• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Bird Names Would You Change? (1 Viewer)

I've always rather liked Dutch bird names, many of which could surely be absorbed directly into English usage. ;) Some of my favourites...

• Topper = Scaup
  • Kwak = Night Heron
  • Meerkoet = Coot
  • Strandloper = Sandpiper
  • Watersnip = Snipe
  • Wulp = Curlew
  • Stern = Tern
  • Oehoe = Eagle Owl
  • Hop = Hoopoe
  • Pimpelmees = Blue Tit
  • Koolmees = Great Tit
  • Baardman = Bearded Tit
  • Grasmus = Sylvia warbler
  • Zanger = Warbler
  • Tjiftjaf = Chiffchaff
  • Snor = Savi's Warbler
  • Spotvogel = Hippo warbler
  • Pestvogel = Waxwing
  • Boomklever = Nuthatch
  • Boomkruiper = Treecreeper
  • Huismus = House Sparrow
  • Kwikstaart = Wagtail
  • Vink = Chaffinch
  • Putter = Goldfinch
  • Appelvink = Hawfinch

A double renaming to save time - both Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff to be renamed WillowChiff, thus reducing posts in the Bird ID Forum by about 50% ;)

Since they're not at all closely related to the 'original' Old World vultures and may not even belong with other Falconiformes at all, I'd re-dub all New World Vultures (other than Condors) Turkey-Vultures. This would also have the bonus that we could drop silly qualifiers like 'Cinereous' and 'Monk' for what to me will always be 'Black Vulture.' The American version would thus become 'Black Turkey-Vulture' whilst Turkey Vulture itself could become 'Common' or 'Northern' Turkey-Vulture. Admittedly Lesser/Greater Yellow-headed Turkey-Vulture would be a bit of a mouthful, but we already happily cope with longer names,

Since they're not at all closely related to the 'original' Old World vultures and may not even belong with other Falconiformes at all, I'd re-dub all New World Vultures (other than Condors) Turkey-Vultures.
The proposal (not my own!) of renaming the vultures themselves "Condors" as well solves the long name problem.

I've always rather liked Dutch bird names, many of which could surely be absorbed directly into English usage. ;) Some of my favourites...
Ones that I know went down well were Boszanger (it sounds better when pronounced in English than in Dutch!) for (Leaf)-Warbler and Wouw (pronounced Wow!) for Kite.

Ones that I know went down well were Boszanger (it sounds better when pronounced in English than in Dutch!) for (Leaf)-Warbler and Wouw (pronounced Wow!) for Kite.

I was always rather fond of Wespendief for Honey Buzzard (wasp thief). Although Honey Buzzard is a quirkily good name too, even if it's not strictly accurate.

I kind of like quirky names for birds, and the stories behind them e.g. Barnacle Goose. I think it would be rather sad if we lost that link to the past just for the sake of accuracy.

The English names of most South American birds are pretty awful and staggeringly unimaginative. Look at a page of Foliage-gleaners and weep! I also find them remarkably hard to remember (e.g. Was it Chestnut-crowned or Chestnut-capped Foliage-gleaner I saw?). I'm struck by how rare onomatopoeic names are for Neotropical birds, despite the fact that most of the birds are much more readily noticed (and often identified) by their sounds. I suppose that's what comes from birds being named by scientists looking at collections rather than by people who encounter birds in the field.

I'd like to rename the blackbird. Yes, they're black (well, the males are at least) and they're birds, but it's not exactly imaginative is it? I think I'd call them the Garden Ouzel.

I'd like to rename the blackbird. Yes, they're black (well, the males are at least) and they're birds, but it's not exactly imaginative is it? I think I'd call them the Garden Ouzel.

Like that Seatallen - nice name and for a 'lovely' bird that deserves to be named as such

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Sandwich Tern and Dartford Warbler surely deserve a name change. After all these birds are not confined to Kent. Any suggestions?

Si.

Sandwich Tern and Dartford Warbler surely deserve a name change. After all these birds are not confined to Kent. Any suggestions?

Si.
I would like Gorse Warbler (or actually Gorse Sylvia). It (often) lives in gorse and just like gorse it can't survive severe frost.

any sensible birder already calls semipalmated plovers semi plovers, and same for the sandpiper. i suppose i would rename the european blackbird the black thrush to clear up the confusion with the icterid blackbirds on this side of the pond. maybe the american robin could be the lawn-thrush, and all the other new world turdus thrushes (clay colored robin, rufous backed robin, etc.) should have name changes as well. suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back