It makes sense that they would with their high price point and reputation.

I took the opportunity of a layover in London to try out the new 8x30 CL companion against the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 at Selfridge’s. I wasn’t impressed by the Swarovski. It had marginally larger FOV but wasn’t sharper, despite the lens flattened (the Zeiss has noticeable curvature of field). Also the CL was more predisposed to purple fringing.

Granted, viewing conditions in a busy department store 2 days before Christmas were less than ideal, but some people have been making strong claims about this model that simply do it correlate with my experience. I am not a Swarovski brasher, BTW. My favorite bions are 8.5x42 EL SVs that I packed on my trip as there was astronomy on the program.

I took the opportunity of a layover in London to try out the new 8x30 CL companion against the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 at Selfridge’s. I wasn’t impressed by the Swarovski. It had marginally larger FOV but wasn’t sharper, despite the lens flattened (the Zeiss has noticeable curvature of field). Also the CL was more predisposed to purple fringing.

Granted, viewing conditions in a busy department store 2 days before Christmas were less than ideal, but some people have been making strong claims about this model that simply do it correlate with my experience. I am not a Swarovski brasher, BTW. My favorite bions are 8.5x42 EL SVs that I packed on my trip as there was astronomy on the program.
It is pretty hard to judge a binocular fully in a department store. What really sets the better ones apart is how they perform under low light and under poor cloudy conditions. The CL performs very well under these conditions in my experience. I wouldn't expect the Swarovski CL to be sharper than the Zeiss Victory Pocket because I have heard the Zeiss is very sharp and Zeiss are very sharp on-axis. I have compared a lot of different binoculars for CA and the CL stacks right up there with the best. If the Zeiss Victory is better at CA it must be very good indeed but with the Zeiss's fluoride glass I would expect it to be good at controlling CA. The best binocular I have ever tested for CA is the Zeiss 8x32 FL with the fluoride glass. I got a good deal on a Zeiss Victory 8x25 which I get in a couple days and I will compare it with the new CL and make some comments. The CL has the aperture advantage but it should be interesting anyway. How did you test for CA in department store? Just curious.

How did you test for CA in department store? Just curious.

Find a point light source about 20 meters away, focus on it in the center of the frame, then tilt the binoculars a little away until it is at the edge of the FOV and observe, first without refocusing, then with refocusing.

I would indeed be interested in your observations under better conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back