• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Northern Long-tailed Tit, West Midlands (1 Viewer)

Matt Griffiths

ad. ♂ Blackcap
A flock of Long-tailed Tits containing a rather light-headed individual has been visiting the bird feeders in my garden during the last two evenings. This evening it made three visits, and I managed some really rubbish pics on the second occasion before remembering my camera does video and got two video clips when it returned. Unfortunately it returned on its own on the last occasion, so there's no others to compare it with. Also I haven't seen it during better light yet.

Pics below. As can be seen, the bird lacks the black band above each eye, and the head is largely white with some very fine dusky markings. So far I haven't been able to study the extent of the markings on the belly/flank area. Are there other features I should look at if I see it again? Bird in question was still at fat balls in 5th pic. Will try to upload videos in a few minutes.

Would appreciate others' thoughts on its racial ID. Thanks.

Kind regards,
Matt

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 281
A flock of Long-tailed Tits containing a rather light-headed individual has been visiting the bird feeders in my garden during the last two evenings. This evening it made three visits, and I managed some really rubbish pics on the second occasion before remembering my camera does video and got two video clips when it returned. Unfortunately it returned on its own on the last occasion, so there's no others to compare it with. Also I haven't seen it during better light yet.

Pics below. As can be seen, the bird lacks the black band above each eye, and the head is largely white with some very fine dusky markings. So far I haven't been able to study the extent of the markings on the belly/flank area. Are there other features I should look at if I see it again? Bird in question was still at fat balls in 5th pic. Will try to upload videos in a few minutes.

Kind regards,
Matt

Matt,

Check out http://www.bbrc.org.uk/Riact.pdf and scroll down.

It states that they welcome images of birds that approach caudatus anyway so on that basis I would think you may as well submit.

Regards,

Stephen

Kind regards,
Matt

How's you French? Good article here...http://www.ornithomedia.com/pratique/identif/ident_art94_1.htm

Interestingly they rekon 2% of Dutch 'europaeus' have white heads.

I don't know enough to say one way or the other, but I was lucky enough to see a flock of about 20 'caudatus' on the river bank back in Dec here in Burgundy. They were lovely and all very clean white headed.

Good luck.

How's you French? Good article here...http://www.ornithomedia.com/pratique/identif/ident_art94_1.htm

Interestingly they rekon 2% of Dutch 'europaeus' have white heads.

I don't know enough to say one way or the other, but I was lucky enough to see a flock of about 20 'caudatus' on the river bank back in Dec here in Burgundy. They were lovely and all very clean white headed.

Good luck.

The above article translated http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...omedia.com/pratique/identif/ident_art94_1.htm

An interesting read.

Gareth

Very good WM record, would love to see this bird but i understand it could present you problems to release details and I respect your privacy.

Somehow the head doesn't look pure white to me, but it might be because of the picture quality. However, i can't exclude hybrid from these pics. I've seen some 10 hybrids caudatus x europaeus or birds with mixed features in Finland, but non pure europaeus.

IMO the ( faint ) markings on the head and the extent of white on the tertials would seem to indicate europaeus rather than the nominate. Still a cracking bird though.

Chris

Thanks all. I've been reading up on caudatus and europaeus features, so as the bird showed on two very brief occasions again today, I knew a few things to pay particular attention to. I'm leaning towards an intergrade/hybrid, but given the short amount of time the bird spends in my garden on each visit, I'm hoping for more views.

Yes, there are dusky markings on the head, darkest behind the eye and extending to the black neckband (which as a result is perhaps not so well-defined). Also the white margins on the tertials seemed rather thin (but it might've just been the secondaries I was looking at), but this and possibly a very slight hint of breast band I will try to confirm tomorrow.

Daniel, yes the bird came alone on its final visit to my garden yesterday evening when I videoed it. Prior to that I'd seen it in the company of a local flock. Interestingly, I think on every occasion I've seen the flock arrive this evening and yesterday evening, it's been the first (or one of the first) LT to get to the feeders, and the first to move on; also this afternoon I saw it briefly for the first time during proper daylight, and it landed on the feeders and was scared off by another flock member, it tried to land on them again but was chased off - suggesting that it isn't an aberrant local bird. I didn't see this behaviour this evening.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back