• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deanna D Northern Studio (1 Viewer)

Arthur - Thank you! its good to be back, I have been getting wonderful advice and alot of help here. BF is a wonderful place!

Ive been a bit slow to post here - there is a group of artists that have started an artisan centre and its a little crazy to try and keep 13 people all on the same page, as well as some major changes in my own life have just kept me away from here and sadly my painting..

Just got back from a week of backpacking inthe rockies, very inspiring... and also learnt that one of my paintings sold! woo hooo!!

This is the one I sold, any comments on improvement are always apprciated.

See you all on your threads!:smoke:

Attachments

• Sparrow.jpg
    Sparrow.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 62
Well done on the sale - you bring great character to your work and in this one especially so. Very clever use of the sombre palette wich actually brings a degree of richness and vitality and the addition of the white nicely lifts the image up in key.
Hope the Rockies were inspirational - nothing quite like being 'out there' for sorting out the soul - just a wee bit, anyway.

Tim - Thank you! You comments mean alot to me :) The mountains were definitally inspirational, and sure lets you let go of reality..for awhile anyways!

Colleen - I think we posted at the same time! :) Thanks!! :D Im hoping the value is a bit better on this one... ???

what could i do to improve for next time?
. . . add a hundred dollars to the price-tag ;)

No, seriously - we've mentioned this before - your work has great charm which is being recognised by your fellow artists and the buying public - not bad, eh? Just keep doing your work for you - as the great Lars Jonsson says about painting birds; 'Do them your own way' (paraphrased). I don't know how much direct drawing from life you already do, but it's a discipline and a pleasure to develop this side of your work so perhaps a sketchbook on your knee when having a coffee in the garden (or tramping through the Rockies ;) )
Keep at it - it's lovely stuff.

aha Thanks Tim! I would love to add some $$ to the price tag but so far im averaging 1 sale per year lol :-C but I am hoping things will pick up as Ive gotten my work into more places in the last couple months.

My backyard is lacking in birds as my 2 big dogs tend to chase them all :eek!: I did take a sketch book on my hike with me, I really enjoy sketching while I watch them, Definitally something I need to work on as my speed is lacking as they tend to move too quick for me.

Glad you like it :D:D

Thank you Phil! I am glad you like it!

what could i do to improve for next time?

Suvi,

I am loathe to tell anyone how to improve their work. As I consider it an intensely personal thing. And I've been damaged in the past by the meddling of others.

I really like the individual nature of your work. And as Tim says, do what YOU do and what no-one else can. That is what people will respect. Paint what you feel you see. Not what others tell you it should be. Refer to the living subject for answers. Then interpret your way. Sketching birds, I find, is a process of making "quick memories", then translating them to paper. Often I find I am sketching "jigsaw bits" of a bird. Only later will I put them together as a whole subject. A bit like taking down messy instructions for building a plastic model aircraft, complete with notes. Have a look through others' threads to see this in action.
If your sketches look like an unintelligible mess to outsiders, then, I believe, you are on the right track! After all, the sketches are there to help YOU create something wonderful later!

Keep on practising, and keep posting!!!:t:

Last edited:
Thanks Phil! It is wonderful to have so much postive encouragment! I have been wading through all the threads and I am really impressed by the variaty of life sketches and how they translate into finnished products. There is so much great advice and inspriation on this forum, I am trying to read through everyones threads from the begining so my comments may take some time!!

I am itching to get home and get painting tonight! You have all really made me feel wonderful about my work! Thank you for that!

Brilliant!

Take your time, and enjoy every moment. And keep coming back for a chat.

Too many friendly people here!

And never be scared to post any piece! You'll get great response from these fine people!

ps That male House Sparrow was very nice...

Thank you! Ive just gotten back from a big family dinner and am hoping to give my pups some attention then head to the studio for a few hours before I have to hit the hay and get up bright and early for my other job! lol

I always appreciate words of advice & encouragment Thanks again!

no surprises at all that your sparrow sold, what a charming, personal piece, so wonderful in its simplicity, I think that anyone can relate to it and enjoy it. You've had some wonderful advice here and I can only agree with it, glad to see you back posting and congratulations on the sale - one bit of advice to add, never judge your work by what sells, I'm supposed to be one of those professional artists and all, but still have to do the day job, people may like what they see and say so, but they don't always part with cash. Even if things don't sell, always remain true to what you want to do, and you'll have the partial satisfaction of being as true to yourelf as you can.

The overall colour in this is cooler than the photograph shows, Im not sure why it has that nice hue to it but couldnt get it to photograph any better, Will wait for an overcast day and try again! (but it can wait awhile!!;) )

Attachments

• RoadRunner (2).jpg
    RoadRunner (2).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 34
nick - Thank you for your words of encouragment, I am still learning and while Ive been painting for a long time its been only the last 3/4 years that Ive really started to submit work for exhibitions and group shows and recently the arts centre, I am very proud to have sold as many pieces as I have and find it very hard to change my style to what will sell more as one of the artists here have suggested I do.. it is good to hear from a pro that I should paint what i want to :)

On that note advice is always welcomed and more than appreciated on how I could improve on my technique as I am mostly self taught. I did attend a Fine arts program in university for a short while but found the profs there simply pushed their own style and taught what I learnt in highschool, I decided if I was going to attend a school for art that wasnt going to be it!! Since I have found much more enjoyment from taking the odd course and joining forums like this

Welcome back Deanna! Congrats on the sale of your oriental influenced sparrow, no surprise really, they're endearing lilttle characters.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back