• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding locations near York (1 Viewer)

RobinD

I will be working in York on Wednesday night and Thursday morning and will have a bit of free time before and after work (I hope!).

Can anyone recommend any sites near York for birds that are hard to come by in Berkshire? (e.g. Wood Warbler, Dipper...). I will have a car.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

RobinD said:
I will be working in York on Wednesday night and Thursday morning and will have a bit of free time before and after work (I hope!).

Can anyone recommend any sites near York for birds that are hard to come by in Berkshire? (e.g. Wood Warbler, Dipper...). I will have a car.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Wheldrake Ings is a nice wetlands just south of the city off the A19. You may get a few passage waders and terns this time of year.

When I lived there, I used to travel over to the Strid at Bolton Abbey near near Ilkley for Wood Warbler, Dipper, Pied Flycatcher etc, but that's about an hours drive. Not sure if there is a place really close to York for these species.

There are plenty of great places in Yorkshire if you want to travel about a bit.

trealawboy said:
Wheldrake Ings is a nice wetlands just south of the city off the A19. You may get a few passage waders and terns this time of year.

When I lived there, I used to travel over to the Strid at Bolton Abbey near near Ilkley for Wood Warbler, Dipper, Pied Flycatcher etc, but that's about an hours drive. Not sure if there is a place really close to York for these species.

There are plenty of great places in Yorkshire if you want to travel about a bit.

Oh, you could get Nightjar at Skipwith Common too. Again just south if the city, via the B road from Escrick.

http://www.tka.co.uk/yoc/

RobinD said:

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Guaranteed both at Spa Gill Woods (especially WW) near Ripon. The Dipper will be on the river that runs thru the woods (obviously)

John.

john barclay said:
Guaranteed both at Spa Gill Woods (especially WW) near Ripon. The Dipper will be on the river that runs thru the woods (obviously)

John.
Hi John
Can you give me directions to spa Gill Woods.
Many thanks
Stan.

Thanks for the advice. Spa Gill Woods look to be at SE255689, north west of Fountains Abbey. Hopefully I will get a bit of time to look around!

Regards,

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back