• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the Ozarks (1 Viewer)

I am a novice member from the US arkansas Ozarks. Browsing the forums I noticed that the rare bird alert forum has a sub forum described as "ride shares, lifts, etc for twitches". As a novice I am unaware of what a "twitch" is in this context. Google does not know either. Please define that term.

Hello oldjohnnybrown and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. A twitch is what the British birders call when they are going to a location to look for a rare bird that has been spotted - or at least that is what I understand. I’m sure you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi Johnny Brown and welcome to Birdforum. Lisa is correct to define a twitch as the act of hearing about the presence of a rare bird almost anywhere in the country from friends or by social media and then traveling as far as it takes to see the rare bird. A person who does this is a Twitcher. A birder is someone who is interested in birds but not all birders are twitchers.

Enjoy your visits here.

Lee

Hi Johnny and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Google “UK twitchers” and look at some of the images returned! Phalanxes several men deep, with spotting scopes all trained on one unusual bird. Birders in several European nations where you can reach most parts of the country by car in not much more than a day, and the standards of living and birding are high enough to support the hobby, make U.S. birders seem aimless and uninterested in list-keeping by comparison. A BBC documentary on twitching, or excerpts from it, can be found on YouTube, and it’s a treat.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back