• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow warbler, North of Stockholm, Sweden (1 Viewer)

Claudia

Hi everybody,

I am really confused, but I heard what sounded like a singing willow warbler today north of Stockholm, near a lake called Råstasjön. I unfortunately never saw the bird and it only sang once, a short vers.

I realize that this is very unlikely. We saw a treecreeper close by, so one explanation might be that it was a treecreeper singing that sounded a lot like a willow warbler? When I compare them on my bird song CD they don't sound too much alike, though. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Or is there yet another bird that sounds like willow warbler which is more likely to be found here right now?

Or, finally, do you think it is possible that also willow warblers could follow the trend of other birds like blackbirds, robins, hedge accentors (...) and gradually migrate less when winters get warmer?

I'd be very grateful for comments
/Claudia

A singing Willow Warbler at this time of year in Sweden is very very unlikely. Chaffinches have a descending song which could be thought similar - it's a fruitier, fuller voice but the journey down the scale is quite like a willow warbler. Chaffinches are just starting to sing already here. Try listening to that to compare?

Graham

EDIT: Sample song here - this sounds a littler quicker than average to me. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/chaffinch/index.asp

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for your answer.

As far as I remember, the song I heard was far too soft for a chaffinch and it also lacked the typical flourish at the end. I think I can exclude chaffinch.

/Claudia

Last edited:
One species that often gets me going for a moment when the first willow warblers are back is blue tit, doesn't really sound alike if you're listening properly, but often I don't!

Hi Nick,
thanks for your comment and well, there were blue tits around, that's for sure.

If you are talking about the typical blue tit's song, this "diii diiii di di dududududududu" (you know what I mean?), then I know that this is not what I heard at that point (but very often today otherwise).

By now I went through many different blue tit calls/songs and there was nothing that sounded like what I heard today... ???

But anyway - I already learnt a lot today! By now I am leaning towards the treecreeper's song as source of confusion. Although I once believed I could tell them apart. :h?:

/Claudia

Hi Nick,
thanks for your comment and well, there were blue tits around, that's for sure.

If you are talking about the typical blue tit's song, this "diii diiii di di dududududududu" (you know what I mean?), then I know that this is not what I heard at that point (but very often today otherwise).

By now I went through many different blue tit calls/songs and there was nothing that sounded like what I heard today... ???

But anyway - I already learnt a lot today! By now I am leaning towards the treecreeper's song as source of confusion. Although I once believed I could tell them apart. :h?:

/Claudia

Willow Tit has a descending song that can catch you out if you haven't heard it before. But it's much less soft than a Treecreeper I think. I don't know either whether it's too early in the year.

Cheers.

Hello hello,

I think we solved the problem - it seems like it must have been a treecreeper. Apparently there is one around there that sounds much like a willow warbler.

Well - you never stop learning... :)

Cheers
Claudia

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back