• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 and 8x32 Roof prisms (1 Viewer)

I have a thread on the RedHead Epic I finally got to fill this gap in binoculars. They became my in car binoculars, I have them at all times, they cost some $140. They have as good optics as the Nikon Sporters, and do in fact have phase coating.

Now I am quite used to 8x in the woods and most casual birding. Either these or Nikon porros. I may be saving up to get a better 8x30 or so in a few years, but as these are good for most purposes, no rush.

Meanwhile, I am keeping an eye on any 8.5x compacts as well. Have only located a Vortex with no phase coating so far. I hope more mid price 8x or 8.5x roofs come out. My dream of course is 9x32. 10x32s I do not want, I will stick to 10x42 with 10x.

The Pentax Paillo 8.5x is also in here somewhere, but FOV is just over 300ft, I have 367ft with my 8x32. I want an 8.5x with FOV some 350 or better.

Last edited:
I finally got to see Eagle Optics Ranger, 8x32. Very nice glass. I would suspect that the 10x42 Ranger is also a very nice bin, but I already have a 10x43.

They could expand the line, like maybe my dream 9x32. ;) I would pay $300/400 for it.

The Ranger is definitely slightly better than my RedHead, which is not bad either, for half the price. I have yet to see Bushnell Legends to compare.

The small Vortexes at 8x and 8.5X I am not too terribly interested in anymore, same quality as my RedHead.

Last edited:
Tero said:
I finally got to see Eagle Optics Ranger, 8x32. Very nice glass. I would suspect that the 10x42 Ranger is also a very nice bin, but I already have a 10x43.

They could expand the line, like maybe my dream 9x32. ;) I would pay $300/400 for it.

The Ranger is definitely slightly better than my RedHead, which is not bad either, for half the price. I have yet to see Bushnell Legends to compare.

The small Vortexes at 8x and 8.5X I am not too terribly interested in anymore, same quality as my RedHead.

Tero, check out the Eagle Optics website, under hot deals right now. Some Rangers are under $200.00 clearance while supplies last! (The old Platinum Rangers, not the new SRT's.)

I recently purchased the Pentax DCF-SP 8x32s and I am supremely happy with them. I got them from Adorama for $349.95, a truly amazing deal compared to Eagle Optics, etc. Not only are they incredibly bright with a wide FOV, but they handle great with extremely quick focus and great close focus. You said you wanted these binocs for warblers -- well these Pentax 8x32's are truly made-for-warblers glass. Good luck.

If you are sure of which models to get, then Googling for prices helps. But if it is a less known model, Eagle Optics return policy helps. I have seen many of the Pentaxes. For a while I was looking at their 10x25, but then decided I did not need it that badly. I will check the Pentax 10x models once more, the 10x30 range. For warblers I use an Action EX 8x40 most times, but they are on the heavy side.

If I found my ideal 8x40, I could maybe find a useable 10x25 for extra fire power. The 10x25 is not my preferred 10x if I am looking for ducks etc. But it would be a nice crutch (back up bin) for us 10x guys going out birding.

With the Spitfire, I would stay with the 8.5x or better yet 8x. My thisnking has changed and I am not a fan of 8.5x models anymore. The Vortex small end are pretty average in optics, otherwise fairly rugged. I don't know why they don't make them all phase coated. I kind of like this one, but have only seen the Spitfires
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4653
The 8x28 is a nice size, just big enough over 8x25 to give more light and feel less like a toy.

Last edited:
Eagle Optics Platinum Class 8x32 is on sale for $189. I spent my money on silly little things. Oh well. I did get the 9x25 I wanted, though.

Eagle Optics Platinum Class 8x32 is on sale for $189. I spent my money on silly little things. Oh well. I did get the 9x25 I wanted, though.

Great, and I just ordered the 6x32. Hmmm, no, but, well....

...arrrggghhhh!

I actually ended up sithe the SRT 8x32.

In going through specs, there seem to be several mid price models that get 390ft fov, whereas the more expensive models get 408ft. At my present level of interest in 8x, the mid price was enough. I use the 8x in routine birding. They are good enough in that I am not bothered by any features and can concentrate on the birds. When I look for gulls, ducks, birds of the open fields, I use a 10x42.

The ones I have rejected, based on their 10x version, are Bushnell Excursion 8x28 and Vortex Spitfire non phase coated 8x models and 8.5x. I had too much trouble focusing etc. The only non phase coated model I was interested in was Brunton Echo 8x32. But I somehow assumed the Eagle Optics 8x32 was slightly better. I never had the two side by side to look at.

The Vortex Fury was in the running, but I got tired of sending rejected models back. A binocular in hand is worth two in the on line store...

Last edited:
I now have three 8x32s. Two are cheaper brands, the Winchester is actually OK, but a bit dimmer. Though the sweet spot in the EagleOptics SRT 8x32 is smaller than most of my roofs, it is actually quite sharp in the middle 50% of the area. After some 6 months, I am quite used to its faults, and it is now my favorite 8x.

The second in quality is a Bass ProShop brand, sells for under 150 and is phase coated. Drawback is the RedHead logo, a duck hunter angle to things. I actually do not mind Winchester as much.

Here is the Winchester, but do not pay more than 100 dollars. Good for spouses and kids who you want to convert into birders.
http://www.iorvaldada.com/wi8xbaroprbi1.html

I am not recommending any other Winchester models, but this price 8x32s in other brands are mostly just junk. These only lack phase coating. Pretty rugged feel.

Last edited:
Tested the Winchester and the EO 8x32. The Eagle Optics is much much brighter in woods, and just slighty sharper in the middle.The Winchester has a flatter field. But I think in winter I will not use them much. They do stay with me in the car, heat and cold.

Had a chance to look at 8x32(33)s for under 400 dollars. The winner is...Pentax DCF XP 8x33. Very close was Bushnell Legend 8x32. Both wider sweet spot than my EO 8x32.

Leupold Katmai
Legend
Pentax
Eagle Optics Ranger

all 8x32, Pentax 8x33
it was only an opinion
but the Pentax view was lovely..if I had the money in my pocket and owned no 8x32s, I would have gotten the Pentax

I can see where if you lopped off the fuzzy outer part the sweet spot would look larger in relation to the whole.

Good thing I did not have the cash on me, the fov is a bit small, should be about 400ft. I guess my dream of under 500 is not possible. I would maybe settle for the Legend if I had to buy one now.

Yes, the Pentax, Legend and Eagle Optics were all sharp in the middle, the EO having the smallest relative sweet spot. Coming close to Legend was Monarch 8x36, hardly bigger in overall size.

I was actualy out there lookin for an 8x42 with wide fov, but saw only one that day, Excursion 8x42. It was pretty good for optics. Workmanship may be a bit cheap.

Last edited:
Tero,

I am glad someone else finally found the DCF-XP to be favorable. I owned that beautiful little glass for a time. I would have to say that it is probably the most compact of the under $500 8x30-somethings. If you had said this a year ago I would have sold them to you for the $200 that I sold them to my buddy for. Beautiful little glass. The small field of view is really the only thing not to like about them. Ofcourse, less contrast than the high end stuff but for $300-$400 they are a definite bargain.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back