• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

For those interested I'm posting the compiled Warwickshire monthly sightings that are published in Bird Watching magazine within my blog.

http://out4aduck.blogspot.co.uk/p/warwickshire-sightings-2015.html

I try and find the sightings through everyones blogs, RBA and Twitter but would welcome any other sources.

You can also see the latest sightings from Salford Priors GP.

Hi Neil
Is there public access to Salford Priors GP and Pophills? If so, please can you say where is best to park?
Cheers
Mary

Access to Pophills is easy, you can park by the green gate. Sadly the Estate are doing some drainage work in the fields next door which has stopped our good run with the waders.

http://out4aduck.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Salford Prior Gravel Pits

Access to south area is very limited. There are public rights of way but not ideal. Drop me a mail if you ever fancy a visit and if I'm around I'd be happy to help. Wellington boots are a must !

There is a guide to Salford Priors GP in my last Bird Watching magazine (Autumn 2015), page 52, No7 in the Go Birding section.

Dave

That's very true, however the main pit isn't even mentioned or shown. I can only think this is due to the restricted rights of way. Let's hope things improve in future when the estate take back over the land.

Cheers for the info, Neil; we've only viewed bits from the road in the past.
Will look out for BW mag, Dave, cheers.

Very good count of 340 Golden Plover and 1150 Lapwing today just south of Salford Priors Village in brown fields south of A46 on screen shot

Attachments

• P1020525.JPG
    P1020525.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 20.06.45.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 20.06.45.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 119
Adult Glaucous gull at Hill top farm ,Hunningham at 2pm in the field left of the drive then flew east ; presumably the bird roosting at Draycote.

Thought I'd post a couple of shots of Siskin's taken around Salford Priors today.

For those who use Hillers Hide, a polite notice has gone up asking patrons to spend no longer than a hour in the hide at any one time. Plenty of proper birds just down the road at the pits ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2811.JPG
    IMG_2811.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 77
Hi all, out for a drive yesterday (Thursday) my wife shouted "Look at all those buzzards and there could be a Red Kite among them" I stopped the car and walked back a few yards to look out over a field and woodland and counted at least 13 birds, plenty of Buzzards but at least 4 Red Kites. The Buzzards were generally moving away but the R Kites were circling over the tree tops and the nearest part of the field. They gave me the impression that it could have been their territory although I did not see any that I could say were youngsters as I did not have my bins with me. I hesitate to give the location on here but let me say it was somewhere between Coventry and Rugby. I was just wondering if this is a new (only) R Kite colony in Warwickshire. I will be going back with bins in the next few days to see if they are still there and see if there is any evidence of breeding.

Dave

Many folks will already be aware that two Cattle Egret have been roosting at WMBC Ladywalk for the last few nights and frequenting a cattle field adjacent to the railway line at Lea Marston during the day. I had an hour on the river/railway bridges once the rain had stopped this afternoon but could only find one Cattle Egret, and reports this evening suggest only one bird roosted at Ladywalk too.

The fields nearby were full of geese, gulls and corvids, with plenty of Pied Wagtails also around the cattle. Stonechat and Cetti's Warbler in the marshy area next to the river on the other side of the road. Mixed group of around 15 Swallow and House Martin through. Peregrine hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back