• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Usa (ca/az) (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
1,2 - Joshua Tree
3 - Salton See: Long or Short billed?
4,5 - Imperial NWR, Yuma

End of March 2019

Attachments

• 1-mMG_2470.JPG
    1-mMG_2470.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 1-aMG_9476.JPG
    1-aMG_9476.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 1-bMG_0520.jpg
    1-bMG_0520.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 1-bMG_0797.JPG
    1-bMG_0797.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 1-bMG_0855.JPG
    1-bMG_0855.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
4. If that pinkish / peach flush is on the flanks I presume it must be a Say's Phoebe.

Thanks! I am somehow so used to Iding Says's Phoebes immediately when seen from any other angle (it's one of the birds we saw a lot) that it did not come to my mind that a "troubled" bird could also be one.

I think #2 is an Ash-throated.

On the dowitchers, I'm seeing a bright white patch where the fore-wing joins the body. That is a long-billed feature (short-billed would be barred). But the picture quality isn't the greatest, so I might be wrong.

And I agree with Microtus that #4 is a Myiarchus, but at that angle, I don't see enough to go further than that.

On the dowitchers, I'm seeing a bright white patch where the fore-wing joins the body. That is a long-billed feature (short-billed would be barred). But the picture quality isn't the greatest, so I might be wrong.

There were no SBDO reported to eBird in March at Salton Sea. A few reported in April, but none with pictures. I think that this combined with what looks like a white under-wing patch in the pictures, I would feel confident in calling them Long-Billed Dowitchers.

#2 being a Myiarchus is quite the surprise - but when I looked at other shots of the same bird and brightened them a bid, it suddenly doesn't look so weird

Attachments

• 1-aMG_9469.JPG
    1-aMG_9469.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 27
Sorry, Jan, I seem to have misled myself and you - I guess the colour I saw is not on the flanks so ignore my input and go with the locals.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back