• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (4 Viewers)

Just as I focused on a Hobby on the dead trees in the main pool at Clay Lane a Cuckoo joined it and he flew off. Picture of Cuckoo on Today's gallery.

First report for a while ,Sling , 2 Egyptian Geese , Bar-Headed Goose a first for me , single Yellow Wagtail. [/B]
Camp lane , a Male Garganey was asleep on the West shore . 50 species seen photos to follow.

Red Kite above A443 at Holt Heath.

I used to commute to London (2000 - 2008) daily on the M40 and saw their progress northwards from High Wycombe near the M25 to Stokenchurch then Oxfordshire.

This is my first sighting in Worcestershire - I know there have been quite a few sightings from others.

Little Egret brings my Grimley total to 100. Young of swan, moorhen Coot, Mallard , Little Grebe and Lapwing all doing well.
Marsh Frogs very vocal and seem much easier to spot this year sitting on the floating vegetation .

Little Egret brings my Grimley total to 100. Young of swan, moorhen Coot, Mallard , Little Grebe and Lapwing all doing well.
Marsh Frogs very vocal and seem much easier to spot this year sitting on the floating vegetation .

Hi Isaac

Like you.....Little Egret (from Sling ) and Mute Swan with young from this morning ......pics on user gallery.

Didn't see it but Stint spotted over the last few days on CLP also.

A very pleasant 2.5 hour mooch around the pits yesterday from 11-1330. Only 2 cars parked at the junction and a couple of other birders seen during the whole time - no doubt due to the fact that nothing had been reported recently..... The 'bake off' temperatures were moderated by a pleasant and gentle breeze.

Still plenty of Reed Warblers singing but notably less of other species and no Lesser Whitethroat heard. A pair of noisy Common Terns on the Hippo pool could hint at potential breeding on one of the islands. Likewise a pair of Oystercatchers. An adult Little Egret dropped in to feed - where do all these roosting Winter birds go? A pair of alert calling Redshank further around indicated that they had bred and were calling to precocious young in the long grass to remain still until we passed on the track. A good grilling of the shoreline at all pits did not yield a diminutive wader. A minimum of 2 male Cuckoos were heard and the Cetti's Warbler was still singing adjacent to the White Hart fishing pool and that was about it. Another visit is slated for Monday but maybe Bartley and Bittell beckon - we shall see...

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Attached: Tern, Gadwall and Hippo.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2689 May. 30 05.28.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2689 May. 30 05.28.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 37
  • ScreenHunter_2690 May. 30 05.29.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2690 May. 30 05.29.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 43
Sunday morning , stumbled on a nest site of a lesser whitethroat , the Male was showing well and alarm calling .
Red Kite over CLP at 10:15 am from Hallow and passed through heading towards Holt.
62 species seen .

Hi Jim,

I think you are right. The brood of 4 today definitely look younger than those present earlier in the week. If so no sign of the older brood and still only 2 adults. Strange......

Hi Patch ,
The 4 chicks i saw this morning just didnt look as big as the ones on Sunday although they were standing in water . The parent situation ive only seen 2 maybe a third adult but with only a few visits , and these birds probably sitting on eggs 3 weeks + who knows ---- maybe Roger B. can shed more light on the subject if he sees the present 4 young .
Good numbers of Swifts over Camp Lane and a couple of cuckoos in the dead trees in the water.
Roe Deer Holt as was a single L. Egret.

Attachments

• P1020660.JPG
    P1020660.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 56
  • P1020663.JPG
    P1020663.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 51
  • P1020664.JPG
    P1020664.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 48
I didn’t clock the number or size of the Redshank brood When i visited a week or so ago but the standard is 4 and the parents were highly vocal so they would have been freshly hatched and being told to hunker down. I haven’t seen more than one pair on any recent visits so i cannot see there being more than one brood considering the small territory available:t:

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

I managed 1100-1300 on site at Grimmers with most of it inbetween showers and was fortunate to bump into the Lord of Grimley with his bride in tow. Cursories were exchanged and i heard her say that the signs needed cleaning. These are the ones that say Private etc and they appeared to have some bird droppings on them - i will save her the effort when i next visit as i am not a fan of unnecerssary signage in the countryside. Also noted are the 'newbies' by the old barn c/w all the trappings of Horsiculture. Those fields now sport signs and electrified fences with the odd sheep - much beloved of 'weekend' farmers. Their signs state that there is no public right of way but please close gates etc and keep mutts on a lead. How long before they don't want anybody walking there? I don't know much about the tenure of the former workings and grazing etc but i thought that the pits were turned back to 'nature' and access was honoured by the Parish. It seems that a lot of it has either been sold or tenanted with bird interests and access taking a back seat - somebody, anybody, care to enlighten me please?

Still plenty of Reed Warblers singing and 2 Cuckoos heard. 2 adult LRP's were present feeding around where the cattle were. The Cetti's is still present over at the White Hart pool and a pair of noisy Oysercatchers went over. I had a nice chat with the chap who lives down the lane by the Wagon Wheel - the one with the Jack Russell and the large pile of wood in the field. He supplies apples to Bulmers and his co-op have 500 acres of orchard in the area. I press Cider with a mate so i will ask what varieties he has and liaseB :) Whilst there i took advantage of some Coriander which is now over and there is a lot flowering and a handful will suffice for Curries and Salads until my next visit.

2 calling Cuckoos noted.

For those botanically challenged birders with eyes only for the skies the word Orchid usually grabs the attention. On the causeway track betwixt the Marsh Frog and Hippo Pools on the left there are a single Pyramidal just coming into flower (bottom upwards) and 5 Bee Orchids. I do not recall seeing any there on previous trips. It would be difficult to miss the former as it is lit up like a Roman candle although the latter are quite pale and less discerning. One of the Bee has an interesting feature which i need to check on so i will post that picture later.....

Good birding -

Laurie

Attached: Pyramidel, Bee, Cow and LRP.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2704 Jun. 08 08.20.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2704 Jun. 08 08.20.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 33
  • ScreenHunter_2705 Jun. 08 08.22.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2705 Jun. 08 08.22.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 35
  • ScreenHunter_2706 Jun. 08 08.22.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2706 Jun. 08 08.22.jpg