• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (1 Viewer)

Wood warbler singing and showing well in Knowles Coppice this morning also 2 spotted flycatchers further down the railway track foraging just below the canopy. Cuckoo heard calling numerous times as he made his way around the woods. Lots of other birds seen including garden warbler, willow warbler, chiffchaff, bullfinch, jay & swifts

Nice morning out in Wyre Forest today. Pied flycatcher, a pair of Redstart, Wood Warbler, 2 Dippers, Kingfisher and what I thought were Willow Tit(dull black heads) but is that right for the Forest, or is it only Marsh?

Last edited:
Nice morning out in Wyre Forest today. Pied flycatcher, a pair of Redstart, Wood Warbler, 2 Dippers, Kingfisher and what I thought were Willow Tit(dull black heads) but is that right for the Forest, or is it only Marsh?

I'm in the Wire Forest regularly and i've never seen a Willow Tit, but I've
seen plenty of Marsh Tits. The best person to enquire of would be the county recorders.

Almost certainly Marsh Tit. Did you hear them call, that would clinch it.

An excellent morning along Dowles Brook today; several wood warblers singing just off the railway track, pair of redstarts with the hen nesting in a hole in a tree down by the mill. Dipper, kingfisher & grey wagtail down in the brook, several pied flycatchers with a pair nesting in a box, spotted flycatcher up in the canopy, cuckoo calling as it passed through, hen siskin & cock bullfinch showing well & lots of other warblers & tits

An enjoyable day was had at Dowles Brook today. Lots of singing Blackcaps along the brook, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher and Dipper also seen together with 4 pairs of Mandarin. Fascinating to watch the posturing between 2 pairs of Mandarin with the males making themselves look bigger by puffing out their neck and tail feathers! One of many highlights today was listening to the song of a Male Pied Flycatcher as he flitted between branches, only one was seen today so hopefully a few more will return soon!

Hello, does anyone have up to date info on where best to look for Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler this year? Hoping to visit early Saturday and start from the Dry Mill Car Park. Thanks

Hello, does anyone have up to date info on where best to look for Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler this year? Hoping to visit early Saturday and start from the Dry Mill Car Park. Thanks
Hi
The most frequented area for Pied Flycatchers is to follow the old "railway" track to just before the 2nd bridge and before the turning to to the Farm, there is a track to your right, take this path down for about 200yds and they are to be found in this area (sometimes also Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers & Redstarts) Wood Warblers can be seen almost anywhere along the track, but continue under the 2nd bridge to a Worcs Sign board and they are seen in the Oak trees on your right. Continue further to a cross path and both can be seen here. Other notable birds that can be seen are Tree Pipits (Sit on the old carved bench and listen and watch!) If your interested in Butterflies both spec of Pearl Bordered Frittilaries can be seen anywhere along the track.
Hope this is useful, good birding
Richard

Thanks for your help. We connected with Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler. Also saw a pair of Redstart, Garden Warbler, Chiffchaff and heard Tree Pipit. Surprisingly Wood Warblers were not singing.

Sunday; 2 adult Dippers along one stretch, no sign of any young. Then a juvenile Dipper further along, I guess old enough now to be on it's own. Didnt see the parents. Heard a Kingfisher calling near possible nest bank.

Wyre Forest, Dowles Brook this week in the rain, 2 Dippers together, 1 loud singing & then both zipping up the brook.
2 more Dippers together zipping further along & a Kingfisher.

Hi
The most frequented area for Pied Flycatchers is to follow the old "railway" track to just before the 2nd bridge and before the turning to to the Farm, there is a track to your right, take this path down for about 200yds and they are to be found in this area (sometimes also Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers & Redstarts) Wood Warblers can be seen almost anywhere along the track, but continue under the 2nd bridge to a Worcs Sign board and they are seen in the Oak trees on your right. Continue further to a cross path and both can be seen here. Other notable birds that can be seen are Tree Pipits (Sit on the old carved bench and listen and watch!) If your interested in Butterflies both spec of Pearl Bordered Frittilaries can be seen anywhere along the track.
Hope this is useful, good birding
Richard
I'm thinking of visiting next weekend. Are there any maps that show the best locations to see Pied Flycatchers, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back