• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Formats and Quality (1 Viewer)

jpoyner

Scotland
Am trying to get my head round video editing, so have a couple of "basic" questions re formats. Ok here goes.

The camera records in MPEG2, but to edit in Moviemaker I need to convert to AVI....does this lose quality? (Also why doesn't MM just accept MPEG?)

Then what is the best way to save it to DVD? I read that when saving AVI to DVD it will automatically convert back to MPEG which loses quality?

I think basically what I'm asking is what is the best way to edit my footage (preferably with Moviemaker as it's quite good and easy), then save it to DVDs without any loss?

Thanks,

John

John I'm guessing your on Windows XP?!

The Windows Moviemaker that ships with XP doesn't do Mpeg2 but the one that comes with Windows Vista and 7 does.

Yes, DVD standard is Mpeg2 so to use Windows Moviemaker XP you will need to convert your Mpeg2 into a format it understands AVI or WMV and then when you burn it to DVD it will be converted back into Mpeg2. Al that to-ing and fro-ing will cripple the quality.

You best bet if you want good results is to get something like Adobe Premiere Elements.

John I'm guessing your on Windows XP?!

The Windows Moviemaker that ships with XP doesn't do Mpeg2 but the one that comes with Windows Vista and 7 does.

Yes, DVD standard is Mpeg2 so to use Windows Moviemaker XP you will need to convert your Mpeg2 into a format it understands AVI or WMV and then when you burn it to DVD it will be converted back into Mpeg2. Al that to-ing and fro-ing will cripple the quality.

You best bet if you want good results is to get something like Adobe Premiere Elements.

I have Vista Home Basic. Still does not seem to work with MPEG2s. When I import the video file I just get audio playing and a blank preview screen (perhaps this is another issue, I assumed it just didn't work with them?).

Yep my problem is how much quality is lost by these conversions. I like Moviemaker but does seem daft I have to convert it to AVI, then as you say, back to Mpeg2 when it burns to a DVD.

Cheers for the reply

John

Last edited:
I'm no expert in any way with this, but I thought you could download MPEG2 without any bother?
http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=wl_movie_makerv1&market=en-US
It seems to be listed in this help page. I've not been able to use my camcorder with Windows 7 as our change of computer has left me without a firewire port, so I'm only guessing, I'm afraid.

Seems it only supports Mpeg in Vista Home premium upwards !!! Why does damn MicroSoft always do this???

See note at bottom

Support for using MPEG-2 and Microsoft Recorded TV Show video files in your movie (A file created by combining the video, photos, audio, and text contained in your project into one video file. Movie files are created when you save or publish your movie in Movie Maker, and are saved as a Windows Media file with a .wmv file name extension.) is available only if your computer is running one of the following editions of Windows Vista or Windows 7: Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate.

Your best solution is to obtain purpose built video editing software. I use Corel Video studio which covers all those formats and all HD. Also allows you to adjust the video for antishake, light, sharpen and much more. Also has a youtube link.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back