• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (3 Viewers)

A good day for soaring raptors brought

11. Turkey Vulture (f)
12. Red-tailed Hawk (f)

A quick check of eBird revealed that I entered 88 species from the yard last year. Another quick check revealed that I have entered 105 species total (all years) into eBird from the yard. Given that I have a decent expanse of sky to view, I think 100 species may not be out of the question this year, especially if I spend more early mornings outside!

Last fall was an especially exciting year from the yard. Single-day highlights included 61 Purple Finches (just short of eBird county high), 1,126 Blue Jays (eBird county high, all birds were counted in only 70 minutes or so!), and 924 Broad-winged Hawks.

We'll see what happens. I'm certainly shooting for 100, though!

January 4th - unexpected morning watch while car getting a new tyre

30. Goldcrest
31. Stock Dove
32. Great Spotted Woodpecker
33. Song Thrush (my first anywhere this year, #94)
34. Long-tailed Tit

Steve

A good day for soaring raptors brought

11. Turkey Vulture (f)
12. Red-tailed Hawk (f)

A quick check of eBird revealed that I entered 88 species from the yard last year. Another quick check revealed that I have entered 105 species total (all years) into eBird from the yard. Given that I have a decent expanse of sky to view, I think 100 species may not be out of the question this year, especially if I spend more early mornings outside!

Last fall was an especially exciting year from the yard. Single-day highlights included 61 Purple Finches (just short of eBird county high), 1,126 Blue Jays (eBird county high, all birds were counted in only 70 minutes or so!), and 924 Broad-winged Hawks.

We'll see what happens. I'm certainly shooting for 100, though!

I managed 85 last year and 87 in the year before, the total overall here (we only arrived two years ago) is 96 now, so I've set myself a target of 90 (again;)).
Off to a modest start:
1 Mistle Thrush
2 Marsh Tit
3 Coal tit
4 Blue tit
5 Great Tit
6 Nuthatch
7 Carrion Crow
8 Raven
9 Chaffinch
10 Brambling
11 Greenfinch
12 Goldfinch
13 Siskin
14 Hawfinch
15 Yellowhammer
16 Green Woodpecker
17 Bullfinch
18 Blackbird
19 Fieldfare
20 Magpie
21 Golden Eagle
22 Crested Tit
23 Jay
24 Robin

Slow and steady today, with three additions.

13. Cooper's Hawk (f)
14. American Crow (f)
15. American Goldfinch

At dusk, I saw a small flock of mergansers with the hundreds of roosting geese. In all likelihood they were Common, but all I got was a five-second silhouette view. I should be able to nail Common Merg down sometime this year, though.

I took a close look today, not in eBird this time but in my Sibley guide, to see what a reasonable year total might be. Although mid-90s seems more likely, 100 is not out of the question.

I managed 85 last year and 87 in the year before, the total overall here (we only arrived two years ago) is 96 now, so I've set myself a target of 90 (again;)).
Off to a modest start:
1 Mistle Thrush
2 Marsh Tit
3 Coal tit
4 Blue tit
5 Great Tit
6 Nuthatch
7 Carrion Crow
8 Raven
9 Chaffinch
10 Brambling
11 Greenfinch
12 Goldfinch
13 Siskin
14 Hawfinch
15 Yellowhammer
16 Green Woodpecker
17 Bullfinch
18 Blackbird
19 Fieldfare
20 Magpie
21 Golden Eagle
22 Crested Tit
23 Jay
24 Robin

......I shudder to think what an immodest start might look like! - eleven there I need of which at least four I won’t be getting! ;)

......I shudder to think what an immodest start might look like! - eleven there I need of which at least four I won’t be getting! ;)

Four? Hmmm let me think: G Eagle and Crested Tit obviously, but the other two?
Marsh Tit and Yellowhammer?
Two more ‘early birds’ already added this morning:
25 Common Buzzard
26 Great Spotted Woodpecker

Four? Hmmm let me think: G Eagle and Crested Tit obviously, but the other two?
Marsh Tit and Yellowhammer?
Two more ‘early birds’ already added this morning:
25 Common Buzzard
26 Great Spotted Woodpecker

Correct on the four!..however this am Wren and Grey Wag make it nos.36 and 37.

January 5th - rather chilly morning watch

36. Goosander - 5 flew west, only my second record
37. Raven
38. Redwing - 2, scarce locally since Christmas
39. Greylag Goose

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back