• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The soon to be G9 (1 Viewer)

Well ime very happy with the pricing, its made my decision a lot easier, i am no longer Nikon mike but back to being m4/3 mike.
Got a G80 this morning and 100-400 on its way to me

Didn't you swap to Nikon because of a faulty 100-400mm leica that you never got back from service?

What do you hope to gain with the G80 + 100-400 combo vs the D500-100-400 sigma? Less weight and size? Reach?

:smoke:

Last edited:
Didn't you swap to Nikon because of a faulty 100-400mm leica that you never got back from service?

What do you hope to gain with the G80 + 100-400 combo vs the D500-100-400 sigma? Less weight and size? Reach?

:smoke:

Yes 3:)

All three, the panny set up was just as good as the Nikon for my area of needs, dont get me wrong the D500 is a better camera but it goes way beyond what i need it to do.
The other big advantage for me is the EVF when photographing a bird in a tree or in flight to be able to see exposure adjustments in the viewfinder make it a lot better.
I do also know i can handhold the 100-400 @ 400mm at a lot lower shutter speed using the dual IS.

Mike, welcome back to the fold. I wonder how much of the pricing is introduction hype or in other words how soon we will start seeing rebates.

Niels

Mike, welcome back to the fold. I wonder how much of the pricing is introduction hype or in other words how soon we will start seeing rebates.

Niels

Thanks, nice to be back.

Think that will depend on how well it sells,i dont feel its overpriced if it lives up to the hype, if m4/3 is to continue and grow it needs the more expensive gear in the line up.
Lets be honest did we know how capable the G80 was.

Yes 3:)

All three, the panny set up was just as good as the Nikon for my area of needs, dont get me wrong the D500 is a better camera but it goes way beyond what i need it to do.
The other big advantage for me is the EVF when photographing a bird in a tree or in flight to be able to see exposure adjustments in the viewfinder make it a lot better.
I do also know i can handhold the 100-400 @ 400mm at a lot lower shutter speed using the dual IS.

Ok, seems logical, portability is important and Dual IS/OIS will definitely beat the sigma. Hope you get a good copy this time. :t:

Last edited:
Well, G9 priced at $1699 in the US, not the $2300 rumored.
Seems a very capable big camera, sort of a D500 with a micro4/3 sensor.

Well, G9 priced at $1699 in the US, not the $2300 rumored.
Seems a very capable big camera, sort of a D500 with a micro4/3 sensor.

An even closer analogy at this point would be it's a panasonic version of the Oly EM-1 mk. ii, but will team with the PL 100-400 for dual IS. Shares the Oly's focus on speed, photo shooting, dual card slots, IS, electronic shutter, weather resistance, etc. and at a similar price point. It's also 3 oz. heavier than the Oly (and heavier than the G80/85), which was already the heaviest Oly in recent times, I believe. But will need to see reviews and images later on before I form an opinion on how closely it compares to the oly in actual use. Also, the weight difference, while not large, is significant for me. I think the M4/3 bodies are pressing the envelope in terms of weight for a system for which portability is supposed to be one of the main attractions.

Last edited:
An even closer analogy at this point would be it's a panasonic version of the Oly EM-1 mk. ii, but will team with the PL 100-400 for dual IS. Shares the Oly's focus on speed, photo shooting, dual card slots, IS, electronic shutter, weather resistance, etc. and at a similar price point. It's also 3 oz. heavier than the Oly (and heavier than the G80/85), which was already the heaviest Oly in recent times, I believe. But will need to see reviews and images later on before I form an opinion on how closely it compares to the oly in actual use. Also, the weight difference, while not large, is significant for me. I think the M4/3 bodies are pressing the envelope in terms of weight for a system for which portability is supposed to be one of the main attractions.

There is a lot in what you say regarding weight but still someway to go before a golf trolley or a sherpa is an essential part of the equipment. On another note, I find IQ with the G80/PL100-400 with X2 digital zoom equal to if not better than the E-M1ii/300 f4 PRO with 1.4 TC.

Was just about to do the same (G80) but holding off a bit since according to some initial info:

- Autofocus improved (lets see if the reviews confirm)
- USB Charging and Powering
- Big EVF

Is it worth another US$900? Maybe from my perspective if CAF+Tracking actually works.

Well ime very happy with the pricing, its made my decision a lot easier, i am no longer Nikon mike but back to being m4/3 mike.
Got a G80 this morning and 100-400 on its way to me

Was just about to do the same (G80) but holding off a bit since according to some initial info:

- Autofocus improved (lets see if the reviews confirm)
- USB Charging and Powering
- Big EVF

Is it worth another US$900? Maybe from my perspective if CAF+Tracking actually works.

That viewfinder looks pretty addictive. Don't try it..;)

Still no phase-detect, but a f2.8 lens will definitely help in AF-speed though.

I'm sure the 200/2.8 Leica will be a very sharp lens, but it's overpriced, here is another lighter 200/2.8 (APS-C) at a third of the price.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542149-USA/Pentax_21700_SMCP_DA_200mm_f_2_8_ED.html

Or why not a Nikon 300/4 PF as comparison it's 450mm f5.6 eqv. on a D7500.

Would be very interesting to see a comparison between these systems and the picture quality in real life.

Maybe it's something I don't get here...:cat:

Last edited:
Agree 200/2.8 Leica has a high price. However they have positioned the price between a regular 200mm/f2.8 ($1000) and a 300mm/f2.8 ($3000 - $8000) using the lower end of prime prices on BH Photo.

WISH they had PDAF. I’m waiting to see CAFTr test results with Pana 100-400mm to determine interest.

Yes, I do not want to look through that EVF as it may hypnotize me to buy, without confirming necessary performance criteria first.

That viewfinder looks pretty addictive. Don't try it..;)

I'm sure the 200/2.8 Leica will be a very sharp lens, but it's overpriced, here is another lighter 200/2.8 (APS-C) at a third of the price.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542149-USA/Pentax_21700_SMCP_DA_200mm_f_2_8_ED.html

Or why hot a Nikon 300/4 PF as comparison it's 450mm f5.6 eqv. on a D7500.

Would be very interesting to see a comparison between these systems and the picture quality in real life.

Maybe it's something I don't get here...:cat:

I am not sure the influence on speed is as large for CDAF as it would be for PDAF. Remember that CDAF has been used on lens combinations far below (numerically above) F8 while PDAF usually struggle to go on strike beyond F8.

I will not go to the 200, but I like my 100-400

Niels

I am not sure the influence on speed is as large for CDAF as it would be for PDAF. Remember that CDAF has been used on lens combinations far below (numerically above) F8 while PDAF usually struggle to go on strike beyond F8.

I will not go to the 200, but I like my 100-400

Niels

Maybe, but expectations must be very high. G9 does 20fps in AFC mode. Not much room for error or hesitation there. ;)

Clarification: I probably should have written "PDAF usually struggle or go on strike"

Niels

The 200mm is bundled with a 1.4x converter with a 2x as an optional accessory. It'll be interesting to see how close the 1.4x combination comes to the 300mm Olympus lens in performance

Unlike Olympus, Panasonic have been slow to produce converters for their lenses (unless their existence has somehow passed me by). Are they compatible with lenses other than the 200mm? It'd certainly be handy to have the option of boosting my 100-300mm lens although I'd guess it's too old to be compatible but what of the newer 100-400mm lens?

Unlike Olympus, Panasonic have been slow to produce converters for their lenses (unless their existence has somehow passed me by). Are they compatible with lenses other than the 200mm? It'd certainly be handy to have the option of boosting my 100-300mm lens although I'd guess it's too old to be compatible but what of the newer 100-400mm lens?

I was wondering the same about the 100-400, looking at the TC design the back end of the lens would need some empty tube for the converter to sit in.

Attachments

• ipc20028_6.jpg
    ipc20028_6.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 37
I was wondering the same about the 100-400, looking at the TC design the back end of the lens would need some empty tube for the converter to sit in.

Page 6 of the operating instructions supplied with my PL100-400 state and I quote " you cannot attach a conversion lens or adaptor to this lens. A filter may be used but any other element may cause damage to the lens."

scroll down a little on this one to see a photo of the back end of the 100-400. I do not think it will work https://www.ephotozine.com/article/...o-elmar-100-400mm-f-4-0-6-3-asph-review-28971

Niels

Thanks. Given that this lens & the associated converters must surely have been at the design stage at the very least when the 100-400mm lens was coming to fruition then it seems remarkably short-sighted not to have made them compatible. Surely, though, more lenses that are compatible must be with the pipeline ....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back