• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

It should be. We've not yet gotten the 2019 ABA List Update, but if the parakeet gets added this go-round, they can count it.

Joe

The California Birds Record Committee added the Yellow-chevroned Parakeet to the California list back in September, so it is expected the ABA will add in the next update which will be announced by December.

Laura

Last edited:
A blog post about John's work back in Australia:-

https://birdingyear.com/a-big-day-and-night-at-aussie-ark/

Presumably now heading back to the United States and the north east for his commoner gaps unless there is a rarity to chase on his return?

Edit - if he picks up the North East targets - Great Cormorant, Little Auk, Purple Sandpiper, Black-headed Gull & Barnacle Goose (which would be easier over here!) and the four provisionals are accepted, Short-tailed Hawk in Florida would be the new record bird.....

All the best

Last edited:
A blog post about John's work back in Australia:-

https://birdingyear.com/a-big-day-and-night-at-aussie-ark/

Presumably now heading back to the United States and the north east for his commoner gaps unless there is a rarity to chase on his return?

Edit - if he picks up the North East targets - Great Cormorant, Little Auk, Purple Sandpiper, Black-headed Gull & Barnacle Goose (which would be easier over here!) and the four provisionals are accepted, Short-tailed Hawk in Florida would be the new record bird.....

All the best

I see that there are no recent records for either Black-headed Gull or Barnacle Goose, the previously found birds have appeared to have moved on. It also seems a bit thin for rarities at the moment based on the ebird notifications

The Deans and McQuades picked up Little Gull.
The McQuades officially moved into 3rd place for the Lower 48, ten behind John and twelve behind Olaf's record. This could get interesting.
John mentioned that he thinks the Continental record may become obsolete. While that might end up being true (one of my good friends, Josh Engel, has thought it likely that people will start favoring Hawaii trips over Alaska trips; nicer weather, less expense, still lots of birds), I think there will always be a place for US Big Years and Lower 48 Big Years. Just some random thoughts...

Joe

If John is back in the US, then perhaps his first stop should be Arizona for the Blue-footed Booby.

There appears little beyond the code 1 & 2 targets to attract him to NE or Florida at the moment

I haven't read the entire thread so may have missed any relevant posts, is John taking any 'carbon offset' steps?

Not so popular an issue in the US though I don't think.

Last edited:
Here's the current list for Lower 48 Big Years. The McQuades got the Blue-footed Booby. They could make this a very close race...

US – Lower 48 Big Years - 700+

723 Olaf Danielson-2016
721 John Weigel-2016
708 (+4) David McQuade-2019
708 (+4) Tammy McQuade-2019
706 (+1) Nicole Koeltzow-2018
704 Chris Hitt-2010
704 Dan Gesualdo-2018

Joe

Can I ask, ignorantly, why 'lower 48', only Alaska is higher whilst Hawaii is 'lower' than all others?

Setting myself up to look a tool I feel!

Can I ask, ignorantly, why 'lower 48', only Alaska is higher whilst Hawaii is 'lower' than all others?

Setting myself up to look a tool I feel!

Andy - So named before Hawaii was added I believe. Maybe now Middle 48?

Joe - 12 seems a big gap. Are there easy targets?

All the best

yep, as mentioned "Lower 48" is slang that was created before the addition of Hawaii. And a lot of birders that want to do a big year but don't have the money to be flying off to either of those two states pursue a Lower 48, because even with twitching it's just going to be cheaper.

Mysticete is correct. Most Big Year birders have at least one heard-only owl on their list.

That being said, John picked up Purple Sandpiper and Dovekie, so he's unofficially tied the Big Year record! And with a month to go.
He's finished off all the Code 1 species, with a handful of Code 2s still out there.

Joe

Attachments

• ABABigYears2019.xlsx
    138.3 KB · Views: 23
  • ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    618.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back