• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Identification (1 Viewer)

jheddings

Hi there!

This is my first post, so please help set me straight if I’m doing this wrong ;)

We spotted these two hummingbirds today and are looking for some help ID’ing them. Growing up, we always assumed they were Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds. However, lately I’ve been reading that those are pretty rare in our area and the Broad-Tailed Hummingbird is more common. However these are very slender and do not seem to have the feathers of a Borad-Tailed.

These were spotted on our feeder in Black Forest, Colorado. Thanks for any help or pointers!

Attachments

• 4C5B7381-BEC2-49EA-8A7A-AFE22E74D8A0.jpg
    4C5B7381-BEC2-49EA-8A7A-AFE22E74D8A0.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 07D6A799-09F5-4895-886D-1E8CDB2DCE35.jpg
    07D6A799-09F5-4895-886D-1E8CDB2DCE35.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 45
I think both are Broad-tailed, which are certainly more common in your area. Note the white between the eye and the bill on the male and the rusty flanks on the female. Listen when the male flies - it makes a whistling sound unlike the humming of a Ruby-throat. Later in the summer you will have to worry about distinguishing female Broad-tailed from Rufous and Calliope - that will be more of a challenge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back