• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fully Leucistic Cardinal (1 Viewer)

Robin Harrison

Paris,Ontario area.....don't know how uncommon these are but it was a bit like seeing a unicorn emerge.
Very exciting....early morning, rainy, very poor lighting conditions.

BETTER IMAGE BELOW.....

Attachments

• Cardinal....fully  leucistic - - Copy.jpg
    Cardinal....fully leucistic - - Copy.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Not sure what I am seeing here. To me it looks like a female Northern Cardinal. Perhaps an immature but I'm not seeing any leuscisim here. Point me in the right direction.

Immatures of NoCa are supposed to have black bills I think, so if it is a female we should compare to e.g., this: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Image:IMG_98233.JPG

I feel it has less black pigment than normal but probably normal amounts of read pigment. Given what I just said, it could be a young bird - but that would be very early in the year for Ontario?

Niels

As in the message title, fully leucistic N.cardinal, female I guess because she is accompanied by a male.
I'm calling it this not from personal experience but from this web site. It's the first seriously leucistic bird I've seen but from Sibley's description, if there is a gradation from "partially" to "fully", she is at the "fully" end of the range.......she is closer to being white than the usual pale brown.
www.sibleyguides.com/2011/08/abnormal-coloration-in-birds-melanin-reduction/
In my image the brown is more apparent than seeing her live. As I said the light was terrible.

Ah! I missed the white on top of the bird but I would not call this fully leucistic but partial leucistic.

Maybe this gives a better idea of this bird.
Essentially white with a very pale brown flush on it's breast....I would have thought fully leucistic, but other than the web site I referenced, I don't know.
To see it live was a real jaw-dropper.
I was with 2 other experienced birders who live in Ontario and we see these at our feeders and in the wild every day....we were speechless (very briefly!)
Robin

Attachments

• Fully leucistic Cardinal.jpg
    Fully leucistic Cardinal.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back