• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you ever been torn between a twitch or sporting events? (1 Viewer)

Had no idea LGRE was a West Brom fan..........:t:

I would be very surprised if LGRE is a West Brom fan. Don't get the impression he likes footy, but I may be wrong. I bet Luton is Lee Evans team :)-

Steve Nuttall (one of top 10) definitely is an Albion fan, he also was a very good player and played for Albion as a youth player, so he's bloody good at a few things.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that the Baggies fan in question is Steve Whitehouse.

Ah ok, Steve Nuttall is top ten on BUBO these days, and has been for some years, but actually not sure if he was back to 1993.
He is currently 5th on 542. Don't know Steve Whitehouse, he doesn't use BUBO (not that everyone does of course).

So 2 Albion fans in top ten, flippin eck, do I not like that 8-P

Last edited:
Ah ok, Steve Nuttall is top ten on BUBO these days, and has been for some years, but actually not sure if he was back to 1993.
H e is currently 5th on 542. Don't know Steve Whitehouse, he doesn't use BUBO.

So 2 Albion fans in top ten, flippin eck, do I not like that 8-P

In the pre-computer days, before you could download a report on almost anywhere, instantly, SW would sell other peoples trip reports as part of his living, I think he was also involved in the regional 'Birdline' in the early days?

I would be very surprised if LGRE is a West Brom fan. Don't get the impression he likes footy, but I may be wrong. I bet Luton is Lee Evans team :)-

Steve Nuttall (one of top 10) definitely is an Albion fan, he also was a very good player and played for Albion as a youth player, so he's bloody good at a few things.

You clearly haven't been twitching long enough if you don't know the story of LGRE and the Pacific Swift at Cley.

Don't know Steve Whitehouse, he doesn't use BUBO.

I think once upon a time he was the youngest person to get to 400 in the UK

It wouldn't surprise me. Steve W was original Top Ten. I was using it in its historical context though cannot immediately lay my hands on the Birding World analysis. Tennessee Warbler & Bimaculated Lark reminiscences here:-

https://www.birdguides.com/articles...o-remember-the-bimaculated-lark-on-fair-isle/

All the best

Apologies to Steve Whitehouse, I only started birding 1998, but wish I had done so in the previous decades as that seems to be the period most fondly reflected upon by many birders, for a variety of reasons. Steve Whitehouse is clearly a very highly-respected birder. No disrespect to him ever intended. Ignorance on my behalf, if you can call it that. I'm afraid my birding knowledge tends to only extend to this forum. I expect I have inadvertently bumped into him during my birding expeditions over the years.

Andy, you saying LGRE missed the Pacific Swift to go and see Albion in the play-off Final then? Or what is the story?

Last edited:
Apologies to Steve Whitehouse, I only started birding 1998, but wish I had done so in the previous decades as that seems to be the period most fondly reflected upon by many birders, for a variety of reasons. Steve Whitehouse is clearly a very highly-respected birder. No disrespect to him ever intended. Ignorance on my behalf, if you can call it that. I'm afraid my birding knowledge tends to only extend to this forum. I expect I have inadvertently bumped into him during my birding expeditions over the years.

Andy, you saying LGRE missed the Pacific Swift to go and see Albion in the play-off Final then? Or what is the story?

It was an attempted joke on my part, LGRE is widely thought to have not seen this bird despite his continuing insistence that he did.

Last edited:
A great question. It depends on where priorities lie of course, but I also have several hobbies and interests, and also quite like remaining married with my genitals intact so like everyone else have to balance birding with other interests and commitments. Generally, if I have previously agreed to do something, family or otherwise, I will usually stick to my word and honour those commitments, although it can sometimes be hard to swallow.
TBF my other half is generally pretty understanding and will give me a free pass if something exceptional turns up within easy distance as long as it does not affect promises made to others. That is not to say that I have not occasionally been in a spot of marital disharmony when announcing at what others may see as an inappropriate time that I was setting off with bins and scope and would be back "some time later".
When a decent bird turns up however, it is not a foregone conclusion that I will automatically dash off regardless. I have turned down several twitching opportunities when I have had other commitments.
Like many I derive pleasure from all of my hobbies and interests (I wouldn't do them otherwise) and like to think that I have the balance about right. Sometimes you just have to make a decision and hope it turns out the best. If I had tickets for LCFC in the cup final, I in all honesty, cannot think of anything that would stop me going but I would generally happily miss other games for a decent year tick.

A great question. It depends on where priorities lie of course, but I also have several hobbies and interests, and also quite like remaining married with my genitals intact so like everyone else have to balance birding with other interests and commitments. Generally, if I have previously agreed to do something, family or otherwise, I will usually stick to my word and honour those commitments, although it can sometimes be hard to swallow.
TBF my other half is generally pretty understanding and will give me a free pass if something exceptional turns up within easy distance as long as it does not affect promises made to others. That is not to say that I have not occasionally been in a spot of marital disharmony when announcing at what others may see as an inappropriate time that I was setting off with bins and scope and would be back "some time later".
When a decent bird turns up however, it is not a foregone conclusion that I will automatically dash off regardless. I have turned down several twitching opportunities when I have had other commitments.
Like many I derive pleasure from all of my hobbies and interests (I wouldn't do them otherwise) and like to think that I have the balance about right. Sometimes you just have to make a decision and hope it turns out the best. If I had tickets for LCFC in the cup final, I in all honesty, cannot think of anything that would stop me going but I would generally happily miss other games for a decent year tick.

Mine seem to have become surplus to requirements since I got married.....;)

Why? Personal taste innit. I remember I worked with a guy once who, when I told him I had zero interest in (professional) sport, which is basically kid's games taken seriously ('Triple jump'? We called it 'Hop, Skip and Jump' when I was 9), said 'I have reservations about people who don't like sport' which I thought must have been rather unfortunate for him, since it was of no interest to me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back