• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 and 8x32 Roof prisms (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
Not that I am in any hurry, but I got interested in this format. Mainly as it has a good field of view. I am still basically a 10x guy, but use 8x part of the time.

So, just briefly, what are the models you have seen and how do they rate? Nikon Monarch optics (when you get a good unit out of a box, that is) would be fine for me, but not worse. I like the idea of a light and compact model with wide FOV, and the Monarch 8x36 is just too similar to my other 8x and 10x models for weight and other specs.

By the way, it will be up to a year before I buy any new major optics. Earliest in December. May have to pay lots of stuff before that. I have teenagers.

Assuming under $600....

Carson XM 8x32
Bushnell Legend 8x32s
Pentax DCF-SP 8x32s
Refurbished Nikon Premier LX 8x32s

Katmais, Conquests, Monarchs, Pentax XP and HS all have too narrow of a field of view for your requirements. I have no familiarity with Minox, Docter, etc....

FrankD said:
Refurbished Nikon Premier LX 8x32s

Add Zeiss ClassicC T*P* 8x30, still available for $600. Nikons are also great. But i have the "get it done once and for all" philosophy: i suggest that you get an alpha dog like the Leica BN 8x32, Leica Ultravid 8x32, Swarovski EL 8x32 or SLC 8x32, or the Zeiss FL 8x32. With one of those, everything alse is redundant.

Sure, I may get one of those one day, but not at 8x. My big purchase, maybe in 10 years, will be most likely 10x, unless they decide to make my dream 9x before that. ;)

The 8x roofs will be to replace my 8x porros sometime, for routine use in woods etc. I am happy with 8x40 porros except for the weight. At home they are OK, but 30 oz is a lot, over 800g, and I usually travel with some other pairs. I have some reverse porros that weigh very little.

Last edited:
If $600 isn't the spending limit then you may consider the Kahles, Golden Rings, etc.... I am not sure if Bushnell makes the Elites in 8x32 but if they did then I would consider them. Heck, come to think of it the 8x42 Elites are pretty small for their configuration. Just a thought.

All are good candidates so far.

Mainly I need these for an all around bin, such as for Warblers in the woods, by next spring. My small reverse porros just have too small FOV, though I managed a few warblers when I stopped at parks on the drive home after or before work. I will carry these for a month or two in my briefcase every work day at that time. Compactness is good. So I am looking for brightness, as much as you can get with 30mm and FOV about 400 ft plus fairly good optics. I am not going to look for things a mile away with these.

Last edited:
Tero,

I have a good feeling for what you are looking for and, personally, I think the Pentax DCF-SP 8x32s would be the best choice in terms of quality versus price...assuming the handling suits you. I have seen them online a few places in the $350-$400 range and their optics are excellent. I am even kicking around the idea of returning the Monarch 8x36s and ordering a pair of these.

Tero said:
All are good candidates so far.
I will carry these for a month or two in my briefcase every work day at that time. Compactness is good. So I am looking for brightness, as much as you can get with 30mm and FOV about 400 ft plus fairly good optics. I am not going to look for things a mile away with these.

Heck, If that's the case why don't you get a Leupold 6 x 30 Yosemite? It meets all your requirements above and will only set you back 99 bucks (and that includes shipping!) from Eagle Optics.

Good Birding,
Bob

6! *fainting*

OK, I will look at some 6x and 7x models next time I am in a store. It is difficult for us 10x guys to get that far down all at once. Birds are often small, and we find it entertaining for the bird to fill up a good size of your viewing area. Mostly you see a lot of that green stuff in the back.

I like the looks of the little 6x30. Here is a 7x porro
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=4037
that seems to be out of stock, however. But it does expand my choices, to include 7x35 as well. However, compactness and weight are criteria that weigh in heavily in my choice. Otherwise the Nikon Action 7x35 would do.

Last edited:
Well, there is still the Bushnell 7 x 26 Custom reverse porro at about 230 bucks. Excellent optics, small but not quite compact, but will fit easily in a jacket pocket or bellows shirt pocket. Good wide field (363') for a reverse porro. It might not be as bright as you like but I like mine alot for just strolling in the woods from 8 to 5pm or carrying in the car.
Bob

Well, I admit I have kind of micromanaged all my binocular needs. I have a reverse porro of 8x25 that has about that FOV*, I use it on business trips to walk city parks, such as in Seattle. Even found a wildlife area by a university campus. I am looking for a compact just a little better, especially FOV. Several 8x30 roof prisms seem to fit the bill. [Added, after Doug: Minox BD 8x32 has 400ft FOV, 7.6 degrees.]

*Maybe about 340ft, similar to
http://www.opticsale.com/bushnell-p...del-8x25-139825-porro-compact-binoculars.html
I also have cheap roof prisms, 8x25 that weigh nothing and have FOV 345ft. But they have the "little bin" feel. I like my bigger roof prisms, just need a smaller version of it. As my Monarchs are 10x, I do not need another 10x, thus the need for 8x30.

Last edited:
FrankD said:
Heck, come to think of it the 8x42 Elites are pretty small for their configuration.

Yes, and they are light, handy, well built, comfortable, and have a very good image. They feel like a 8x32 in the hand. Field of view is a bit small (370 feet) but it's ok.

ceasar said:
Heck, If that's the case why don't you get a Leupold 6 x 30 Yosemite? It meets all your requirements above and will only set you back 99 bucks (and that includes shipping!) from Eagle Optics.

Good Birding,
Bob

I received one of the 6x30 two days ago: well built, bird worthy, excellent resolution contrast, brightness, color true. It is one amazing binocular, the first one from Leupold that does not make me feel like i paid too much.
Great optics, good design.
One comment: i am a wide angle addict, and the Yosemite has a 6 x 8 = 48* apparent field of view. Not enough.
The eyerelief is long. The eyecups are a bit wobbly, but they work well.
If they come up with a 8x30 Yosemite with a 8* eyepiece and 64* AFOV, i will buy a truckload of them.

FrankD said:
Tero,

I have a good feeling for what you are looking for and, personally, I think the Pentax DCF-SP 8x32s would be the best choice in terms of quality versus price...assuming the handling suits you. I have seen them online a few places in the $350-$400 range and their optics are excellent. I am even kicking around the idea of returning the Monarch 8x36s and ordering a pair of these.

You might want to also consider the Minox BD 8x32 BR ASPH #62122

Luca said:
One comment: i am a wide angle addict, and the Yosemite has a 6 x 8 = 48* apparent field of view. Not enough.[/QUOTE

Hi Luca,
My 6 x 30 Yosemite's claim an 8 degree FOV on the Ocular side of the focus wheel. That should work out to 420' @ 1000 yards. Only my Swift Audubons and my Nikon 8 x 30 EII's have a bigger FOV. You may be interested in the report I wrote on them on 5/25/06. It's in the Leupold forum.

Cordially,
Bob

ceasar said:
Luca said:
One comment: i am a wide angle addict, and the Yosemite has a 6 x 8 = 48* apparent field of view. Not enough.[/QUOTE

Hi Luca,
My 6 x 30 Yosemite's claim an 8 degree FOV on the Ocular side of the focus wheel. That should work out to 420' @ 1000 yards. Only my Swift Audubons and my Nikon 8 x 30 EII's have a bigger FOV. You may be interested in the report I wrote on them on 5/25/06. It's in the Leupold forum.

Cordially,
Bob

Yes, 6x magnification multiplied by 8* gives an apparent field of view of 48 degrees...that means that i get too much of that tunnel vision.
An 8x30 Yosemite with an 8* eyepiece would be awesome, at 64* AFOV.
The Yosemites have 420 ft field of view, so do my EL 8x32. But in the EL the edge of the field is far out and it does not bother me.
It's just preference i guess, but i appreciate the 'nocs' that make me feel like i actually don't use any 'nocs' -

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back