• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bartley reservoir (1 Viewer)

Green sand again nr . church but no sign of common sand. Juv Iceland gull flew in to the res about 5.15 and was immediately chased round by the other gulls.

Firecrest seen last Wednesday along the Harborne Walkway lower path nr. the brook between Gillhurst Rd and the back gate of the WMBC reserve. Today (11/3) it was showing well above the tunnel where the Chad Brook goes under Gillhurst Rd. Also along this stretch; pr. grey wagtail, pr treecreeper, a number of goldcrests, LTTs, nuthatch nest building, pr. buzzards overhead, GSW ,tits,robins,blackbirds etc.

Having failed to connect with common sand, LRP and yesterday's avocet on my previous daily jaunts to Bartley , today I picked up a couple of reed buntings and my first whitethroat of the year.
After a very small passage of black terns and little gulls across the UK in the last two days I visited Bartley but it was not to be, but did pick up LRP on the ramp plus song thrush x2, whitethroat x2, willow warbler, male sparrowhawk ,reed bunting, swallow and a few of the regular gulls.

After a very small passage of black terns and little gulls across the UK in the last two days I visited Bartley but it was not to be, but did pick up LRP on the ramp plus song thrush x2, whitethroat x2, willow warbler, male sparrowhawk ,reed bunting, swallow and a few of the regular gulls.

Had another daily exercise walk along the south side of Bartley and the only new birds were a pair of shoveler and a singing lesser whitethroat. Also 6x whitethroat singing, song thrush, 4 x reed bunting, 2x willow warbler, chiffchaff, house sparrows nest building, kestrel, several prs of gt. crested grebe, a pair of mallard with chicks, 2 wheatear nr. Frankley church plus grey wag, pied wag, pheasant, fem yellowhammer ,goldfinches, swallows and housemartins.

Had another daily exercise walk along the south side of Bartley and the only new birds were a pair of shoveler and a singing lesser whitethroat. Also 6x whitethroat singing, song thrush, 4 x reed bunting, 2x willow warbler, chiffchaff, house sparrows nest building, kestrel, several prs of gt. crested grebe, a pair of mallard with chicks, 2 wheatear nr. Frankley church plus grey wag, pied wag, pheasant, fem yellowhammer ,goldfinches, swallows and housemartins.

Hobby over the SE side of Bartley this evening.

Not sure if this is the right place for this..
A couple of weeks back I saw a dark brown bird by the front of the church, flying away from the pond in the field. It had a white rump and shortish tail. It flew low and was sized between a blackbird and thrush. I’ve looked online and the closest to it I’ve found is a dipper, but they don’t have a white rump.

Dusk walk yesterday
Lots of swifts
Male bullfinch

This Morning
I startled a small deer, probably a muntjac, as I walked through bushes around the edge of res. Only saw hooves and tail as it disappeared.
Saw what I think could have been a nightingale, struggling to find a closer match in my books and online. I got a good look, small slender pale breast, no markings. Pale brown back and wings.

Cormorant flying over water then On platform showing off its wings.

Nightjar in Bromwich Wood, flew up from clearing by badger sets.
Disappointed that I don’t have binoculars as I would have got a much better look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back