View Single Post
Old Thursday 4th July 2013, 11:46   #10
Millionaire-ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Chowch and Si,
AWC (based at Mornington Wilderness Camp and elsewhere) have with landowners and traditional owners devised and implemented a burn control programme that has benefitted (amongst others) Gouldian Finch, by restoring the best age-class vegetation community within a large range of habitats, thus minimising lock-step restricted growth of mature vegetation. The scheme extended from Arnhem land to south and west of Mornington in WA. When I visited Mornington and spoke to the scientists, they had high hopes that this fire regime would be attractive to adjoining land users. By my reckoning, that wouldn't be that far from the Night Parrot's discovery area, and given the hypothesis that this species is a typical Australian interior wanderer, I can see that AWC could be a big player in this species' conservation.
MJB
Mornington Wilderness Camp (AWC) is in the Western Australian Kimberley region, a monsoonal (wet-dry) tropical region, dominated by tropical Eucalyptus woodlands (tree dominated) often with a groundcover of Triodia (Spinifex) and other grass.

Its roughly 2,000 km, from the recent (Queensland) Night Parrot find, and perhaps 900 km north of the Pilbara records (old specimens, recent obs).

Its also outside the known range of Night Parrot records. The range is poorly known, so its possible they could occur. But its a very long way from present find and a substantially different habitat type: tropical savanna woodland versus semi-arid shrubland/woodland presumably dominated by spinifex