• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paddyfield Pipit - Sennen, Cornwall - 03.11.19 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Fifteen pictures of the Paddyfield Pipit at Sennen, Cornwall from 3rd November 2019. The bird has been identified by sonogram from its apparently diagnostic call albeit DNA confirmation is also being sought. Before the significance of the sonogram had been realised, the identification as Richard's Pipit had already being disputed.

The species is largely sedentary. The previous nearest records are from the UAE. As a result, it seems pretty irrefutable that the bird will not be a genuine unassisted vagrant and the likely possibilities are either a deliberate import and subsequent escape or a bird that has received an inadvertent assisted passage.

The condition of the bird is poor with apparent arrested moult in the wings and tail with two ages of primaries and tail feathers in particular being very obvious. It has been suggested that this suggests trauma thereby supporting either the escape or assisted passage theories.

The hindclaw is significantly shorter than Richard's Pipit. One observer suggested to me that its hindclaws are of unequal length but from my pictures, I am unsure about that.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• ABA 001.JPG
    ABA 001.JPG
    327.6 KB · Views: 322
  • ABA 002.JPG
    ABA 002.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 315
  • ABA 003.JPG
    ABA 003.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 224
  • ABA 004.JPG
    ABA 004.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 317
  • ABA 005.JPG
    ABA 005.JPG
    397.3 KB · Views: 300
A further set of pictures. The fourth shows the left hindclaw and the fifths shows the right hindclaw.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• ABA 006.JPG
    ABA 006.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 177
  • ABA 007.JPG
    ABA 007.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 157
  • ABA 008.JPG
    ABA 008.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 167
  • ABA 009.jpg
    ABA 009.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 187
  • ABA 010.jpg
    ABA 010.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 268
Finally, a set of photos showing the different ages of the feathers.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• ACA 001.JPG
    ACA 001.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 192
  • ACA 002.jpg
    ACA 002.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 198
  • ACA 003.jpg
    ACA 003.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 178
  • ACA 004.jpg
    ACA 004.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 235
  • ACA 005.jpg
    ACA 005.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 208
Nice pics (of a cracking bird ;) ).

You didn't happen to take them between around 3:00 - 3:30 this afternoon by any chance? (The two guys next to me were trying to confirm hind claw length at that time and just before it flew around the corner ... )

Nice pics (of a cracking bird ;) ).

You didn't happen to take them between around 3:00 - 3:30 this afternoon by any chance? (The two guys next to me were trying to confirm hind claw length at that time and just before it flew around the corner ... )

Many thanks. Indeed..... 3:)

No. Pics were from this morning. For me, it has excessive wear at the bill base giving it a snouty look. The hindclaws were mentioned to me this morning by an observer who got that impression yesterday.

All the best

Many thanks. Indeed..... 3:)

No. Pics were from this morning. For me, it has excessive wear at the bill base giving it a snouty look. The hindclaws were mentioned to me this morning by an observer who got that impression yesterday.

Some of them really are nice pics ;-)

It certainly is/has been going through something.

Ha, unless it was a really popular conversation on the day, almost met.

Claws, feet; nothing wrong there, no?

Just noticed this post. Yes. Nothing wrong there from a damage etc perspective. I am presuming the DNA does not confirm the sonogram analysis though from the prolonged silence.

All the best

Last edited:
Just noticed this post. Yes. Nothing wrong there from a damage etc perspective. I am presuming the DNA does not confirm the sonogram analysis though from the prolonged silence.

I was wondering if it hadn't worked - I recall something about it only has a c75% chance of containing the birds own dna in faecal samples in traceable amounts???

James Hanlon posted on Twitter yesterday that the sample had drawn a blank in terms of identifying any DNA material and that a second sample was now being progressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back