• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO 77 (1 Viewer)

albertclyde

Hello Everyone,

I just received a new APO 77. The 20 x 60 lens arrives tomorrow. I will be new to digiscoping but I have been posting in the Leica photo forum for three years. I have already learned so much from this forum...thank you trailblazers.

Here is my question: What is the big difference, when photographing, between having the zoom lens set at 20 or 32 as opposed to having a dedicated 20 or 32 ? I just don't get it...... yet.

Al......... St. Paul, MN

Typically, a fixed magnification eyepiece will have a wider field of view, and be a bit brighter than a zoom set to the same level. For digiscoping, that means the fixed lens can permit faster shutter speeds.... but on the flip side, you haven't got the same flexibility and reach for long-distance record shots that you have with the zoom.

I use both a fixed 32 and a zoom on an Apo 77 - and get far and away the best results with the 32 - I only use the zoom if really necessary.

Rob Smallwood said:
I use both a fixed 32 and a zoom on an Apo 77 - and get far and away the best results with the 32 - I only use the zoom if really necessary.

Thanks Gentlemen,

I am old enough to listen to those more experienced than I. I am going to order a 20 or a 32 to get this show on the road.....I'll be shooting the Panasonic equivalent of the Leica C-Lux 2.....7.2 megapixels, Lumix DMC
something or other.....I am going this route because I have so much time invested in the Leica Photo Forum and want to continue posting there....The Lumix is legal because of the Leica lens

Help again......Why should I choos the 20 to go with my 20 x 60
Or: the 32.......I can't do both

Al

It depends on where you are most likely to use it.

If you plan to photo birds that are very close - say at a feeding station then the 20X is brilliant.

If you might need to photo birds at long range the zoom is needed.

If you are going to vary then I'd say go for the 32X as a half way house.

Personally I use the zoom on my APO77 even for digiscoping. I know a lot of people prefer a fixed eyepiece for digiscoping, but I like viewing with a zoom and don't like messing about changing eyepeice just to get a shot... It is cerainly possible to digiscope with the zoom and get acceptable results, though I only use the bottome end of the zoom for digiscoping.

If you are looking for a fixed eyepeice to compliement your zoom I'd recommend the 32x. The 20X will not offer much advantage over 20x on the zoom, but the 32x is much better for digiscoping than the zoom set at 32x. When I did more digiscoping I did buy a 32x to use along side my zoom but ended up getting rid of it as I hardly ever used it. I think you should see how you get on using the zoom before rushing to buy a second eyepeice.

Which just goes to show if you ask two digi-scopers the same question you'kll get two answers - although Postcardcv's results tend to be better than mine so...... ;)

Rob Smallwood said:
Which just goes to show if you ask two digi-scopers the same question you'kll get two answers - although Postcardcv's results tend to be better than mine so...... ;)

Many Thanks to all who have offered this valued advice......I feel much better educated.......time to jump in......Al

albertclyde said:
Hello Everyone,

I just received a new APO 77. The 20 x 60 lens arrives tomorrow. I will be new to digiscoping but I have been posting in the Leica photo forum for three years. I have already learned so much from this forum...thank you trailblazers.

Here is my question: What is the big difference, when photographing, between having the zoom lens set at 20 or 32 as opposed to having a dedicated 20 or 32 ? I just don't get it...... yet.

Al......... St. Paul, MN
I think on Andy Bright's website (qv) he showed that there was no practical difference at all.

I have'nt taken my 32x out of its case for months ,I use the 20x eyepiece all the time,good for birds up to about 50yards away I'd say!!!!

I also seem to remember reading that several of the top-end zooms have equally good light transmission to fixed eyepieces, so agree with Scampo that there is virtually no difference for digiscoping. I think the main difference between the two is actually when viewing, when a wide-angle is nicer to look through (especially when compared to the field-of-view through a zoom at 20 or 30 times).

I tend to leave the zoom on my Swaro most of the time now, including for digiscoping, and generally find it more versatile.

SteveClifton said:
I also seem to remember reading that several of the top-end zooms have equally good light transmission to fixed eyepieces, so agree with Scampo that there is virtually no difference for digiscoping. I think the main difference between the two is actually when viewing, when a wide-angle is nicer to look through (especially when compared to the field-of-view through a zoom at 20 or 30 times).

I tend to leave the zoom on my Swaro most of the time now, including for digiscoping, and generally find it more versatile.

Even more thanx for this valuable feedback.....I'll stick with the zoom during the learning period, as suggested, if I am not pleased with the quality of the photographs.......then.......I'll ask for more help....Al

Some Leica Televid APO 77 w/20-60 Eyepiece Examples

albertclyde said:
Even more thanx for this valuable feedback.....I'll stick with the zoom during the learning period, as suggested, if I am not pleased with the quality of the photographs.......then.......I'll ask for more help....Al

Hi, Albertclyde

If your interested, the following link to my site at pbase shows a number of examples of digiscoping photos taken with a Leica Televid APO 77 Scope with a 20-60X eyepiece at different magnifications:

http://www.pbase.com/dlee/ds2007

Dick

assayer said:
Hi, Albertclyde

If your interested, the following link to my site at pbase shows a number of examples of digiscoping photos taken with a Leica Televid APO 77 Scope with a 20-60X eyepiece at different magnifications:

http://www.pbase.com/dlee/ds2007

Dick
Thanks Dick........Your photographs are beautiful and have really inspired me.....I haven't even screwed in the lens yet......my next question is the adapter situation....are you hand-holding or adapting....Al

Thanks, Al. Take another look at pages 3 & 4 of the the website I referenced above, it shows the adapter, tripod, and head I'm currently using. Before switching to the SRB-Griturn Adapter and Fuji F30 Finepix camera, I was using a Nikon Coolpix 990 and LCE / SDA 100 adaptor combination. I never have been able to get decent photos when handholding.

Dick

assayer said:
Thanks, Al. Take another look at pages 3 & 4 of the the website I referenced above, it shows the adapter, tripod, and head I'm currently using. Before switching to the SRB-Griturn Adapter and Fuji F30 Finepix camera, I was using a Nikon Coolpix 990 and LCE / SDA 100 adaptor combination. I never have been able to get decent photos when handholding.

Dick

O.K......I really like the looks of your adapter and cable.....I am going to be shooting a Panasonic Lumix FX07......my scope is the angled variety.....any adapter direction will be much appreciated.....I am going to order the Manfrotto immediately....Al

AlbertClyde,

I'm not familiar with the Panasonic camera so I can't address that issue. However the SRB-Griturn adapter will work with the Leica APO 77 angled scope, since it connects to the eyepiece. (**If you are using the Leica 20-60x eyepiece, make sure you order the adapter for that eyepiece since it has an opening so you can adjust the eyepiece zoom.) A cable release is optional. I ordered mine from the website. The SRB adapter costs ~$160 (90 pound sterling) and shipping is ~$10 (5 pounds sterling). It is only shipped by 1st class mail and took about 3 weeks to arrive here in Houston, TX.

Hope this helps?

Dick

assayer said:
AlbertClyde,

I'm not familiar with the Panasonic camera so I can't address that issue. However the SRB-Griturn adapter will work with the Leica APO 77 angled scope, since it connects to the eyepiece. (**If you are using the Leica 20-60x eyepiece, make sure you order the adapter for that eyepiece since it has an opening so you can adjust the eyepiece zoom.) A cable release is optional. I ordered mine from the website. The SRB adapter costs ~$160 (90 pound sterling) and shipping is ~$10 (5 pounds sterling). It is only shipped by 1st class mail and took about 3 weeks to arrive here in Houston, TX.

Hope this helps?

Dick
Thanks Dick,

I should be all set except for the skill and experience....Al

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back