• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leicestershire and Rutland Birding/Local Patches (1 Viewer)

Just passing through

A couple of bird images I took yesterday when I visited the Caterham pond at Earl Shilton, Leicester. Nothing rare unfortunately but good light. Mallard ducklings in various stages of development are always nice to watch. Whilst there I saw a Crow attempt to pick off the last one in a line. I thought he had it but Mum Mallard thought different, flew up and attacked him and he dropped the Duckling which didn't appear injured.

14342303756_fc5ee3b1b7_b.jpg 14179027717_68f378f5a7_b.jpg 14362415071_74cd378ebc_b.jpg

Glossy Ibis still at North Watermead Country park (wanlip scrape area) from Plover hide seen around mid-morning then flew to the shelter of the reed bed to the right of the hide about half way to the back of the pool.
Seen again early afternoon in and out of the reeds at the far point of the pool was still present when I left at about 2pm

Also Great white egret flew up from a small pool just before South Wigston rail station I think the train must have spooked it.

Super visit to Rutland Water yesterday, although my legs can feel it now.

Still three Osprey's present, although I do not think after this weather they will hang around for long.

Other highlights included , Dunlin, Ruff, and Whimbrel.

Highlight of the day was the spotted Crake from the wadercrape hide, arrived at 5pm, to be told it had disappeared 5 minutes before, after 40 minutes it reappeared and "paraded" itself up and down in front of the hide.

Very Very lucky sighting

What a day misty to start the sunny to finish here are my sightings list for the All-dayer for the following area's of Rutland water - Egleton reserve, Lyndon Reserve and the Dam area including Normanton waterside walk path towards the dam

1/ Great tit 2/ Dunnock 3/ Bullfinch 4/ Jackdaw 5/ Song thrush 6/ Carrion crow 7/ Blackcap 8/ Robin 9/ Collared dove 10/ Blackbird 11/ Stock dove 12/ Mistle thrush 13/ Blue tit 14/ Chiffchaff 15/ Starling 16/ Pheasant 17/ Magpie 18/ Chaffinch 19/ Goldfinch 20/ Wren 21/ House sparrow 22/ Wood pigeon 23/ Green woodpecker 24/ Kestrel 25/ Whitethroat 26/ Teal 27/ Grey heron 28/ Widgeon 29/ Greenshank 30/ Shoveler 31/ Lapwing 32/ Green sandpiper 33/ Common tern 34/ Common snipe 35/ Mallard 36/ Reed warbler 37/ Gadwall 38/ Moorhen 39/ Water rail 40/ Cetti’s warbler 41/ Black headed gull 42/ Stock dove 43/ Common sandpiper 44/ Great crested grebe 45/ Dunlin 46/ Little egret 47/ Lesser black backed gull 48/ Mute swan 49/ Sparrowhawk 50/ Great black backed gull 51/ Egyptian goose 52/ Greylag goose 53/ Canada goose 54/ Herring gull 55/ Cormorant 56/ Pintail 57/ Tufted duck 58/ Little grebe 59/ Ruff 60/ Wood sandpiper 61/ Kingfisher 62/ Redshank 63/ Greenfinch 64/ Tree sparrow 65/ Treecreeper 66/ Spotted flycatcher 67/ Pied wagtail 68/ Osprey 69/ Pochard 70/ Grey wagtail 71/ Rook 72/ Red legged partridge 73/ Great spotted woodpecker 74/ Jay 75/ Long tailed tit 76/ Nuthatch 77/ Coal tit 78/ Buzzard 79/ Swallow 80/ Sand martin 81/ Yellow wagtail 82/ Willow tit 83/ Yellowhammer 84/ Little owl 85/ Red necked grebe 86/ Meadow pipit 87/ Raven 88/ Redstart 83/ Linnet 90/ Red kite 91 Skylark

if I have copied any of the species please let me know I will be updating my blog with a full review and complete list of where I saw the species hope you enjoy

I have forwarded sightings to the LROS page for latest sightings

I was wondering if anyone had any information on when the Leicestershire & Rutland latest sightings page will be up and running again as the updates are a little behind did read a message on the twitter part of the page saying that the person who updates the page will be without an internet connection for a while but just wondering if there was a date for the return to normal updating

http://www.lros.org.uk/News.htm

Unfortunately not Steve but there were other witnesses in the hides some with camera's so they may turn up on here or maybe flickr, I think the weather had something to do with the birds showing well as it was very wet and hardly any movement around the reserve.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back