• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod Head (1 Viewer)

I have been chasing a couple of these but they now cost more used than they did new! Good thing I like my 300 F4.
Not sure they have changed a lot in price over the last year. As far as I can see you can still pick-up a private sale one for £3000-£3250 but trouble is like most of the super teles they do not come up very often. I bought mine a couple of years ago (used) and it appreciated in value in the short time I had it but that was reflective of the new cost which rose significantly in the UK (and elsewhere) due to the strong yen and rise in vat. Still a lot cheaper than the MkII version (around 5k at the moment) although I am not ruling out getting one myself together with a MkIII 2x tc.

Last edited:
My Sirui tilt head arrived yesterday. I had ordered it via a well-known online retailer and it came from a Berlin photographic dealer. The check card from the Chinese factory was dated 13.3.2012! I thought container shipments took longer.

My version is marked L-10 and has a screw lock for the QR plate. It is very well finished, a little taller and heavier than the Manfrotto 234 and the tilt friction is smoother too, but not on a par with a fluid video head. The transition from friction to locked is rather abrupt.

Btw, I measured the base of the Sirui dovetail at 39,1 mm and those from Novoflex and Berlebach at 38,85 mm.

John

Not sure they have changed a lot in price over the last year. As far as I can see you can still pick-up a private sale one for £3000-£3250 but trouble is like most of the super teles they do not come up very often. I bought mine a couple of years ago (used) and it appreciated in value in the short time I had it but that was reflective of the new cost which rose significantly in the UK (and elsewhere) due to the strong yen and rise in vat. Still a lot cheaper than the MkII version (around 5k at the moment) although I am not ruling out getting one myself together with a MkIII 2x tc.

Start saving! Those new 300s are very expensive!
I have the 2 x mk3 extender and can confidently say it is significantly better than the mk2 I had. I didn't bother much with the mk2 as I was not happy with the IQ loss. You still loose significant IQ with the mk3 (remember I am using F4 lenses)but the 2 x now comes with me and is used when necessary - the mk2 tended to stay at home.

My Sirui tilt head arrived yesterday. I had ordered it via a well-known online retailer and it came from a Berlin photographic dealer. The check card from the Chinese factory was dated 13.3.2012! I thought container shipments took longer.

My version is marked L-10 and has a screw lock for the QR plate. It is very well finished, a little taller and heavier than the Manfrotto 234 and the tilt friction is smoother too, but not on a par with a fluid video head. The transition from friction to locked is rather abrupt.

Btw, I measured the base of the Sirui dovetail at 39,1 mm and those from Novoflex and Berlebach at 38,85 mm.

John
Sounds like you got a better version than mine - well done!

Start saving! Those new 300s are very expensive!
I have the 2 x mk3 extender and can confidently say it is significantly better than the mk2 I had. I didn't bother much with the mk2 as I was not happy with the IQ loss. You still loose significant IQ with the mk3 (remember I am using F4 lenses)but the 2 x now comes with me and is used when necessary - the mk2 tended to stay at home.
I am fully aware of how much they cost, I can pick one up for around £5k which does not bother me( plus £375 for a 2x mk3)
In my experience 2x tc are only at their best with a f2.8 lens, so I can understand your experience with f4 lenses.

Last edited:
What would you guys recommend as a good, cheap head for a monopod. I'm unsure whether to go for a ball head or 3 way pan one. Which design is best for a monopod and has anyone got any specific models they'd recommend?

Alex

I asked this question some time ago, and bought a manfrotto 234 in despair, as all decent tilt heads were astronomically expensive. I used the 234 once, and never again. For many months now I have just used a Wimberley ARCA-style clamp directly on the top plate of the monopod, and it works extremely well in almost all commonly encountered situations. So good in fact that I rarely take my tripod anywhere. The clamp I bought was called a C12 and has a twist lock. It is very sturdy, and I have no qualms about having the monopod over my shoulder with the camera and lens (5.5kg) still mounted. Best 65 quid I ever spent.

I asked this question some time ago, and bought a manfrotto 234 in despair, as all decent tilt heads were astronomically expensive. I used the 234 once, and never again. For many months now I have just used a Wimberley ARCA-style clamp directly on the top plate of the monopod, and it works extremely well in almost all commonly encountered situations. So good in fact that I rarely take my tripod anywhere. The clamp I bought was called a C12 and has a twist lock. It is very sturdy, and I have no qualms about having the monopod over my shoulder with the camera and lens (5.5kg) still mounted. Best 65 quid I ever spent.
I agree about the 234 - I also used a Arca-swiss style clamp (jobu) direct onto the monopod when I was shooting with the 300/2.8 - would have been nice to have had a tilt head but for me the 234 was just not up to it. I have ordered a Sirui tilt head L-10x just to see if it is any better (only shooting with a 400/5.6 these days so lightweight).

I've tried the Manfrotto 234RC with my 300 2,8 and it's just no good. I now use just the monopod without a head.

Isn't the Sirui a knock-off of the RRS MH-01?

I've tried the Manfrotto 234RC with my 300 2,8 and it's just no good. I now use just the monopod without a head.

Isn't the Sirui a knock-off of the RRS MH-01?

Yup!
Not as good but way cheaper!
I have the L10 X - it's pretty good - I am quite sure the RRS is far better - but lots more pennies!

My Sirui L10-X arrived today, not tried it in the field yet but playing around at home it is certainly a lot smoother tilt action than my 234. My Jobu arca style lens plate also fits (just!) so I can just leave it on the lens for tripod,monopod or hand carrying via a Black rapid strap - ideal!!!.
I also have the option of using the Sirui QR plate on the Black widow gimbal and Jobu arca lens clamp if I want, again the Sirui plate just fits these (the Sirui plate is a little narrower than the Jobu gear).
Just need a decent bit of weather to test the tilt head in the field now.

My Sirui L10-X arrived today, not tried it in the field yet but playing around at home it is certainly a lot smoother tilt action than my 234. My Jobu arca style lens plate also fits (just!) so I can just leave it on the lens for tripod,monopod or hand carrying via a Black rapid strap - ideal!!!.
I also have the option of using the Sirui QR plate on the Black widow gimbal and Jobu arca lens clamp if I want, again the Sirui plate just fits these (the Sirui plate is a little narrower than the Jobu gear).
Just need a decent bit of weather to test the tilt head in the field now.

I found the same with the Sirui plates, they are just that little bit narrower which is a bit of a pain on the L10X with the lever lock.
I have a couple of the Sirui QR plates and have put them on my camera bodies and use my Kirk/Wimberley/unbranded QR plates on my lens feet. That way when I use my monopod (with the L10) all my "Other Brand" plates fit and, on my tripod heads, I have screw locks so the size does not matter.
If you have a look at where the locking lever (on the L10X) pivots you will see that there is an Allen head grub screw which you can adjust (with some force) to give a better lockup. I am shure with your background your have already spotted this.

I'm thinking of buying this for my 300mm 2.8 lens. Anyone has the same combo for comments ?

Since my last post I have bought a 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 and can confirm that it's fine with this lens and a pro body. Last weekend I got the chance to try the RRS MH01 and have to admit it is considerably better, than the Sirui, but is silly money for what it is (the owner agrees).
Get the version with the screw type QR clamp rather than the lever type if you can, it is simply easier as Arca type plates do vary in size Especially the Sirui ones!
If you can only get the lever type then it can be adjusted quite simply (not necessarily easily!). If you look at where the lever pivots you can see an allen headed bolt - this can be adjusted to give the right tension for your Arca QR plates, make certain your Allen key is a tight fit as Sirui have a thing about thread lock - they use a lot of it!

Since my last post I have bought a 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 and can confirm that it's fine with this lens and a pro body. Last weekend I got the chance to try the RRS MH01 and have to admit it is considerably better, than the Sirui, but is silly money for what it is (the owner agrees).
Get the version with the screw type QR clamp rather than the lever type if you can, it is simply easier as Arca type plates do vary in size Especially the Sirui ones!
If you can only get the lever type then it can be adjusted quite simply (not necessarily easily!). If you look at where the lever pivots you can see an allen headed bolt - this can be adjusted to give the right tension for your Arca QR plates, make certain your Allen key is a tight fit as Sirui have a thing about thread lock - they use a lot of it!

Thanks a lot John !

The locking mechanisme is smooth ? I planned to use it with my Wimberley plate ...

Thanks a lot John !

The locking mechanism is smooth ? I planned to use it with my Wimberley plate ...

My lever type L10 wouldn't lock on my Wimberley plate so I had to adjust it - see previous posts for details, now it locks fine on all plates except Sirui!?! If you get the one with the screw type lock then it will fit any arca style plate.

The tilting mechanism on mine was quite smooth but the amount of drag varied as the angle changed being stiffer around top dead centre. I couldn't quite see why as there was no difference in the metal thickness and the locking cross piece was not fouling anything. If you look just above the locking knob there is a silver Allen headed bolt, I slackened this (intending to take the head apart) and noticed that everything smoothed up even more. I then re tightened it to a more sensible level and the drag consistency has improved. It was OK before but is better now - I think this bolt was over tightened in the factory.
Overall I find it quite good but remember this is no RRS so don't expect as much and you won't be disappointed especially at the price.
Hope the above helps.
P.S. Just looked at your avatar - I have not yet tried carrying it over my shoulder with the 300 F2.8.

Last edited:
My lever type L10 wouldn't lock on my Wimberley plate so I had to adjust it - see previous posts for details, now it locks fine on all plates except Sirui!?! If you get the one with the screw type lock then it will fit any arca style plate.

The tilting mechanism on mine was quite smooth but the amount of drag varied as the angle changed being stiffer around top dead centre. I couldn't quite see why as there was no difference in the metal thickness and the locking cross piece was not fouling anything. If you look just above the locking knob there is a silver Allen headed bolt, I slackened this (intending to take the head apart) and noticed that everything smoothed up even more. I then re tightened it to a more sensible level and the drag consistency has improved. It was OK before but is better now - I think this bolt was over tightened in the factory.
Overall I find it quite good but remember this is no RRS so don't expect as much and you won't be disappointed especially at the price.
Hope the above helps.
P.S. Just looked at your avatar - I have not yet tried carrying it over my shoulder with the 300 F2.8.

Hehehe thanks a lot John. Will updated once I got this one in my hand and the avatar was in 2007 I think carrying my Nikon ED82 scope ;)

I just bought the Sirui L-10 at the local store and in the box not stated L-10X. I checked with Sirui website, no indication of L-10X too. Is it different model than L-10?

When I tested the Wimberley Arca Swiss plate with my 300mm 2.8 VR II,it does fit without any problem. It comes with 6 years warranty too. Mine looked like this one http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/sirui-l-10-monopod-tilt-head.html

Any comments?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back