• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10.5mm vs 10-24mm (1 Viewer)

redtail7

Hi Guys
I'm looking to purchase a wide angle lens, my question is, Should I buy the fixed lens AF-S DX 10.5mm f2.8G or the AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5-4.5G? Has anyone got any experience with either lens shooting landscapes? Regards Tony

Hi Tony,

The 10.5mm is a fisheye lens. Not sure if that is what you're looking for. Fisheyes are fun but have limited use. You'll see extreme distortion in most of the picture except the center. The idea is to provide something akin to the goldfish perspective (from a fish bowl) perspective on life. Of the top of my head the 10.5mm has a 180 degree field of view and the 10-24mm goes up to something like 110 degrees. The 10-24 (and other non-fisheye lenses) is build to have minimal distortion.

My guess is you're looking for the 10-24. As an aside, you may want to consider the Tokina 11-16 as well for better low-light ability and a sturdier built.

You can also create fish-eye like distortion in Photoshop (but don't ask me how!), so a wide -angle zoom may be a better bet as it will give more flexibility.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back