• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long focus zoom lenses (1 Viewer)

baillieswells

I am completely new to this forum, and do not yet know how to navigate it. The question I am asking has probably been 'done to death' before. I have recently had a holiday in South Africa, where my animal photos are pretty good, but my bird photos abysmal except for ostriches and a couple of Southern Ground Hornbills. I would appear not to have a long enough focal length lens. I have a Canon EOS 350D/Rebel XT digital camera with a Canon f4 70 - 200mmL lens and Canon 1.4 extender. On the digital camera this represents a maximum equivalent of 448mm. I am thinking of getting a lens up to 500m which would give a maximum equivalent of 800. I cannot afford the Canon L lenses, and have narrowed the search to the new Sigma 170 - 500mm DG lens and the Tamron 200 - 500mm lens. Have any members of the forum experiences or views on either or both of these lenses for bird photography? Comments would be appreciated.

I use the Tamron, and rate it pretty highly. Most of the photos in my gallery were taken using this lens. I'm not a "great" photographer, but, they should give you a rough idea of what you can achieve.
My gallery

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back