• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field-sketches and descriptions (1 Viewer)

Here is a "what the hell is that one". If it wasn't scrawled alongside... not sure you'd get it

Attachments

• DSCN5184.JPG
    DSCN5184.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 511
OK..this is 25 years old... it wasn't submitted at the time. The county recorder said it wasn't possible to ID females and anyway it was an escape.

Almost tempted to submit it, though this is all I have, plus a desciption of the call.

Can you tell what it is from the pic alone...?

Attachments

• DSCN5185.JPG
    DSCN5185.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 2,081
  • DSCN5186.JPG
    DSCN5186.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 252
The excellent drawing skills shown above shouldn't put people off sketching. You're not trying to impress the recorder with your artwork (but I guess it helps). My sketches are just the big circle, little circle approach with most of the work done with words and arrows.

Hi Jane,
Devilishly hard from the pic: can only narrow it down to female Black-headed or Red-headed Bunting(shame on me!)
Harry H

I can't read all of your notes around the pic, Jane. I got the yellow vent area, rufous mantle area and white as in wing bars I assume and the notes on the eye. I would go for female Black-headed Bunting but then you have to remember what is in my signature..........

Field note

Here it is-at leat I hope so.

The numbers on the text were just because I had to send a translation to the Spanish people who were interested in this...

Attachments

• aquaticWarbler.bmp
    504.5 KB · Views: 310
Joern,
Your writing is rubbish can't understand a single word ;) - , but your drawing is very very very good. I would think that a records committee would be able to accept that on the artwork alone. I am envious.

CJW said:
Resembles a bird? I think it resembles a 'lesser goldie' - nice one Jane.

Exactly. I don't think Jane has quite grasped the possible scale of ineptitude here. Here, against my better judgement, is a typical field sketch. Guess the species - or the order!

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 298
Here is the text from the bunting..
B-h bunting still about, showng well in spartina, -large head, generally dull bird. Underparts dirty cream, throat slightly paler, utc quite bright yellow. Upperparts mostly dirty grey brown but mantle feathers with quite rufous tips. Wings with whitish fringes - thin on most feathers but big enough to give two wing bars. Stongest marking black median coverst - like tawny pipit. Head/nape almost without streaking, just a bit on crown. Bill ????-grey colour, legs pinky brown...tail without plae outers. PLain face and beady eye.

Hi,
thanks , Jane ,Colin , I did my best. I also like those you made, Jane -also the older ones. You wouldn´t like to see my first-well everyone has to start

I just found I still had the translation of the text, here it is. I could observe the bird for about 25 minutes before it finally flew off, but due to its movements in the grass it was about half of this time not very well visible. I don´t know if the description is of interest, but here it comes...

1.Warbler: Cullera Marshes, observed from 5 – 20 m distance
Size as Willow Warbler / Chiffchaff

2. Colour of bill: Do not remember exactly; dark?

3. light loam-yellowish coloured, sharp-bordered middle stripe on head, same colour as stripe above eyes, but narrower; a little bit of dark directly in front of eye, but no stripe from eye to base of bill

4. short thin stripes on feathers at the sides of breast, but inconspicuous; sides of breast/belly light brownish, lighter to the middle

5.Two clear conspicuous light stripes on back* (*similar colour as stripe above eye), between these stripes dark, getting lighter in direction to the tail, the lighter brown area above the tail has short dark stripes; those are clearest shortly above tail;
this bird is with much more contrasts in colours than Acrocephalus schoenobaenus or Acrocephalus melanopogon.

6. light stripes on back also conspicuous when bird flies; strange tail – pointed feathers?! look a bit like a treecreepers (Certhia) tail; no white in tail as would be with Cisticola juncidis

7. Legs seem to be light “brownish” / “meat coloured”

8. pointed tail

9. jumps and climbs alongside the grass stems, does not go onto ground, if goes into rice field, he sits sideways of the 15-20cm long stubbles; in the up to 70 cm maximum hight grass bushels at the roadside he often hangs with each leg on a different t grass stalk, sometimes short flights of several meters

--aquatic warbler Acrocephalus paludicola

Oh dear all those lovely field notes have been lost. David.. everyone else I insist you put them all back... :)

Here are some pages from my log for now

Attachments

• spanspug.jpg
    spanspug.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 375
  • goldie.jpg
    goldie.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 342
  • pal1.jpg
    pal1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 247
  • purple heron.jpg
    purple heron.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back