• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID, Idaho (1 Viewer)

Gary Clark

I have a very hard time with hawks. Almost every large buteo we see is a Red-Tailed, but they have so many color variations that I'm baffled when I see something that I *think* might be another species. Such is the case with this large hawk I found on top of a power pole in southern Idaho (farming country, previously sagebrush plains, around 2500' elevation).

Help would be appreciated; I've been working on him for months, and still aren't sure of the ID.

(Click on the thumbnails for larger versions.)

Attachments

• Hawk_ID_1.jpg
    Hawk_ID_1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Hawk_ID_2.jpg
    Hawk_ID_2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 114
I think it is a Swainson's Adult Intermediate Dark Morph. See Plate 261 in Wheeler's Raptors of Eastern North America (I know location is different but I'd bet the western version of the book has a similar photograph.) Note white undertail coverts and the glimpse of the underwing pattern and the long wings in relation to the tail length.
cordially,
Bob

I see quite a Swainson's around North Texas, & although this bird is darker than the ones around here, it does seem to have the same basic pattern. Given the long wings... I'd say Swainson's.

Thanks! I went back to the books, and came away convinced that Swainson's is the best fit. I'll post a large version of the first photo to the Gallery tomorrow.

During my birding time in Idaho, I've had about a 60-40 Red-tail to Swainson's distribution.

I have a friend in St. Anthony, ID, and once she learned the field marks of the Swainson's, she started seeing them all over the place! One of the first birds I showed her was a dark morph - beautiful bird, indeed.

Steve in Houston

Actually, according to hawkcount.org, Hawk Mountain had one in August. We also had a possible on Bake Oven Knob in September.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back