• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Windows Update issues (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Blooking MS!!! Don't like what they've done.

OK.... how do I get rid of the new large search box to the left of the Toolbar, with the microphone? Also I don't want the "People" icon on the Taskbar either.

They've lost some of the paths I'd set up and I don't know how to get them back. For instance, when I opened the Picture folder I wanted to work on and double-clicked on the image, it took me to Paint.net so I could edit it.

Now it goes to the Windows Pictures screen.

And still on pictures. When I put a card in the slot, there used to be an Import screen come up where I could decide whether to have them in a day or month folder. A friend set that up for me, and I don't know what he did.

Now nothing happens, and the only way to get at my pictures is to set up a new folder, find the drive with this card in, find the folder there where the images are, then copy/paste them into my newly named folder.

For some reason I'm hitting something, which I can't work out, and instead of typing, the Start menu opens. This never happened before.

That's day 1. No idea what other issues I'll come across now.

Any help to resolve any of these would be much appreciated.

I have no answers I'm afraid, but are you on Windows 10? I'm sticking with 8.1 as long as possible. I last had a Windows update on Wednesday 7 Feb ("Patch Tuesday" being "Patch Wednesday" in this country). There were no problems with it, but then I've chosen to allow security updates only, wanting to keep my machine behaving and looking like XP as much as possible. I image that if other things are allowed to update, the position would become more complicated (on XP I once allowed it to update my printer drivers, notwithstanding that the printer worked fine. Needless to say, after the driver update, the printer stopped working).

I hope someone can be more helpful. I see there's another post about problems following an update.

Hi John

Yeah.... a new laptop, so it's W10, though has the Classic Shell installed so looks like the 'old' version.

I hated W8 with all those jewels, or gems or whatever they called them!!! I really couldn't see the point of that version at all. That was when the Classic Shell was put on, and it's transferred to this laptop.

Thanks Delia. I don't actually have Classic Shell, but have set up Win 8.1 so that it pretty much does the same thing, booting straight to the desktop with all my icons nicely arranged. It bypasses the "tiles" which were the main new thing after XP. Only occasionally do I go into the tile view, usually to tell the machine to pin something to the desktop taskbar. The other new thing is "apps", which I insist on still calling "programs". But then I have no smartphone, on which apps are the whole point (my mobile is a ten quid Nokia from 2006 - it still holds a charge as well as it ever did).

None of which is relevant to your question! I do hope you get somewhere with it soon.

Delia for the 'PEOPLE' right click on the lower task bar then remove the tick for people. As for the big search box with microphone I don't have it.

Oh brilliant!!! Oh so simple John. Many thanks.

I'd right-clicked the task bar 101 times, but just hadn't noticed that option.... silly me!

LOL Thanks for the pointer John. That m/phone one was there too.... it's Cortana. I've 'hidden' it, so it's gone.

Thanks again lad.

MS yet again.....

Re Blooking MS!!! Don't like what they've done.

They certainly know how to put the blockers in, don't they?

MS have built "Cortana" into the system, whether you want it or not. My daughter got a new laptop for Christmas, and we found Cortana slows down everything quite demonstrably. Unfortunately, it's tricky to remove. Solution depends on W10 version - do you have the "Home" OS, or something else? Both solutions involve going behind Windows OS, so precision required...!

I like using the Windows viewer - it allows me to get rid of duff pix instantly, and is easy to zoom into to see if cropping would help - having vetted the pix, I then use Photoscape (also free to download) to edit the pix - Photoscape looks at the folder of your choice, so easy to edit all pix within that folder. Re Paint.net, do you mean you had downloaded the free Paint.net programme onto your computer previously, or are you going to a web programme? If the former, and if this is a different computer (which won't therefore have all the programmes you previously had) just do a Google search for Paint.net, download it, check the "exe" file with a virus scanner, then double-click to install onto your machine. Then, right-click on a picture in your directory, and change the "open with" attribute to Paint.

Re card, what you describe is the way I do it, which allows me to decide which folder I put them in. I suspect that the programme for this is also not on your new machine...

Thing opening unexpectedly - When you say "instead of typing", what is it you are typing into?

Ian

Re Blooking MS!!! Don't like what they've done.

They certainly know how to put the blockers in, don't they?

MS have built "Cortana" into the system, whether you want it or not. My daughter got a new laptop for Christmas, and we found Cortana slows down everything quite demonstrably. Unfortunately, it's tricky to remove. Solution depends on W10 version - do you have the "Home" OS, or something else? Both solutions involve going behind Windows OS, so precision required...!

Cheers Ian.... I found how to get rid of that search bar and the m/phone, by right-clicking the Task Bar. One day I might disable the programme altogether.

I like using the Windows viewer - it allows me to get rid of duff pix instantly, and is easy to zoom into to see if cropping would help - having vetted the pix, I then use Photoscape (also free to download) to edit the pix - Photoscape looks at the folder of your choice, so easy to edit all pix within that folder. Re Paint.net, do you mean you had downloaded the free Paint.net programme onto your computer previously, or are you going to a web programme? If the former, and if this is a different computer (which won't therefore have all the programmes you previously had) just do a Google search for Paint.net, download it, check the "exe" file with a virus scanner, then double-click to install onto your machine. Then, right-click on a picture in your directory, and change the "open with" attribute to Paint.

No, I had Paint.net installed on this machine. I decided I didn't like the Windows picture viewer (a previous version I did like, but not the new one). I use Faststone to scroll through my images and do a couple of things with if I want to.

What I'd done before this latest update, was simply double-click on the desired image and Paint would open for me to do the edits I wanted. Now that path has been lost and I don't remember how I set it up before.

Re card, what you describe is the way I do it, which allows me to decide which folder I put them in. I suspect that the programme for this is also not on your new machine...

It's just frustrating when it doesn't work how you're used to it working. I'll no doubt get used to it, but last yesterday I had to fiddle around to try and find the "Select All" option, and now I can't remember where it was, so will have to go through that all over again LOL.

Thing opening unexpectedly - When you say "instead of typing", what is it you are typing into?

Ian

Could be typing anywhere, but generally on a post such as this or a comment in the Gallery. Or an email. Something happens and suddenly the Start menu pops up, and the last half dozen words I've typed aren't there (I'm a proper typist and can type without looking at my fingers or the screen!!!). Don't really like this keyboard either, but that's another issue LOL.

Hi Delia

The insistence on Cortana is maddening - couldn't help myself, and had to get shot of it via the Registry.

If Paint.net is installed, right-click on one of the photos, select "Properties" and select the "opens with" button. This should result in a list of programmes capable of dealing with this file type. If Paint.net is one of them, select it and tick the box that says "always use this programme" or words to that effect. If it's not, let me know - it's a wee bit more involved.

To Select All, left-click with the mouse on the blank are of the folder next to the top left image, drag all the way to the right of the last image and let go - seconds to highlight all. Then drag any of the selected images into the other folder.

Re typing, the shortcut keys to open Start Menu are either the Windows key or a combination of Ctrl + Esc - are any of these positioned awkwardly, and might you be accidentally hitting either while typing?

Hi Delia

If Paint.net is installed, right-click on one of the photos, select "Properties" and select the "opens with" button. This should result in a list of programmes capable of dealing with this file type. If Paint.net is one of them, select it and tick the box that says "always use this programme" or words to that effect. If it's not, let me know - it's a wee bit more involved.

Brilliant.... thanks Ian. Hope it sticks for tomorrow LOL.

To Select All, left-click with the mouse on the blank are of the folder next to the top left image, drag all the way to the right of the last image and let go - seconds to highlight all. Then drag any of the selected images into the other folder.

I'll try and remember that one next time I've a download to do. Yesterday I came back with about 400 pictures from about 2 hours! But not always that many LOL.

Re typing, the shortcut keys to open Start Menu are either the Windows key or a combination of Ctrl + Esc - are any of these positioned awkwardly, and might you be accidentally hitting either while typing?

Yeah... OK the Windows key is down bottom left. But strange how it happened about 20 times yesterday when it hadn't been an issue before that last update.

I'll see how it goes now that I know.

Ah! I've found out why I keep getting these annoying pop-ups....

Before that update I had the touch pad set to disabled when a mouse was installed... but I now find that it's working again (infuriating, as the mouse pointer suddenly moves to somewhere else on the screen when I'm typing).

However, I've now no idea how I managed to do it as it was months ago.

Soooo. I've done

Start>
Device Manager>
Expanded Mice and other pointing devices

There's two options:
ELAN pointing device
HID-compliant mouse

and I don't know which one to disable.

I have a Logitech mouse

Is there anyone who can help. Is there a different way, so that the touch pad will work if the mouse isn't there?

Thanks Niels.

I found how I did it before Fn+f7, but that no longer works.

I seem to have found the 'sensitivity' setting and got that set to low, so hopefully that will work for me. Don't trust it though.

And I was right not to trust it. It's come back again this morning, even though the 'sensitivity' is still set to low.

I can see I'll have to go back to an old method of covering the blooming thing - looked very untidy though!

It's driving me mad with different things happening.

Hi Dave

It's a Lenovo Ideapad 310.

I've got the touchpad covered with a bit of cardboard and the pop-up things seem to have gone away now. But if you (or anyone) can come up with a more permanent solution it would be wonderful.

I'm sure there should be an option to disable it automatically when a mouse is installed, but try as I might I can't see it anywhere.

Fn+f7 seems to come up with

Pressing F7 turns Caret Browsing on or off. This feature places a moveable cursor in web pages, allowing you to select text with the keyboard. Do you want to turn Caret Browsing on?

I selected 'yes' but it made no difference, so don't know if that is now the right option for it. It worked when I did it last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back