• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper 6x32 or Vortex Viper HD 6x32 ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Hi Everyone, just wondering if there was really any better optical veiw thru the new HD models. The spec's seem to be the same. Has anyone out there compared the two ? .. Thanks gwen

Hi Everyone, just wondering if there was really any better optical veiw thru the new HD models. The spec's seem to be the same. Has anyone out there compared the two ? .. Thanks gwen

I have seen Viper and Viper HD 8x42 and 10x42 side by side, not the 6x. With that in mind, what I have seen says the HD is somewhat brighter and has sharper edges, hence a little wider sweet spot. I would say the HD is better, but not significantly so. There, that may be worth just what you paid for it ;).

Last edited:
My 6x32 Vortex HD Viper From Eagle Optics

I have seen Viper and Viper HD 8x42 and 10x42 side by side, not the 6x. With that in mind, what I have seen says the HD is somewhat brighter and has sharper edges, hence a little wider sweet spot. I would say the HD is better, but not significantly so. There, that may be worth just what you paid for it ;).

Hi Steve ... After I read your reply about the Vortex Vipers HD's, I debated whether I should again purchase this great 6x binocular , so after getting some great discount offers from Binoculars.com, I decided to give the people at Eagle Optics a call before I decided where my money would go. I have purchased items from both places with great customer service & prices but perfer always to give the sale to the smaller family operation. Eagle optics came back with a lower price. Now back to the Viper 6x32 HD ..... to my eyes they are a slight brighter with the edges just as sharp. I also found the colors to be better(richer,bolder) maybe this is because of the HD factor. The binoculars are a wee bit heavier giving them even more of a robust , quality feel. Many people felt that the original 6x32's were the best 6x32 bino's available with me included. Now I also say the same about the slightly improved HD version still labled made in Japan. For those who have posted the excuse that they were too costly compared to the less exspensive leupold's to justify the purchase, there is no reason now with many retailers online closing that gap with their great discounts. Give Eagle Optics a call, Iam sure they will quote you a price you can't say no to. I don't work for Eagle optics but Iam a satisfied returning customer ...... gwen

Gwen,

Nice post. I'd sure like to get my hands on a 6x32, but dealers here won't stock them because they are deemed to be too little magnification to sell. They are probably right, but lots of people miss out on a really nice magnification class. The Viper is on my list of want to have for a while at least. I really like the 8x32 HD.

Review

What about field flatness and edge softness in these 6x32 ?

mmx_4, see my review under the Other binocular subforum.

It could be that I got a bad sample. I only had a sample size of 1 (well actually 2 if you count both barrels). Or it could just be me... Maybe my eyesight is odd. I don't wear glasses though, and I do usually agree with the consensus view.

Vs.

To answer your original question, Vortex Viper 6x32 or Vortex Viper HD 6x32, I suggest the Bushnell 8x36 Legend Ultra HD. They are about an ounce heavier than the Vortex, but
* more compact
* higher magnification
* wider field of view
* much, much better optically (at least based on a sample size of 1 for the Bushnell and the non-HD Viper)
* much cheaper

Bushnell really has a winner. At least the one I just got is.

My "reference" binocular is a Zeiss Victory FL 10x32. Unfortunately I don't have 6x and 8x alphas, which would make comparisons easier.

To answer your original question, Vortex Viper 6x32 or Vortex Viper HD 6x32, I suggest the Bushnell 8x36 Legend Ultra HD. They are about an ounce heavier than the Vortex, but
* more compact
* higher magnification
* wider field of view
* much, much better optically (at least based on a sample size of 1 for the Bushnell and the non-HD Viper)
* much cheaper

Bushnell really has a winner. At least the one I just got is.

My "reference" binocular is a Zeiss Victory FL 10x32. Unfortunately I don't have 6x and 8x alphas, which would make comparisons easier.

Iam sure the Legends are a great 8x binocular but it is not a 6x . The reason one would buy the Viper 6x32 is because of the " 6x " , its like comparing a apple to a melon. That is why I purchased the 6x32 viper & not another 8x bino. .... gwen

Field of view

Iam sure the Legends are a great 8x binocular but it is not a 6x . The reason one would buy the Viper 6x32 is because of the " 6x " , its like comparing a apple to a melon. That is why I purchased the 6x32 viper & not another 8x bino. .... gwen

Isn't the main reason for buying lower power binoculars that they have a wider field of view? In this case the 8x Bushnells have a wider field of view than the 6x Vipers.

Isn't the main reason for buying lower power binoculars that they have a wider field of view? In this case the 8x Bushnells have a wider field of view than the 6x Vipers.

The main reasons for a 6x over an 8x are for the much increased depth of field, and the easier more relaxed view with less hand shake.

The 8x36 Bushnell legend HD are pretty much the same size, FOV and weight as the 6x32 Vipers. Both have about the same amount of field curvature and edge softness, but in the pair of 6x32 Vipers I compared last December, I felt they fell a little short on contrast looking into deep shade.

Tom

The main reasons for a 6x over an 8x are for the much increased depth of field, and the easier more relaxed view with less hand shake.

The 8x36 Bushnell legend HD are pretty much the same size, FOV and weight as the 6x32 Vipers. Both have about the same amount of field curvature and edge softness, but in the pair of 6x32 Vipers I compared last December, I felt they fell a little short on contrast looking into deep shade.

Tom

Hi Tom ... I could not have said it any better but some people think a 6x will bring the same kind of view to their eyes as a 8x . The 6x bino at longer distance veiwing, depending on the objects size & what you are looking at might not seem as sharp or crisp with the color looking a bit soft. Where the 6x shines is at moderate to close viewing, low light. Combined with its depth of field & less hand shake makes a 6x32 binocular very nice to use. Until the market produces a better Alpha 6x roof prism binocular my 60 plus year old eyes think the 6x HD Vipers are as good as it gets in a 6x binocular .......... gwen

Last edited:
Gwen,

Your description matches my feelings as well although in my case my ZOMZ 6x30 porros and Minox 6.5x32 IFs fill that slot for now :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back