• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions about the Swaro doubler (1 Viewer)

DCC74

Grabbed a new SLC 15x56, mainly for stargazing and such, but of course viewing animals as well. I expect great things from all I’ve read and having owned other Swarovski products.

So the doubler: anyone use it for peeping planets and such? You like the view? Is it a universal fit on EL, SLC and their various iterations? It seems hard to find info, as it appears to be discontinued.

Thanks.

Grabbed a new SLC 15x56, mainly for stargazing and such, but of course viewing animals as well. I expect great things from all I’ve read and having owned other Swarovski products.

So the doubler: anyone use it for peeping planets and such? You like the view? Is it a universal fit on EL, SLC and their various iterations? It seems hard to find info, as it appears to be discontinued.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it is discontinued. At least I haven't seen it listed as an accessory. Maybe Swaro has an adapter that will fit your 15x56? It would make a useful 30x56 hand held telescope. (Make that two hands held telescope ;) ).

I have the Swarovski "Doubler." It is called a "Booster" on the box. It came with adapters for a 10x42 SLC and the EL 32mm binoculars. It screws directly onto my 7x42 SLC B without the need of an adapter after removing the eye piece.

It makes the 7x42 a pretty good 14x42 with a 3mm exit pupil which I have used like a telescope on birds and the moon. The FOV is correspondingly smaller. It would be nice if I had a 10x42 to go with it.

Bob

Last edited:
Any idea if they will make a new doubler for the SLC series, like Meopta has for their B1.

Andy W.

They have a bunch of accessories, mostly for clothing and cell phones. There is also a knife and a wrist watch but there are no optical boosters for binoculars. There is a 1.7X for the scopes which is only available in Europe.

I have no idea if they will make new ones.

Bob

Thanks Bob, It would have been nice to double the mag of 15X56 SLC, more out of curiosity, but the views of the sky at night are awesome as is. This is truly an extremely great instrument, for viewing both day and night.

Andy W.

You can still buy them on the ebay.....
They can be made to fit the SV model....Not to sure about the SLC though.....I had a booster last year....But sold it through lack of use....

If you do manage to make it fit your find there will be quite of bit of chromatic aberation though .....And there really tricky to hold and balance even on a tripod ....Plus a really narrow fov....

Cheers
Tim

Any idea if they will make a new doubler for the SLC series, like Meopta has for their B1.

Andy W.

There are several other boosters on the market (Zeiss, Opticron, Vortex) which have the advantage of being press-fits either into or around the binocular eyecup. They have adapters of different diameters, but I've found DIY ways to fit my Zeiss and Bushnell boosters to most binoculars and spotting scopes, something that can't be done with the screw-on Swarovski booster.

The limiting factor for resolution and image quality with any decent phase corrected booster will be the optics of the binocular. Optically speaking, the booster has an easy job as a 2-3x monocular with its entrance pupil restricted by the binocular's exit pupil. It's the binoculars that are challenged in these combinations, since they are being pushed toward their limits with their full aperture aberrations fully exposed.

Henry

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, It would have been nice to double the mag of 15X56 SLC, more out of curiosity, but the views of the sky at night are awesome as is. This is truly an extremely great instrument, for viewing both day and night.

Andy W.

Thanks for the firsthand input. May not even "need" the doubler, especially if it actually degrades the quality of the view, in spite of a bit of a magnification boost.

I recall being able to see the moons of Jupiter with my new 10x50 SLC I had back in about 2001, so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this bino. Should be even better.

Booster

There are several other boosters on the market (Zeiss, Opticron, Vortex) which have the advantage of being press-fits either into or around the binocular eyecup. They have adapters of different diameters, but I've found DIY ways to fit my Zeiss and Bushnell boosters to most binoculars and spotting scopes, something that can't be done with the screw-on Swarovski booster.

The limiting factor for resolution and image quality with any decent phase corrected booster will be the optics of the binocular. Optically speaking, the booster has an easy job as a 2-3x monocular with its entrance pupil restricted by the binocular's exit pupil. It's the binoculars that are challenged in these combinations, since they are being pushed toward their limits with their full aperture aberrations fully exposed.

Henry

Henry,

Thanks for the reality check, looks like I will have to DIY also, in my case I wanted to use the booster to check the optics on a binocular in this case the SLC 15X56, but I also wanted to check an FL 10X56, perhaps I can find one for the Zeiss and find a way to adapt it on to the SLC, I can get an extra eyecup for the SLC and perform surgery on that.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back